Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US trip soon page

Shamia is offline Senior Member

US trip soon

Primal Fuel
    I live in the Netherlands, but will be travelling to the US for a holiday. Yay!

We intent to do a road trip through Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida.

Road trips to us mean: drive a day, stay at a cheap motel, visit town/city, sleep at same motel, drive on.

This will come down to eating at road side eateries a lot. Are there any places you guys can recommend that are less bad? We don't have a lot of fast-food/road side restaurants in the Netherlands, other than McD, BK and KFC.

Also, if there's lingo for how to order a coffee at Starbucks (whole cream, no sugar, coffee), I'd appreaciate it!

Thanks

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I think you're better off in grocery stores, period. They're everywhere. Buy a cheapo styrofoam cooler or two and maybe some thrift store plates/utensils if you don't want to go w/ disposable and you're good to go. I'd rather demolish a rotisserie chicken any day than eat at McD's. I do have fond memories of the Waffle House chain for breakfast type stuff which I find the easiest meal to accommodate when eating out. Bucky's? I speak plain English just to annoy them.

If you're in some out of the way small towns keep your eyes open for roadside bar-b-que or catfish or other regional food often just sold out of a food truck. Mississippi/Alabama was a bit of a culture shock for this lifelong Yankee, I'd be curious to know your impressions upon returning.

If you're in that part of the country I'd also make it a point to get to New Orleans.
    Last edited by IvyBlue; 06-04-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    Paula Deen has a restaraunt in Savannah Georgia, it's very good Southern cooking....some of its probably not so primal but hey it's vacation.

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! I do intend to grocery shop a lot, buy veggies (I know the Southern cuisine is not using too much vegetables) to eat on the way. Road side BBQ sounds good! I've already been to New Orleans, but that was way before Katrina hit. I'm not sure we will be able to make it that far south this time. We only have two weeks of road trip, followed by one week beach cottage in Miami.

How was Mississippi/Alabama a culture shock for you? I expect a lot of red necks in Alabama (I like that!), I don't know what to expect from MI to be honest.

Thank you both for replying!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Most of our fast food chains are garbage, so I agree with the advice to buy food in a supermarket that's ready to eat, or something easy like cold cuts.

However, the one chain that I will make an exception for, both because their food is damn good AND they have higher quality, sustainably raised ingredients is CHIPOTLE. You can look up their locations on their website if you want to see if there are any in the areas you'll be travelling.

Chipotle: Food With Integrity

Also, you're going to be travelling through prime BBQ country...I'd highly recommend eating as much local BBQ as you can - there are many different styles of BBQ, so it might be fun to compare them - i find yelp review to be very helpful, but just ask a local for their favorite BBQ place - they will be REALLY excited to give you recommendations.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 06-09-2012 at 11:23 AM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with coffee. Have been on Canada's west coast for last two weeks and coffee rarely rises above bad. No good coffee ever came out of starbucks. Best I've gotten is by ordering double espresso, but still insipid
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi are sort of miserable for road trips (sorry if I offend anyone from those states). In Tenessee, Chattanooga and Memphis are pretty interesting. My parents live in Florida, and it's beautiful, but you sort of have to seek out cool places around St. Petersburg , Sarasota (the Ringling Circus museum, art museum and house are amazing). Tampa has Busch Gardens. where in Florida are you going? If I were taking a road trip, I'd hit up North Carolina, for sure.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You don't come to this continent for a vacation and expect to eat healthily. Enjoy the funnel cake.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Oh, yeah, you can always drive by a Carl's Jr. (as they are called in most of the south) and order a lettuce-wrapped burger.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You can yelp to see what is available in the local area as you travel.
    I have found some fabulous dining searching Chowhound. (Search within area forum using name of the city your in)
    Down home South
    BBQ Tour
    Swine Dining in Georgia
    Shrimp an Grits, redeye gravy, bbq, etc I would blow the 20% trying different foods, enjoy your travels.
    Last edited by springnr; 06-10-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast