Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life page 19

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    Thanks Louise. We're both lucky in the fact that we're both adults, not merely grown-up children, which frankly, I find more and more adults to really be.
    Oh how right you are... With age comes new "toys" - booze, cars, late nights, fast food... I think I'm an "adult" while my husband is just a grown up child.

i love "It starts with food". Great book. I'm in the middle of it somewhere now. it's really deceiving on the Kindle in regards to how far into it you are. I'm on like chapter 13 or 14 and still only half way through. There are 22 chapters and two appendices in that thing! I ordered a hardcopy as well as the Kindle version, it's that good. I want to keep it around as a reference material - may even re-read it after I read it to highlight certain things.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

June68 is online now Senior Member
    My husband has read the free chapters on his kindle ap and will probably end up ordering that one. I think GC,BC is too scientifically dense to hand out to most people, even though it presents the most compelling evidence I've read so far about why avoiding sugar and flour is so important and how the cholesterol myth was foisted upon us. ISWF or Why We Get Fat might be good for outlining not only the cause, but the solution for newbies, although I have a hard time with ISWF's author images. They look like plastic, barbie-people to me. Lifestyle coaches of sickening cheerfulness and bleached teeth. I've been evaluating their blog, too, and they seem fairly inflexible about things and that rubs me the wrong way. Still, I'll probably end up reading it.

I see their inflexibility as being a push toward OPTIMAL health. Sure, life doesn't work that way, which is why the Primal Blueprint is so great and the Whole30 is only 30 days... but for those striving for OPTIMAL health, the authors push 100% compliance. Most here aren't looking for optimal health, just much much better health.

I'm personally doing the Whole30 for weight loss, but it's helping with so much overall that I will be hard pressed to bring dairy or sugar back into my life on a regular basis. After reading their chapter on dairy, I'm struggling with whether or not I want my kids to consume dairy any longer.

The thing with the Whole30 is that it is an elimination diet. It's not intended to be lifelong. I'm further along in the book, so I've read the parts where they say "Try it for 30 days. Cut [insert food item here] for 30 days. Evaluate how you feel and try reintroducing it after the 30 days. If things get bad, get rid of it for good. If not, you can probably keep it". They say this about dairy, primarily, as most people can tolerate dairy well, but some don't know that they can't tolerate it.

even if you ignore the pushes for whole30 and ignore their appearances, the information they put out is still very useful and very easy to absorb and understand.

They have their schtick, for sure; the Whole30 and if it works for them, great, but I'm looking for an optimal LIFE and if eating cheese causes my slight nasal congestion, so be it, I will use modern technology to solve that one. I'm not looking to food to cure my every ill at the expense of pleasure and I'm not living in paleolithic times and so I will use modern medicine, too. I've already cut things that were intensely pleasureful to me and cutting more isn't going to happen unless there's some overt reason for it. I'm reminded of those hucksters of old-timey miracle cures. Not that what they say is wrong or misleading, but it sure seems as single-minded and one-size-fits-all. One drumbeat for ever and ever and ever. That's my impression without reading the book though, only their blog, which I suppose was the test-bed for the book to some extent. But, like I said, husband will probably order it and so I'll probably read it. No dogma is perfect. We just use our heads and follow things that work for us and so far Primal Blueprint is working and more importantly, it doesn't suck all the fun out of life.

Personally, I don't think the Whole30 suck all the fun out of life, but each person is different. When I first learned of it I thought there was no way in hell I could give up dairy. I knew sugar had to go b/c the Primal Blueprint said so, but dairy? Come on! I finally mustered the strength I needed to tackle the Whole30, gave up dairy for 3 weeks, then reintroduced it with the introduction of too many antibiotics, and felt horrible as a result. Instant bloat, 4 lbs weight gain... it wasn't fun.

I'm not saying cheese is gone forever. I like cheese. LOVE it in fact. And I miss sour cream. Might bring those two back as things progress, but milk and yogurt are gone gone gone.

If I had a dairy affected condition, I would have no problem with it being gone forever. But like I said, I'm doing this for quick weight loss and to keep me on track. I don't seem to have any problems with following the PB 80%, but I still have a weakness for sugar and the W30 helps me keep that under control.

And you're right. Their website was the starting point for their book. They started in 2009 when Dallas was researching things regarding his sister's RA (he's a physical therapist) and when trying it out, noticed his tendonitis in his shoulder went away. So the wife tried it and felt better, so they sold it to the sister, who's RA improved. And they branched off from there.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Hi, I was reading through your journal and I think it's interesting what you say about the different camps and factions in the Primal/Paleo/Ancestral world. It can be dizzying at times. I've just finished some of the books you mentioned and came here (I am a total Newbie).

I am also put off with the Science community, big Agribusiness, and maybe the entire medical industry, lol! I think you are right in listening to a wide range of ideas and adopting what makes sense and works. People get lost in argument over details, when they agree on generalities.

Loved the rants!

I should mention, like DCarr, that I also liked your rant. I agree that science has been skewed by money. It makes no sense to me how people can discover these fallacies and the faulty logic and present them to the world, but it does little to change the way things are done. Surely someone has presented this information wrapped tightly with a pretty bow to those who tout the advantages of grains!

And the USDA disgusts me. They have their hands on everything food related and I find it unfair and possibly even immoral that they would continute to tout the benefits of grains while there is so much compelling information that says otherwise. Farmers won't budge b/c they get money from the USDA to run their farms by way of subsidies and tax breaks, so from a greedy financial standpoint they're just as bad.

Hopefully the Paleo Nation can get larger and larger and eventually effect change on the way this country eats and feeds its loved ones.

Right on, Jenn. I often wonder what it will take though. Probably kids dying before reaching breeding age. It's starting now, but not in substantial numbers. Maybe then someone will think clearly and clean up our food.

L | salad w/steak | 5 macadamia nuts for dessert

Now we got to get to watchin' our Real Food Summit videos. We're a tad behind!

I haven't watched them either...

Well I'm kinda pissed.
    The first day is/was supposed to be the 9th.
    Which is today.
    I can't get any of the first batch of vids to play. At all.
    The time zone thing is killing me.
    Emailed Sean, we'll see what happens.
    This sucks.

Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast