Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life page 31

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hmmm... interesting that they would fear a camera as a detonating device...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

June68 is offline Senior Member
    It's an all or nothing thing I think. Same goes for an ebook reader like a Nook or Kindle. They don't have the time to deal with people sneaking in exceptions, so a blanket "anything with an off swtich" applies. I understand it, but fundamentally a lot of it is silly.

Kale anyone??

This was taken on the way to Hahn Winery, it's in the Salinas Valley, America's Salad Bowl.

actually now that I look at it, I think those are collards up there.

One thing I think we're going to think about more is doing our own cooking while on vacation. We've NEVER done it before because most of the time we don't have a kitchen, but on our very last night we did and decided to brave the hideous San Jose traffic to find a grocery store. The one we found was a huge Asian market and lo and behold we found some good things to work with -

No oven, so we had sauteed pork belly, chicken legs, zucchini and tomatoes. We had a lot left over and didn't eat all of them. I feel bad that they probably got thrown away, but what the heck. The funniest part was using only tiny packets of salt and pepper for seasoning. If we decide to stay in a hotel like this in future, we'll probably bring a few little baggies of other spices. And some olive oil. But that's later.

I brought home our side of pork yesterday and we're having the chops tonight...might have to break out an extra special bottle of wine since it's our anniversary. Maybe a Domain Serene Evenstad or an Argyle sparkling. I was just rooting around in the wine fridge (what a big mess, I really gotta do an inventory) rearranging stuff that we should drink soon. We're so unorganized. I can only imagine what the freezer is going to look like when we get our side of beef. Oy!

I noticed, but didn't participate in, a thread about low carb on a totally unrelated board. Amazing how much confusing and erroneous info is out there. Granted, I fell for it, too and spent many years doing the totally wrong things believing I wasn't, but boy does it seem pitiful from this side. Not that I think I'm perfect, but I'm doing the basics and I feel awesome so I don't want to tweak or change. I was tempted by some Milano cookies on vacation, but it wasn't hard to resist. I just didn't want to run the risk of feeling shitty. Not at this stage of the game.

Oh and this is funny - last night I dreamt I had a beer and that it tasted awfully sweet and I didn't like it. In the dream it felt forbidden and strange, but I was laughing so I guess it was good. I forgot about it until later, but my husband will get a laugh out of it.

Been doing a lot of walking and now that autumn is upon us, I expect it to continue...fall in New England is heaven. Still swinging the bell and doing a little lifting. Nothing intense. I'm still strong enough to lift and carry the big box of pork which had to be 60-70lbs and awkward with it, so I think my level of fitness is pretty good. Hopefully will do some higher altitude, more intense hiking next week in the White Mountains. Come on weather...give me some color, baby!

Beautiful picture! Brad and I are making a day trip to Wisconsin tomorrow. The leaves always change a bit faster north of us, so I'm taking the camera with me. I can't wait to see the reds!!

I remember taking a family trip back in the day (I think I was 10) and we stayed in a suite. The suite had a kitchen, but we ate out for every meal. That wouldn't happen now. When my husband and I went on our honeymoon, we stayed in a cabin on Table Rock Lake (it's near the Ozarks in Missouri, but closer to Branson, if you need a landmark). We got food for the week and cooked at the cabin every night. It was nice. We ate some lunches out, but most nights we utilized the grill. That was our first experience with a Tri-Tip sirloin and since then haven't been able to find one locally, but Wellness Meats carries them. Plan to get a few in the future. We loved it.

Half a beef... that'd be so nice to have. I have the number for a local grass fed farmer. Gotta check her price against a not-so-local-but-local-still farmer that sells over the interwebz... whichever one is cheaper will win my biz... We have the opportunity to buy a pig - a whole pig - from a local farmer for $125 plus processing, but I don't think his practices are up to Paleo standards. I'm sure he feeds grain and soy to the pigs... maybe not soy. Have to ask him. But they are pastured, so at least they're happy pigs. If only that was enough...

Thanks Jenn. I hope your trip went well. From your journal I know you got dropped in the shit, but you're sorting it. I read it, but as I'm not a mom and have had exactly 2 fights with my husband in 18 years, I have no advice to give. I couldn't do what you do on the best day, so...I hope you and Brad make things better for all of you.

Anyway, I've been keeping on. I need to put my nose to the grindstone about an idea that got some validation the other day by someone in the industry I'm thinking of serving. Fall keeps getting in my way although the weather has been shitty for the most part. I do like being able to go out and do some fairly long or strenuous hiking and feel totally energized and not have to eat. Saves time for more photography -

Alcohol continues to be my sticking point. Some of the wine we ordered while in Paso Robles last month is coming in and I have to do quality control, don't you know. Oy, sometimes I wish I'd never discovered wine beyond the supermarket basics. Now drinking water with meals seems childish and the food seems incomplete.

I also wish my husband would come home. I'm sick of cold steak which is all we have for leftovers. Cooking just freaks me out and I don't dare do much beyond bacon and eggs. Ruined failures of the past haunt me. He thinks I should try slow cooker stuff, but even that spooks me so I didn't thaw anything since he's been gone (Sunday). I've watched him cook for almost 2 decades and you'd think enough would have sunk in to make me brave, but not really. I should have him actually teach me. Eating primally is a LOT more work than SAD, that's for sure. Maybe I should be come a raw vegan.

Well, I can feel this lovely coffee percolating through my veins so I think it's time to swing the bell!

Beautiful pictures!!

Cooking really isn't that difficult, really. It's just heating food. With practice comes more confidence. I hope hubby returns quickly and is willing to teach you - or maybe you can look into culinary classes at a local community college to help teach you the basics??

Oh he can teach me...stuff like time, temperature ... it baffles. I need concrete parameters and I know a lot of cooking falls outside that so...it freaks me out. But he knows this about me (at least he should by now) and can cope. Eeek. The funny thing is, I make killer risotto.

Anyway, I forgot a couple of things in my last post.

I've noticed that while I'm still waking multiple times a night, I stay awake for less time and I now sleep until about 7 again. Right in line with sunrise. This leads me to conclude my sleep is getting better and that it's definitely tied to the diurnal cycle. Things will probably get weird when we move the clocks again, but at least now I understand why I was waking up so early in summer; because I get up with the sun and it gets up earlier then. Interesting. I'd never really noticed before.

Second, intense exercise does make me ravenous. I did 20 minutes of kb swings, plus 5 mins TGUs w/the 25lb db as a warm up and then 5 sets of 'pick up the baby' with the bell. Wanted to do more swings, but my wrist said no. It's pretty exhausting and even though I just ate quite a bit, I still feel as though I could eat more. I won't. Not until actual hunger pangs ensue, but it's funny how my brain thinks I should eat more. I definitely feel the difference between this workout and walking or hiking. Maybe it's because usually when I'm hiking, I'm distracted by photography, but walking doesn't produce this level of psychic-hunger. No wonder people go nuts when they exercise a lot. Being mindful of this will help me not eat since I know that I don't need it either calorically or nutritionally.

Your brain is telling you to eat b/c your leptin is telling your brain you just worked out and that burned fat and now your fat stores are low... leptin, based on what I've read, is the start of EVERYTHING in our bodies. Luckily, your mind knows that leptin is being dumb.

I think you're right, Jenn. I know some don't have the ability to rule their own bodies, but I do. When I know I've eaten enough, I just ignore my desire to eat more. The feeling nags for a bit, then fades.

Even though I'm not active here, I'm still Primal and haven't left the path. Sometimes this new way of fueling myself surprises me. I went hiking yesterday. No big deal. I wanted a sunrise from the top of a mountain, so headlamped myself up Mt. Major. Steep, rocky, running with mud and water. Yay. Basically did it on very little sleep and a breakfast of a couple macadamia nuts, yogurt and coffee. No problem and felt energetic and good all morning. Freezing at the top and wicked windy so my panorama shots are soft and I'm not sure I actually even like them. I struck gold on the way down though -

I put a fair bit of work into that shot, all while racing the sun so it wouldn't get high enough to blow the highlights in the water. Just made it.

Anyway...sleep continues to be my big problem. I NEVER sleep through a night no matter what. Neither does my husband. It's insane. We do our best to manage blue v. yellow light, limit late computer time etc, but we still don't sleep all night. I've mixed in melatonin, magnesium etc, and zero effect. Sometimes supplemental melatonin makes it worse. I try to get outside regularly so that my own levels regulate, but it seems I sleep worse now than ever. Maddening.

In a few minutes I'm leaving to see my GP. I wonder if anyone will ask about my weight loss, which as far as I know, is still at 15 pounds. Substantial enough to call attention to it I think and I'm sort of excited to hear feedback.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Official doctor's office scale weight loss is 17 pounds!

New # is 162!

Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast