Thread: Fasting both pre- and post-workout page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Fasting both pre- and post-workout

Primal Fuel
    I'm really tired today. After the gym immediately after work, I am planning on hitting the sack. Would 10g BCAA pre- and post- workout be sufficient to tide my muscles over until lunch the next day?

Rosencrantz1 is offline Member
    I train first thing in the morning, fasted, and don't break my fast until 1 p.m. I do 5-10g BCAA before and after my workout, and find that it all goes pretty well. Give it a try, I think.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Cool. What time do you normally eat food the day before? I am asking because I am on a previous day's dinner sort of schedule, and was wondering if I would be able to fast the full 24 hours, and then some, with the training stuck in between.

Rosencrantz1 is offline Member
    I do a pretty typical "leangains" style fast - 16 hours fasted, 8 hours fed. I usually feed from about 1 p.m. until about 9 p.m. (sometimes noon - 8), and fast from 8 or 9, through the night, until 1 the next day. In the morning I have a cup or maybe a cup and a half of coffee, unsweetened, but with a splash (really just a splash - like 1/4 teaspoon) of organic heavy cream. Then I have 5-10g BCAA, and go off to the gym. Post-gym, I have another 5-10g BCAA. Usually at around 11:30 (when I'm giving my daughter lunch), I make a little more coffee and have that. Then, at 1-ish, I break the fast. I usually break with a homemade smoothie (which is a scoop of whey protein powder, 1/4 cup organic, whole-milk plain yogurt, 1/2 cup coconut milk, a tablespoon of almond butter, a handful of frozen berries, and about 1/4 a banana) and a big-ass salad as well. I snack pretty freely, as hunger dictates, though the afternoon - a handful of almonds, a stick of cheese, maybe an apple, a slice of roast beef, maybe some jerky. Some days, there's almost no snacking. Somedays it's a lot more. I really don't sweat it or think about it, just try to follow what my body seems to want. Dinner is usually with the family at about 5:45, and is some kind of primal meal (tonight was left-over chicken cacciatore) and maybe a little bit of fruit or cheese for dessert. Between 6 and 8 or 9, I eat based on hunger. If I want something else, I eat it. If I don't, I don't. But the cut-off is 9 at the latest.

I also don't adhere to all of this TOO religiously. If for some reason I'm STARVING at 11 a.m. one day, I eat. Most days - really, most of them - I don't even think about eating until 1. If for some reason, I just don't eat again after 6 p.m., then I sometimes have a longer fast. I just let it sort of happen the way it happens.

For me, the IF has been amazing, though. I feel great all day, and I'm as happy with my strength and body comp as I've ever been. Stats: 41yo/M/5'10"/153lbs/about 11% bf, give or take a 1%.

Hope this helps!