Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life page 32

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Congratulations!!! Awesome progress! And beautiful shot!!

I find that 500 mg of magnesium at night is enough to knock me out each night, provided my kids don't wake me up a couple hundred times a night.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

June68 is offline Senior Member
    I'm still around and if anyone's interested I've gone off my asthma meds.

I still have 2 inhalers in case symptoms return, but after the insurance company pissed me off about a co-pay, I decided to see if I could manage without meds. It's been since November 6. Not a big deal, right? Well for me it is. I've been a SEVERE and chronic asthma sufferer since I was 4. They even had to take away MY PONY!!

That's right.

Asthma cost me Golden Boy, my palomino pony. In what universe should a little girl lose her pony?? It's a wonder I'm not a raging psychotic.

Anyway...after years of everyone telling me I'd grow out of it, living in a house that very nearly killed me (pets, wool rugs, wood stove heating) and attacks that lasted 12-36 hours and would leave me rigid with exhaustion, it only got worse. Hospitalizations were frequent. Every cold I ever had turned into bronchitis. I went on antibiotics at least once a year if not more. Prednisone became a constant companion; oh those cute little stair-like dosepaks. Every new drug that came out for asthma I tried. Lots of things with the word 'cort' in them. Oy.

Once when I was 26, I went to the emergency room TWICE on Christmas Eve.

Yep. Twice. So many nebulizer treatments. Chest x-rays. Lots of epinephrine (the ONLY fun part - wheee!). Oy. Fake Christmas trees in my future after that.

So around 10 years ago I went on Advair and have been virtually symptom-free ever since. From using my "emergency" inhaler 10 times a day (really, I did) to maybe twice a year was a life-changing thing. I wasn't chained anymore. I wasn't scared. My twice-annual visits to the ER ceased. Wow. I even lived through a bout of pneumonia, something previous doctors said I couldn't do.

Now having this same result without the drugs is doing my head in. The things that scored high on the allergy panel are still in my environment. Pollen, dander, cats, dogs, mold, dust mites...all that stuff is still around me, but hasn't caused me symptoms in the last 10 days without meds. I guess altering gene expression is something within reach. Something I always thought was a bit of a stretch if you know what I mean. Like, oh sure, I can suddenly talk my body out of reacting in a way I don't even control. Like autonomic nerve function.

But it seems I have. Putting it together I suppose it goes like this - overall inflammation and immune response is down. My system is no longer so intensely stimulated, meaning the overall level of irritation and need for immune response is less - I'm not in a constant state of high alert. Now when an irritant enters my system it can be dealt with effectively, suppressing symptoms that would normally punch through the very minimal response my body was able to mount in the past, with all the resources already working so hard. And possibly my gut is no longer riddled with holes that allow foreign bodies to get through and screw with me.

So, there is hope. I'd love to be one of those rare individuals NOT ON MEDS in middle age. It would be amazing to go back to my doctor in the spring and tell her I haven't been using any prescriptions since November. I think she'd be stunned. And I'd love to be the cause.

That is amazing news! I'm so excited for you! I hope it continues to improve like this. No one should have to deal with something as debilitating as not being able to breathe!

P.S. Glad you're back.

Hey thanks.
    What a coincidence that today's email has a question about asthma. Funny. But I feel great and still no meds. It's stunning.

And I had a terrific conversation today with a CEO about a job, so things are looking up. There's a way to go with it, but at least I feel like I can return to working and be a productive person again.

Even more great news!! Keep it coming!

Well my lay off the asthma meds experiment came to and end last night. I got rattle-y (phlegm-y) yesterday evening so took a shot of advair. Ah well. It's an improvement I can hardly believe so hopefully it's the beginning of the improvement, not the end. Maybe I'll try going without it again in the future and compare.

As far as the job goes, things are moving fast. I talked to the HR woman yesterday and she said Mr. CEO really liked me and now I will talk to a director level person today at 11. I haven't interviewed for a job in a while so it was like a crash course with me cramming like crazy. What did we do before the internet? (oh yeah, I have resume and interview coaching books around here somewhere) I racked my brain for good questions to ask and answers to give, but google is my friend and I came up with some more. Some I don't agree with, but it's all about style and wanting to make the best fit. Part of me knows that this kind of prep and excitement will only lead to depression if I don't get it, but I gotta really try. It's time to go back to work.

As part of my excitement and prep I've been trying on all my old professional clothes, you know Brooks Brothers and Talbot's. I'm a tweener. Size 10s don't really fit me well, size 12s are too big. For most stuff. Oy! But at least I have a few good clothes to interview in if anyone flies anywhere or to start work in should I be lucky enough to get this job.

Things continue to move at hurricane speed. I talked with the director yesterday for a little over an hour. We hit it off like a house on fire and it turned more into a strategy discussion than anything else and by the end of it she was using language to describe activities in the job that put me in that role. Like, the engineer in that territory will be moving to an inside position, so we'll have to replace him which will be good because you'll be part of the hiring process and can choose someone who suits you and set the tone for how you'll work together. I love it when hiring managers do that. She also asked how soon I could start and they want someone in that job in December to get a lot of training out of the way by 2013.

2 hours after that conversation I got a meeting invitation for Tuesday morning for a call with the COO which is what the Director said would be the next step. I'm wicked psyched and hope this next discussion goes as well as my first 2. According to everything people have said so far, the CEO likes me a lot and so does the Director. Now for that COO. I'm feeling very confident and will be surprised if I don't get an offer.

The funny thing is that if this happened without me being Primal, I doubt I'd have been able to pull it off. I've only worked this hard over a potential job once before. That was 10 years ago when I was about the weight/size I am now. If I'd still had those extra 20lbs though, I'm not sure I'd have gotten this far. My confidence is back with a vengeance and I think that's made all the difference.

I remember in the last couple years going to job interviews in clothes that were less than ideal because none of my good clothes fit me anymore. Sometimes I'd have to wear shirts untucked because that top button just wouldn't close. How humiliating. No wonder I blew an interview so bad that I felt like walking out in the middle of it. I knew it then that I was blowing it, but couldn't correct my course at all. It was awful. Granted, it wasn't an ideal job, but I think had I been on top of my game I could have landed it.

Granted, this has all been on the phone so far and not one person has laid eyes on me, but still, that inner surety comes through loud and clear. And I'll be more than ready if someone comes to meet me or if I'm flown to meet them. My professional wardrobe fits and is classic enough to not be out of style. Being Primal definitely made this all possible I have no doubt.

Now I'm doing a little chicken counting. Not much, but I can't help fantasizing about having a substantial income again. My poor husband has been shouldering the load himself for 3 years now and my first order of business will be to take over all bill paying. I also realized how little I can get along with. Before I pretty much indulged every whim of consumerism that I had, but these last few years I've had to do with very little since I had no income. So hubby and I decided that if I do get this job, we'll make a more concerted effort to save money. I'm sure our investment guy will like that. I am buying myself a new tripod and tripod head though. Oy, my old one is a workhorse, but so cumbersome. And if Olympus makes the camera I want...I'm getting one. Hee hee.

so anyway...for all three of you who read this, thanks. I had to get some stuff out.

KimT is offline Senior Member
    I read, so guess you may have at least 4 followers! I just don't comment often. So awesome! Sounds like you have lots to be thankful for!

Thanks Kim. I do. And I hope I have even more next week!

On another note, I find that many days I'm only eating two meals. This will probably change if I get this job, but right now I eat breakfast pretty late - 9 to 11am - and if I do that, usually I'm not actively hungry until 4pm or so. That's too close to dinnertime to warrant me eating a real meal, so I usually have cheese, nuts or salami as a snack. This is even true on days where I'm not in the field taking photographs. I think I'm still losing weight though. The stubborn pants that just refused to fit are now loose on me and I'm heading to a solid size 10.

Anyway...that's a stray thought. Now for some fog.

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast