Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life page 47

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It is but it isn't. I've been doing them for ages. I like how completely they work the delts. Plus with 30lb dumbbells they really engage my core which is why I do them the way I do. Just had to pick up a heavier weight. You can only get stronger by doing, so I figured what the hell.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I do mine using barbells. They also work the core. Not sure that it isolates the delt the way your method does, but I also know for sure there's no way I'd be able to do a 30 lb dumbbell. I can barely do 12's when I use dumbbells for shoulder press - but I can easily do a 45 lb barbell (x10 reps x3 sets) and added weight (x5 reps x3 sets) up to 75 lbs (at least I could last summer... it's been a while since I've done more than 45x10x3).
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Well heck, you don't have to start with a 30 pounder, lol!

For strength training, it's not important that you can do 10+ reps. That's how it differs from bodybuilding. I never lift to failure and I stick to 5-6 reps before moving the weight up. If I can bang out 10+ reps, it's not enough weight. When my lifts get too easy I load on more. So for single-arm Arnold presses, I started with I think a 20lb dumbbell, then 25, now 30. The 30 is work but I can do 5-6 with each arm, sooooo I will have to move up soon. Since there isn't a db in between the 30 and the 35, I may check out the kettlebells to see if there's one at 32 or so and use that.

Same with all my other lifts. I got to the point where I could bang out 3 sets of 5 deadlifts with 166lbs, so moved it to 185 for a single pull in 5 sets. Yesterday I did 2 lifts in 3 sets. Working up to being able to do 5 lifts in 3 sets. Then I'll add weight.

It's very different from how I was training all my life. Then I did higher reps, lower weight and trained to failure with each session. The result was that I wasn't stronger than I am now despite YEARS of lifting and I was sore all the time. If you don't lift to failure, you're not tearing the muscle down to rebuild it, which makes you sore. What you are doing is training muscle response. So it's a totally different methodology, with different results. I don't really care about making big muscles, I want to be able to lift and carry my kayak without having to worry about distances or time. I also want to deadlift twice my bodyweight one day and keeping to light weight and high reps will never get me there. Well maybe not twice...I don't know, are there women who can pull 300#?
    Last edited by June68; 04-07-2014 at 12:23 PM.

This is just what I'm doing CURRENTLY, while training for the marathon. Once the marathon is over, I'll be doing heavier weights with fewer reps. I'm currently only lifting enough to keep my muscles 'awake' while marathoning.

Don't get me wrong...I wasn't saying you have to train like this, only that it's a different approach than some take. Certainly do what works for you.

Not sure if it's "working" for me, but it's breaking up the monotony of running ALL. THE. TIME.

Being bad at math means

I accidentally pulled a 203 lb deadlift.

Lol.

I thought it was 183 which is pretty close to what I was working with, but my usual gym is closed because of some burst pipes and the substitute gym has different plates. After the lift I was kind of light headed, which usually happens when it's a tough one and so then I looked at the plates again and laughed. No wonder I was dizzy!

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    Nice (accidental) job!! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks. Accidentally on purpose...never thought that would be a training technique. lol

Yesterday I was sore from it and the rest of my workout, but still got out and climbed around in Chesterfield Gorge -

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647