Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life page 26

June68 is offline Senior Member

An open letter to Stefani Ruper

Dear Stefani,

As much as I admire what you’re trying to do in the name of womanhood and ancestral eating, I don’t like being tarred by your brush. This might come as a shock to you, but I have never binged, had an eating disorder, been dysmorphic about my body or used my hormones as an excuse for bad behavior. Maybe that makes me a special snowflake, but I am still a woman and you don’t speak for me.

Saying that it is inevitable that women binge on bad food, do other irresponsible things, and that it’s not their fault perpetuates the myth that women are slaves to their hormones. Sorry, but I have self-control. You know, that thing we try to teach children about. Just because you have an urge (or a biological signal) to do something doesn’t mean you HAVE to. For someone all about empowering women shouldn’t that be something to focus on? Sure, I have PMS symptoms, but never have I let that be the cue to become an asshole and expect everyone to just let it go because it was ‘that time of the month’. Haven’t we all been sick of some guy saying that as an excuse for some woman losing her shit? It doesn’t sound any better out of the mouth of a woman. I’m an adult. I have understanding and can rein in my emotions and put on my big girl dress. Please don’t assume that I either encourage or want hormones to be my raging bitch hall pass.

Also I can’t help but notice that chip on your shoulder. Oh no, did I just put my foot in it? Probably, but there it is. Yes, the world is largely run by men. Yes, there are injustices based on gender-discrimination. Yes, women get the short end of the stick a lot of the time. But if that’s what you go around looking for, you’re gonna find it. Some of your perceived sexism comments just strike me as funny. A bottom-of-the-barrel scrape to find something to fit with your world view, blog and be upset about. Because without that, what have you got left? A lot I would imagine, but that axe just needs a bit more attention, doesn’t it?

I know you mean well, but not all women are dysfunctional or slaves to their hormones. Not all women care about kids or having them, and so frankly Rosedale’s idea that longevity should trump fertility is right on with me. But somehow even well-meaning women keep perpetuating the idea that women who don’t want children are somehow lesser beings, unworthy of their womanood. Fuck that.

In closing, I know this came on a bit harsh, but in my search for a woman-oriented paleo-is blog, I keep hoping that yours will be the one that suits me, but it doesn’t seem it will. No skin off your nose, I’m sure, but I wonder how many other women you could reach and help if you toned it down a bit and started recognizing that not all women are breeders with emotional problems and body dysmorphia who just can’t keep their head out of the Hagan Daz carton.

Respectfully,

June68
    Last edited by June68; 08-15-2012 at 05:40 AM.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    +1

I haven't read her blog, but I can tell by your comments above that it's not what I'm looking for or what I need. Thanks for your "review". Hope all is well with you!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

thanks Jenn.

It strikes me as funny that if a man ever wrote any such thing like women can't help binging because of their hormones; she'd come down on him like a ton of bricks. It's not any more right or sensible when she says it. It's like a Jewish person telling Jewish jokes; only they can do it, but it doesn't make it right.

So things have been going pretty good. I've been keeping on track with both eating and exercise. Until today that is. Had to cancel swinging the bell because my wrist is killing me. It hurts doing other stuff, too, so it's not specific to that movement. I think maybe I slept on it in a mashed position and now it's complaining. Hopefully it works itself out.

Another book arrived by surprise (I never know what my husband will order next) and it's pretty good. Review here - Life is too short to read bad books.: Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, 2012. I'm really bad about remembering specific recepies though and really have to be more diligent. Our meals are becoming very same-y. Grilled stuff with basic seasonings and combinations.

I still peruse the threads there, but don't feel much like participating. Partly it's because I'm not very experienced in this WOE yet and partly it's because it seems so futile. People are going to do or not do whatever they like regardless of what I or anyone else has to say about it. I'm finding my own way in this lifestyle (oh how I loathe that word) and I'm not incapable of reading critically, taking things with a grain of salt, or applying logic and flexibility; all of which I think are vital to making myself healthier and living in a way that doesn't give me grief. Sometimes all of the chest-thumping and soap-boxing that goes on in these circles is tiring. That's not to say it's all negative, but enough of it is that I just can't get too involved.

Anyway, that's it for now.

I'm feeling the same way. I'm still technically finding my way and don't feel qualified to give too much advice yet. I've been wanting to read Practical Paleo, but haven't bought it yet. Off to read your review! Have a good day.

Sorry for blowing up your blog. I just read all of your reviews of the "health" books. I'm excited to get a couple of them. I've wanted to read Primal Body Primal Mind for a while now, but haven't gotten it yet. Practical Paleo is also on my wish list. I'm not sure about Good Calories, Bad Calories. While I love science and studying metabolic processes, I don't know if I want something so "dry" as you described it. Right now I'm reading some "light and airy" Stephen King. lol

No worries at all. It's why it's there. I'm a voracious reader and review almost everything I read. Usually I've got several books going at once. It's crazy. I haven't reviewed Taubes's Why We Get Fat yet, but will probably do a double-whammy when I finish The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Drs Phinney and Volek. Then I'll call it quits for a while on the nutrition reading front. Enough is enough sometimes.

I ordered Primal Body Primal Mind on Amazon last night. $10 on Kindle. Thanks for the review.

I hope you're having a good day.

I hope you like it. I should amend my review slightly. Upon reflection I find some of her ideas to be out there. Pertaining to microwave ovens, electro magnetism and alcohol. It's a bit strange that it didn't jump out at me so much when I read it. I suspect it was because I was so emotional at having found a possible way out of my weight situation and the misery it causes.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Got out in the woods today for a bit of a ramble. It's mushroom season so I spent a lot of time on the ground!

It's funny how much this type of slow movement must resemble foraging. In a way, I am foraging, but not to eat, to photograph. I walk slowly, looking down and a few feet off the trail into the undergrowth. Occasionall I stop and look far into the undergrowth if a particular area catches my attention. When I find something worthy of shooting, I stop for a while and work. Such similar visual scanning and movement to what I'd do if I were trying to find lunch down there.

Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast