Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life page 46

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've never tried KB. I was told you have to have your form right or you can really screw things up, and I guess that worried me, so I've stayed away.

Tired must be going around b/c today I am wiped!!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, form is super important with kb swings, but once I got it, I got it. I watched some Pavel videos and took some pointers from my husband who has watched tons of Pavel's videos. And I read a book by a woman whose name escapes me. Even months away from it didn't make me forget. The thing is...if your low back starts to hurt, you're doing it wrong. I find that when I get sloppy and have a bad set, I know right away and correct it. If I have a few of those, I stop because I'm probably too tired. Great HIIT workout though. Nothing gets your heart moving quite like swingin' the bell.

Am going to drive 3.5 hours each way for a 1 hour meeting tomorrow. Oy vey. It's important though. 11 elementary schools are getting mobile safety systems for the teachers and it's a contract worth 1/2 a million bucks so I gotta go. I hope I can stay out of the internal politics of the town...they're arguing a bit about the best configuration and I really don't want to get caught in the middle. Ugh. So it will be a day of sitting on my butt. Good time to fast and I think I'll cue up a Carl Hiaasen book to listen to. He's always good for a laugh.

Safe travels!

It was all good except almost being jammed into the guard rail 3X by idiots. Good thing I am observant and have mad skillz. Must be all those track days.

Oy. Anyway...I think the gym is helping my shoulder. After only 2 visits, today I was able to do Olympic bar squat (even tried some front squats where you hold the bar in front and it is hard to breathe - not sure I'll be doing those regularly) and I could also bench with weight on the bar. Not much, but it's a start. I think it's all the hanging I get in while I'm there. I can almost put all my weight on my shoulders, but not quite. Still I think the stretching has really helped. I just wish I could hang here at home. I am sore today so will probably have to take some painkiller at bedtime. Ah well.

Glad to see you had a (relatively) safe trip and that you're getting back in the game.

A quick update -

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Hi peeps. I'm still Primal and lurk way more than I post, but I thought I'd pop in for a sec to update since it's been 6 months or so.

Last week in preparation for a powerlifting meet, my husband and I went the whole week without alcohol. 5 days. The most weíve done in a really long time. We laughed about it, but it was a pretty serious event and one that had good results. We slept better and itís that effect that will probably keep me off the wine during the week for the foreseeable future. Not waking up drenched in sweat. Not staying awake for hours because my body canít regulate temperature well. These are good things. Besides what it was doing to my ability to process nutrients (donít think youíre getting it easy, liver, just because you donít have to detox booze anymore!) and I put on a few pounds. Not good. So I think with this experiment behind me, I can make the commitment to be alcohol-free pretty easily. During the workweek that is. Weekends will still feature bourbon and wine Iím sure.

Diet remains the same. Primal all the way. If I canít eat what I want, I either bring my own or fast. Either way is fine with me and way better than putting something in my mouth that wonít do me any good or will make me feel lousy. This has never been a struggle for me and it puzzles me how it is for a lot of other people. Just donít eat it. I donít know, seems simple to me.

What is more of a struggle is getting more exercise. I only lift once a week and during the winter I walked even less. Snowbanks were high, temperatures were low and those just gave me ďreasonsĒ to indulge my laziness. At least they were illusions of excuses. Lifting only once a week is pure laziness. I really should work in one more day. And Iím getting to the point where Iím really curious what would happen if I did. Lifting once a week for the past year has increased my strength quite a bit and I wonder what would happen if I actually worked at it.

My deadlift is at 185 for 3 sets of 2 and while it isnít easy, I donít feel like Iím going to pass out either. Squats are up to 115 for 3-4 sets of 4-5. Benchpress is stuck at 95lbs for 3 sets of 4. Single-armed Arnold presses are up to 30lbs for 3 sets of 5-6. Then I walk around the gym with loaded carries for a bit - 35lb single arm suitcase carry and a rack carry with either the same dumbbell or a kettlebell of similar weight. Those will make you tired!

Overall not bad, but I think I could do better if I worked at it a little. Weíll see if I can muster up the discipline.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Hey stranger!! Glad to see you're still alive and apparently doing very well.

I am one of those people who hear the calls of food. Even if I'm not hungry, if it starts to call to me, it's difficult to ignore and I usually will cave. I did that two weeks ago while out for dinner with some friends and now it's becoming a sort of epidemic or something! I wish I had the ability to just fast. That would be fantastic! I'm not sure if that's a skill one can develop with practice or if it's something one is born with. Likely a skill.

Great work in the gym! Impressive numbers. Do you do overhead presses at all?

Tarzan is offline Junior Member
    Good for you. My story is very similar to your story, except I am male. I am also 44. I was the gym rat since my Junior year in High School. I cant even imagine how many hours I spent in the gym throughout my 20's and early 30's. For the last 7-8 years though, my time in the gym slowly declined until I stopped completely. Of course I had every excuse in the book for not getting to the gym (kid's activities, business pursuits, lawn work, etc. I stumbled on this site just this past Sat and after spending a couple hours reading it, I told myself, enough is enough! I went from being lean 215 lbs to being a soft and flabby 255lbs, lol. This past weekend I stocked up on meats, veggies and fruits and thew the case of soda in garbage. I also walked 7 miles (sat and sund).... good luck to you - let the journey begin!

Thanks Jenn. I am still here!

Arnold presses are overhead presses. Here's how they're done bi-laterally, which I don't do.
    -

I do them standing one arm at a time. With enough weight, it really engages the core...abs, obliques and spinal erectors.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yikes! That looks tough!

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast