Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life page 22

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't think the program point in each book is a problem. Everyone has to start somewhere with this WOE and they both provide some structure for experimentation. That's good. I just worry that my well-read bro & SIL will both think it's some kind of fad or gimmick when it isn't and I know it could help both of them and their already semi-ruined 7-year-old. It's a tough call with this kind of thing. Ah well. It will work out.

Now I think my stomach/gut stuff wasn't hunger. It's back and I think it's the peas I ate yesterday that are the problem. I'm gassy, boated and feel just plain yuck. Wanted to go to a FM today, but I don't want to be that far away from a bathroom. Oh I know, TMI, right? Oy. No more fresh peas no matter how yummy they are going down? Why is that??!! Gah! The best food is always the most problematic. I love fresh, garden peas (and even lit up when a line like that appears in my favorite Philip Marlowe book), but look what they do to me. Granted, it could be the nitrate-free sausage, the cheese or even the tea, but I doubt it.

{sobs}

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    It's too bad the peas are a bother to your system. I love peas. We have been having them so frequently recently, however, that I'm quickly starting to get tired of them. I buy them frozen in those steamer bags. Sometimes they 'strings' aren't removed, and I think that's what I'm tired of - picking strings out of my mouth. *le sigh*

But, a pea is a legume, so maybe that's the trouble you're having... The pod is good for you, but maybe the legumey part of it is taking away from the goodness?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

hmmm....we eat them frozen, too, and I don't have this with those. Maybe the freshness? The pod? The vitamin-y goodness? The tangy snap?

{grabs hanky}

next it will be

I just know it.

Damn you universe!!!!!

Phew. I think my digestive issues are over. Bleah.

Slept ok, but woke ridiculously early. Read. Surfed. Got up just after 6 to make coffee.

E | 5 mile walk
    B | 1 hen/1 duck egg omelet w/cheddar, mushroom, tomato, sausage & shallot | 1 strip bacon (to munch while cooking) | 8oz V8

Sigh. Just tried on my fat pants and I'm still too heavy. Not one millimeter of improvement in weeks. I'm losing hope. Just another diet that's failing. I joke that I could live on a concentration camp diet and not lose and I guess it's no joke. People will say it takes time and that I should calorie restrict and cut out more and more food, but how long and how much denial do I have to impose upon myself? This is ridiculous. That red dress looks like it will be forever out of reach.
    Last edited by June68; 07-19-2012 at 08:38 AM.

I have seen this written to many people who worry that they're not losing weight: Your body has to heal first before it'll shed anything it considers to be excess. If your body is damaged (leaky gut and whatnot), it'll take time to repair and will utilize the nutrients you consume to do that before it uses them to shed weight. I don't know how much truth there is behind it, but that's what everyone seems to be told. Have you searched the message board for "Why am I not losing" threads? Maybe they can offer some insight.

I will say, though, don't give up. It will work.

I haven't given up. I haven't left the tribe. I just needed to pull back and reevaluate the Primal spin which is often rapid weight loss for everyone. Yeah, maybe if you're an ectomorphic man (Mark) it happens, but if you're a mesomorphic woman, not so much. Also I needed to reset my goal in the light of the fact that fitting into my magical red dress by Aug 11 isn't going to happen. I have other fat girl clothes I can wear, and it still gets me down, but all is not lost.

I've been keeping 100% primal in diet and exercise while I was away and I think that daily journaling just isn't healthy for me; I obsess to much and that's not good. I should have known it because I over-analyze everything to death. I am a nerd and that's what I do. I think. Constantly. My brain never. shuts. up. Anyway...that's where my head is at.

Read and reviewed It Starts With Food. Clearly, I'm not the right audience for that book. I read Richard Dawkins for fun. Two different worlds. But it is good to get other perspectives. If you really liked the book, you may not want to read my review, but here it is - Life is too short to read bad books.: It Starts With Food by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig, 2012 - I don't totally slam it, but I am critical. Eh, whatevs. That's why there are so many books, so we can find the ones with the information delivered in a way we are attuned to. I'm about 1/2 way through Why We Get Fat and it's not perfect either. Overall now, I'm leaning toward giving away TPB and the companion cookbooks for Christmas. I think the plan he illustrates is more comprehensive and has more actual working tools, activities, strategies and advice than do the other books I've read so far. At least as far as my family goes, which includes parents, bro and 2 cousins with young children who will benefit immensely.

Also we've inquired about a CSA that has a satellite pick up spot 5 minutes from my house. It will mean great savings on produce per week and what's better than local produce that costs less? Hopefully I hear soon and we can start up. Otherwise I or we hit the FMs each week and stock up. Still haven't heard from my meat and egg guy so I'll have to email him again saying we need to move fast so either tell me you have meat available or that you don't. He clearly needs help interfacing with his customers so I might just pitch myself as sales liaison and see if I can get me a job.

Well, I'll shut up now. Gotta shower...am gross from my bout of lifting heavy things this morning. Ewww TMI.

cmlloyd Guest
    I am sorry you are not having much luck with the losing weight part, but can I offer something in maybe a hint of it..... You are lifting heavy things, requiring muscle fibers to grow. More muscle fiber, more water retention. Also muscle is denser and I know I k now a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, but hear me out. I didn't start losing weight until I did the following. Stopped lifting weights, walked slowly - some sprints every now and again. Only walking every 2 days. push ups. and squats. crunches. totally body weight.
    I eliminated ALL sweeteners and ANYTHING processed. (well except Ultra beer, low carb) I IF till dinner twice per week, when I do, I do NOT exercise.
    If I am IFing and I feel the slightest bit of hunger I grab water, if it doesn't go away I grab some almonds and that usually takes care of it.
    SLOW is really hard for me. I am exmilitary and an ex gym rat - so for me to go "workout" and not put 2 hours into it and still lose weight amazes me.
    BTW I eat at least 1 piece of fruit a day. once or twice a week I have a sweet potato with butter. Lots of sunshine too
    my weight has been coming off slow, but it is coming off. If I have something sweet it's the real deal. NO sugar free fat free. real actual non man-made stuff.
    I don't know what to suggest but this is just what I have found that works for me.
    And for criminiy sake stop over-reading about it. Too many contradictory statements about one thing will drive you batty. Eat natural good foods, walk, be calm, get sunshine. Something good has got to come for you I believe it will!

hey thanks. I think it all had, or maybe still has, to do with my expectations and the whole primal spin of rapid, effortless weight loss. Exercise and probably dozens of other factors come into play that make everyone's results different. I still believe in it though and even preached it a bit (with some other bacon eaters) at a big BBQ we went to this weekend. We managed to still eat all on plan, but the quality of food wasn't as good and I felt it a bit. Nothing major, but now that we eat pretty clean it's easy to tell when we're not. Oh and big news.

I lost 10 pounds!

There was a scale in the fitness center at the hotel and I got on it for a laugh. Granted it's not the same scale as in my docs' offices, but it's in the ballpark and it says 10 pounds have gone missing from my body. Hooray!

I didn't exercise for doodly over the weekend so I might have a walk later today. Swing the bell maybe.

I have to agree with cmlloyd. It's easy to overanalyze if we read too much. There are so many conflicting rules depending on whose take of Primal/Paleo you're considering. I mentioned on facebook about buying bacon at the farmer's market today and someone told me paleo doesn't allow bacon b/c what she'd been taught by someone else said so. There are a million different versions of paleo/primal and reading about them all just breeds confusion.

I'm glad you're not giving up on it. And cmlloyd might be right that the reason you're not seeing the immediate results that are advertised is because of the weight lifting, but also, your mileage will vary from someone else's. Whole30 works well for me. Easily, 10 lbs per month. But it's also very restrictive - no dairy, no sugar, no grains, limited oils, no white potatoes, etc, etc, etc. I know sugar holds me back terribly. Just this weekend I gained 4 lbs b/c of sugar (and possibly salt).

I think the key is to tweak your diet to fit your chemical make up once you finally get the hang of the diet change. Once you've gotten used to eliminating all the man-made foods, tweaking becomes the next step in optimal health and effortless weight loss.

Glad you're still around. Good luck. And congrats on the 10 lbs lost!!!

cmlloyd Guest
    YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! on your LOSS!!!! you are such a loser! I'm mean that with the greatest love!
    Forgive my sloppy punctuation. I hope that it will motivate you to continue to be at 80% good
    It has to work you have been doing so well - and that's right around what I have lost and you and I have been doing this about the same amount of time. So we must be on track - on some kind of track anyway! I hope it contiues to be a healthy and downward track!
    And thank you jenn26 I was afraid I was going to come off rough, but I'm glad I didn't

Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast