Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life page 41

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks much. I do try to find hidden beauties.

Back from a routine doctor's appointment. Despite my saying my allergy symptoms were pretty much non-existent, she gave me a sample of some nose juice (spray) anyway. I think she was pretty mystified at my lack of desire for new drugs, but she did lower my dose of Advair. I told her I went a few weeks without taking it and without symptoms, and she did agree it's good to experiment from time to time.

I've dropped even more weight since the last appt and she asked me how I did it. My answer blew her mind. She didn't argue with me or order a bunch of tests, but I know it wasn't what she expected to hear. She consulted the BMI chart and said the average healthy weight (or some such) is 10 pounds over where I am now, so I guess that's good. Then I came home and ate eggs, bacon, guacamole, yogurt and berries. Oh yes, this diet is sooo scary. Funny though. Who can argue with vibrant health?

Anyway...that's my update. All is well. I keep my moderate exercise and diet hasn't changed. I can't wait for my CSA to start up and am so thankful the hens started laying early so I could ditch the supermarket eggs. I've been out shooting more which is always good. Bugs are back though. I don't miss them in winter.

Took a prospective client to lunch yesterday and he was floored that I ordered a steak with double veggies. We talked about Primal and how my husband and I have improved our health and weight by adopting it. He and his wife are about our ages and are helpless against the 'thickening' as he put it. So right. I basically told him our story, gave him some science and the Primal Blueprint to google and he's definitely interested. If we bring him and his company on as a client, I'll have to see if he dives in.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Congratulations on a great doctor's appointment, a potentially successful business lunch and success at spreading the Primal message! Awesome news! If only every day were so successful. Can't wait to see more of your photos!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Thanks.
    Here's one I finished processing yesterday. It's an early-blooming wildflower called hepatica. They're fairly elusive and a favorite.

Very pretty.

thanks much.
    I found out it's my lens that is flaking on me, not the camera. Still it irritates me beyond belief. I could go get a new camera, which would be a new system and cost me a couple grand to do right with all the stuff I need. Ugh. I know the image quality will be much better, but I'm going to get the lens fixed and see. I am still planning to buy a kayak and that's probably the same amount of money and I really can't do both without a financial strain. Ugh. First world grievances, I know.

Anyway, I went to the gym to lift today. Added a bit-o-weight here and there -

Deadlift - 135lbs (up)
    Flat bench press - 65lbs (was doing inclines with this weight, but flat uses less of the deltoid and so this is good I can lift it)
    Squat - 95lbs
    Military press - 55lbs
    Bent rows - 65lbs

I also did a bunch of hanging leg raises. I can do more and lift higher with the same amount of slow control so that's an improvement. Then I carried a couple of 30lb dumbbells around for a bit and then curled them a few times. Funny. I was tired, but it was a good tired. Still walking and swinging the bell. Have increased my work to rest time with the bell, but not the weight.

Haven't lost any more weight, but it's funny, I think my body composition is beginning to shift. The eddie bauer jeans I bought are looser on me now than they were when I got them. Got another pair that actually fits even better since the waist comes in more. Only have 3 pairs, but they should do for a while. Even if I don't weigh less, my body composition should continue to improve.

Look at that! We're at about the same capabilities for weight.

Deadlift: 145
    Bench Press: 90 (not incline)
    Squat: 90 (I thought that b/c I can DL 145, I should be able to squat more than this, but seeing your numbers says that I'm about right).
    Overhead/Military Press: 65
    One arm bent row: 35
    Plank: 1 minute

I'm also not losing any pounds but the body is changing. People ask me all the time how much more weight I've lost and they're shocked when I tell them nothing b/c they say it looks like I have. I honestly don't care what the scale says. It's an arbitrary number. My sister weighs less than me but looks bigger and wears bigger clothes... She carries more body fat than I do, where I carry more muscle than she does. Body composition is definitely a less arbitrary number.

Isn't that funny? I guess starting strength for women is pretty even. Keep up the good work. And sorry about your dog and your graduation situation...I wish you got some more support from your family.

Today I felt like showing off. There were a bunch of 20-something men on the deadlift station and I asked them to leave the heavy rubber weight in place. Some of them were lifting much more than that, but not all and when I added to it too (only 20lbs) they just looked at me. Surreptitiously. Not gaping or anything. But it was funny. I reset almost every time I went down, but I feel like that keeps my form and prevents me from killing my lower back. It was work and I only did 2 sets of 5 without going to failure, but that's how to build strength. Also kept limber and warm by doing hanging leg raises in between. I think I'm ready to add some weight to squats next time, too. Just a little.

This week is a deload week. I'm only doing about half of what I can do as a way to recover I guess. I'm using Strength Standards (Strength Standards) to design my plan.

Next week, I'll DL 150#, bench 95, squat 95, and OHP/MP 70. Today is a 3 mile run day.

Thanks for the comments regarding support... I guess personal interests trump all... Oh well. I don't want them to go if they don't want to be there. That'll just make it less enjoyable for me than to not have them there.

Primal at One Year

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow. Time really does fly. A year ago this seemed like a drastic change and maybe something I couldnít sustain. How wrong I was. Judging by the MDA forum threads, youíd think this was wicked hard. Itís not. Maybe itís just me, but switching to Primal and staying Primal has been no problem. Sure, sometimes I wish eating in restaurants was easier, but itís not the end of the world and I always find something I can manage. Bad oils make me unhappy though, but itís not often and itís not excruciating. I cope. Ditto with eating at parties and other functions; I do the best I can with whatís at hand or I bring something Primal. I donít let my family or acquaintances push me around or pressure me into eating something I donít want to. I just do like Nancy told me all those years ago - I just say no. Yeah, I have it easier than some because my husband is enthusiastically embracing Primal - it was his idea, after all. We are so much better now, it's like we're 10 years younger.

For me the important thing is to realize how great I feel. Itís hard to remember the absence of something, but hereís a list of things that are better or completely gone -
    • Chronic aches and pains (no more daily ibuprofen!)
    • Eczema (not one flare-up in a year)
    • Rough digestion (very rare, & usually after I eat something iffy)
    • Zits (I used to break out regularly, not anymore, skin much better)
    • Restless leg (used to be a few times a week, now itís rare)
    • Allergies/Asthma (no allergy symptoms, asthma much better, lower meds)
    • Self-loathing (I love me again!)

Remind me why I should go back to the SAD?

This will be our 2nd year buying from local farmers. Because weíre in New England, we donít have access to local, organic veggies all year and so in winter we do eat conventionally farmed veggies both fresh and frozen. Same with meats. We do buy locally raised, pastured and humanely treated animals (pork, beef and chicken), but we do supplement with conventional meats, too. No itís not the ďpaleo idealĒ, but itís reality and because so much of my diet is clean, I donít get bent around the axle about it. Stressing about food is probably worse than the little bit of chemicals Iím ingesting so I let it go. Maybe if I lived in a softer climate, I would be able to get closer to paleo nirvana, but Iím not so Iím not going to torture myself over it.

Iím excited that the growing season has arrived and in a couple of weeks our farm share starts up again as do the local farmers markets. Yay for fresh, local veggies, fruit, cheese and yogurt. Our egg source has been producing like gangbusters since April and so weíre off the supermarket eggs. Woo hoo! I love this part of Primal living. Supporting my local farmers gives me such a jolt. Itís great.

As far as exercise goes, Iím keeping 3 things in the mix and not killing myself with any of them..

1. Walking - I used to walk several days a week for a total of about 20 miles. I thought it would help burn calories and get me thinner. When it didnít I thought it was doing something to keep me from getting fatter. I was wrong, but it was enjoyable and I still do it although itís probably once a week now. Enough to keep my feet conditioned, but thatís about it. This doesnít include any hikes or photography walks which though fewer, are still part of my life.

2. Kettlebell swinging - Thanks to my husband who took this up first, I started doing this almost immediately after going Primal. Itís a basic, explosive movement that really gets your heart going.. I still use my 16kg (35lb) bell and have increased my work to rest ratio. It seems to be a good high-intensity workout and has no violent joint impact, which is nice.

3. Strength training - Real strength, not pretty muscles. Itís different and having done the other, I know that itís different. It feels different and I think my body composition is changing in response. I donít weigh any less having started, but I do seem to fit into my clothes differently. And Iíve seen improvement in just a few weeks at 1-2 visits to the gym per week.

I still make time to play and my sleep, while still interrupted and I canít sleep through the night, is about as good as it can get. Photography remains my creative outlet and I shoot at least once a week. I just bought a kayak and so paddling will be part of my recreation and relaxation. I try to keep my brain engaged through reading and of course, work. When Iím at home working I have a stand-up desk and my stamina has improved and I stand or pace most of the day. Doing all these things and maintaining all the changes is no problem and Iíve settled into the Primal life pretty easily. Sure, I could probably drink less wine and munch fewer pistachios, but Iím happy with things as they are. Iím thinner, have better energy and people who havenít seen me in a while definitely notice. I guess 25 pounds makes a difference.

Mentally and emotionally Iím much better than I was when I was fat. Because I kept gaining and gaining despite my best efforts not to, I blamed myself and for the first time since I was a teenager, I didnít like myself. I hated my body and what it had become and how powerless I was to control it. Ever stricter diets and exercise regimes didnít help and after a few injuries that sidelined me, I quit trying to be healthy altogether. I was resigned to be the fat girl. My self-esteem plummeted and I suspect that after losing my job in 2009, I became depressed. I was at an all-time low.

Thatís over and done with. Now I have control. I am not quite at my ultimate goal weight, but I donít feel trapped and powerless anymore and because Iíve made such progress, Iím happy. My self-esteem is back and depression and self-loathing are history. I know for a fact that I wouldnít have gotten the job I have now if I hadnít turned my life around by going Primal. I wouldnít have had the right mental attitude or belief in myself to pull it off. I probably would have spiraled lower until I lost all interest in life. I knew it was happening at the time, but just didnít care. I hadnít been happy in my body for a long time and I couldnít see a way back to health. I feared aging and how much worse I would feel. What a lousy condition. No more.

Well, Iíll get off my soapbox now. Going Primal changed my life and Iím grateful to Mark for putting the info out there. Iím glad I was open enough to learn, gutsy enough to change and mindful enough to stay Primal. Itís not hard. Living with myself before Primal was hard. This is joyful.

Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast