Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life page 18

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So yesterday was fun. Sat at a table full of non-primal stuff and wasn't even that tempted to have any. Someone sat down with a hotdog though and that was a bit tempting, but I didn't have one. Stuck to what we brought and it was good. The pesto cole slaw was a big hit! Went on two paddle boat rides with my mom and it was like old times. Our little outings became known as the booze cruise because we weren't going to leave our drinks on shore!

Slept fairly well, probably from exhaustion. I drank a bit too much and had a headache when I got home, but some advil sorted it out and I probably got around 8 hours worth of sleep. Drove hubby to the airport and came home for coffee.

B | coffee w/mct oil | berries & full fat yogurt |

Went for a walk in the woods at my town conservation property. Got all squealy and excited over a wildflower I hadn't seen since I was a kid - wood lily, and also my old familiar indian pipe which I love. Hiked up to the heron rookery where there are anywhere from 30-50 nests. The youngsters are still at home, but all flappy so I bet they all fledge in the next couple of weeks. I'm so glad I have this close by me.

L | 8oz Newman's lemonade | left over peachy chicken salad | cheese

ETA -
    more proof that this WOE is taking the weight off. I have a holster style camera bag that is worn around the waist; it sort of rides the top of my hips. I had to cinch it in this morning because it had slipped down too far and was uncomfortable. Yay for smaller hips!!

D | 3 leftover chicken drumsticks | beets | cucumber wedges | water | 7 macadamia nuts and berries for dessert
    Last edited by June68; 07-05-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Bleah.
    No more MCT oil in my coffee. It's too much and ruins the experience for me, which is why I drink the stuff in the first place.

Slept decently last night, woke around 2 for an hour or so and then slept until 6 so got 7 hours or so. I think that might be as good as it gets, but time will tell.

Should have lifted something heavy before breakfast, but lately I've spent so much time hot, sticky and sweaty that I just couldn't face it. Maybe later.

B | coffee | 2 hen eggs in b & bf | 2 bacon strips | 2 sauteed mushrooms | the rest of the V8 which was like 3-4oz

Today is going to be a hot one, so I might just stay inside and veg...or do laundry...I don't know. The idea of getting all gross though does NOT appeal.

I've been doing more paleo/primal/ancestral diet exploring on the web and boy, is it a frigging war out there or what? I mean, it seems everyone is fighting and there are a lot of dividing lines all over the place. People segregating themselves into camps and alternately following or decrying one person's method/approach. It's ridiculous. It's natural, of course, humans are contentious, vain and have easily injured pride/egos, but some of what I see just seems to be spite for the sake of it. Like early vegetarians and vegans, the paleo/primal/ae community is a fringe one, with very little mainstream acceptance and it seems foolish to divide that already tenuous alliance further. The one-size-fits-all attitude is very puzzling since many of the people I see espousing this WOE understand more about biochemistry, digestion, endocrine function and exercise than most people and they should know that not everyone functions 100% like everyone else. Still they try to force their POV and box people in saying there is only one way to do this. Stupid.

My husband and I have always been more critical than most of dogmas and doctrines; we always approach anything new we want to do in this way and we inevitably adopt some things and ignore others. This WOE is no exception. We looked at the PB first and found it reasonable, functional and adaptable. We looked at some other systems that are more stringent (read less fun and functional) and have used some of what they proscribe as reinforcing agents for ideas and processes we're already doing or trying to do. Take so called safe starches as an example. After reading TPB we decided that once I get to a weight I'm comfortable with, we'd experiment with adding risotto and white potatoes back into our meals. Our opinion is that those foods are the least carb-heavy and nutrient poor, and that eaten in lower quantities than we did before shouldn't put us over the top in terms of carb load. Plus they're not overly processed, crammed with sugar or laden with toxic chems. Our choice though and no one is going to arrest us if we add them or continue to ignore them. Maybe we'll be excommunicated from Primal, but I don't really care. We're going to do what works for us within the framework of a non-processed sugar and flour perspective. Why other people can't or won't think like this is maddening and I think makes the "community" as whole suffer.

Anyway...end of rant. Happy Friday, peeps.
    Last edited by June68; 07-06-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: grammar, doh!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Definitely YAY for smaller hips!! Great job!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Thanks Jenn!

Doing this without a scale is a different experience than most I think and so I have to take my observations where I can. I tried measuring, but unless I mark the places with a sharpie, there's no way I can be sure I'm measuring the same place, so I gave it up. Clothes, and now my holster bag, will have to be my indicators. And that stupid red dress.

L | salad with lots of steak | cheese | water
    Last edited by June68; 07-06-2012 at 11:45 AM.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    It is hard to ensure you measure the same spots each time. Having been in the army and failing the weight standards every month, I got really good at measuring myself - I can measure myself to reach certain objectives, depending on what those objectives are. For instance, I can measure my neck accurately and get both 14 inches and 15 inches depending on what I want to accomplish (a bigger neck = smaller body fat percentage with the Army body fat test). Forearms and wrists can't really be manipulated, but hips can by simply putting the legs together or spreading them to shoulder width. I got REAL good at taking measurements.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

See, I knew it could be tricksy. : ) My hubby was tickled that my camera bag slipped down and had to be cinched up. Although he hasn't said anything about my weight gain, I'm sure he's happy he will get his formerly sexy wife back again. Seriously, when we met, I was hot. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but damn, if I could have that body back again. Sigh.

Anyway, not much happening. Drinking my coffee w/stevia & half & half. No MCT oil. I still think it tastes weird. But I need it. Was awake again in the middle of the night for 2-3 hours. Just awake. Then RLS set in and I had to get up and try to walk it off. I hate my body sometimes. Makes me mental. I have a feeling I'm going to have to go back to drugs to sleep. Oy.

PDD | Ketel One martini, up, dry with 2 onions
    D | grilled chicken thighs w/skin | grilled asparagus | pesto cole slaw | 201? Talbott Logan Chard

Husband downloaded the first few chapters of It Starts With Food on his kindle app and he's going to get the hardcopy for us soon. He likes it better than Primal Body, Primal Mind for sure. He finds some of Nora's ideas and assumptions to be too out there and while I agree on some of them, I still think it's a valuable book. So it looks like we'll be adding the Whole9 book to our collection soon. Between all these nutrition books, the David McCullough book I got last week on Americans in Paris and the 3 non-fiction audiobooks I got yesterday on sale (Dawkins - The Selfish Gene, Fischer - Washington's Crossing, Drout - The Anglo-Saxon World (lecture series)), I will be overloaded on non-fiction reading. The new Reacher book will hit just in time, I think. Sigh. I so have a literary crush on Jack Reacher.

Am pushing ahead with Good Calories, Bad Calories (oh, and hubby ordered the 'lite' version of this, too, Why We Get Fat - oy, he's a menace, isn't he?). It is proving to be exactly as frustrating, aggravating and maddening as I though it would. The so-called scientists doing all these studies were so fucking bent I don't know how they could have still called themselves scientists. Their bias, unscientific method and outright lying makes me want to hose them all down with an AK (which makes a distinctive sound when fired). They set us up. I can't refuse to believe it any more. They. Set. Us. Up. We were duped. Misled. Fooled. Bamboozled. Taken for a ride. And they still won't admit it. I'm only on page 69 and I'm appalled by the hubris, stupidity and greed. I shouldn't be. Scientists are human, too, but dammit, they drank from the politician's trough and boy did it stick. Scientific method be damned, let's just follow the money.

Gah. Sorry. Rant over. I even dropped and f-bomb in there. But I really am steamed about this.

Anyway, husband is up. The wrens are singing (and so is Larry) so I'll go try to be relaxed. Cheers, peeps.

B | berries & cabot full fat greek yogurt | 2 coffees (one w/heavy cream - you should have seen the reaction of the Starbucks folks. Hilarious.)

Hit the farmer's market, got some nice stuff including wicked good goat's milk raw yogurt (and a freebie bit of cheese!), some beets and lovely greens for salad. oh and found some raw heavy cream to try in my coffee. It's also local from the natural food store.

5 mile walk - it's in the 80s with a generous dollop of humidity so I'm glad there was no sun
    3 x ?? kb swings

S | 2 HBEs | and probably some of that goat cheese with some celery soon
    Last edited by June68; 07-07-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Phew!

This morning was another intense one, but I like working out with my husband again (we met in the gym in 1994). It's so cool that we don't have to go anywhere though, except when we walk, but it always leads to home, so it's good.

So anyway...after that little snack yesterday it went like this

D | ribeye steaks | brocolli | leeks | salad | 09 Denner Syrah (which makes me wish I had a giraffe tongue so I could lick the bottle clean) | 4-5 cherries for dessert

Slept better, but still woke a few times. RLS again so I got up, walked, stood and then in a fit of pique, did bicyles on the floor. naked. With the cat watching me in the dark. that part was funny, but hours later when all he did was walk on me, bite me and meow in my face, he became unfunny. Ugh. At 6:00 I gave up and just woke up for good and of course the stupid cat settled down. Oh Larry, you are my fuzzy little nemesis sometimes.

After coffee with my new heavy cream, I think I used to much. It has an intense grass/hay aftertaste that overpowered even the french press coffee. Not sure if using less will result in a better experience but I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Today hubby and I did some HIIT kb swings, then he taught me some lifts (one simulates picking up a toddler and really works the pectorals - wow!), I did some carries (suitcase, not ready for waiter carries) and then did 2 jump rope sprints. Felt a bit nauseated after that, but had breakfast and I feel better.

B | 1 hen egg | 1 bacon strip | 2 almond flour pancakes | 1/2 bratwurst | berries - blue, black and rasp

He just cleaned out a few things from the basement in preparation for the probable purchase of a chest freezer. And later we're heading to a farm to see their operation and buy some grass-fed beef and maybe a few other things. It's not the place I'm familiar with and it will be fun to meet new folks and see another operation.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds to me like you and your husband have discipline and good sense. Look back to a point in your life when you were disciplined, and feeling good, and reach for those feelings of success. You two are lucky that you have each other as support --- sounds as though so many members on this forum are not supported by friends, families or spouses.

It's been refreshing for me to dip back into very healthy habits -- I feel I have been over-indulging the past few years and I needed to get back to a place of very clean living. Day 13 for me, and I feel tranquil and 'just right'.

Good luck and see you along the journey!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Thanks Louise. We're both lucky in the fact that we're both adults, not merely grown-up children, which frankly, I find more and more adults to really be.

The rest of yesterday was good. We drove back roads to a farm for some meat and came away with 2 pork chops, some ground pork sausage, some ground beef and a london broil. Just so we can see how it tastes. Stopped at a couple of antique places on the way back in hopes of scoring some larger plates for our now super-sized dinners, but alas, none to be found. Also stopped at my favorite kettle bog and saw that some cool flowers are coming up, so I might hit there at sunrise tomorrow. And I'm bringing some kind of container because the blueberries are fairly bursting off the bushes. We ate a lot of them yesterday...did actual foraging, lol. I guess that was our lunch.

PDD/S | 1 HBE | cheese | chardonnay
    D | grilled pork chops | sauteed spinach | mixed veg | 09 Lucienne Pinot Noir | cherries

Slept ok. Woke a couple times, but with extra melatonin I took at bedtime, was able to get back to sleep. Woke up at 6 with pesty kitties, but thankfully no biting or squawking.

Coffee with less cream is better: less grassy tasting.

Mowed the lawn, did some laundry, cleaned the kitchen and had breakfast -

B | 2 sausage patties | 1 bacon strip | 1 sauteed mushroom | 2 fried eggs | 4oz V8 | goat's milk yogurt & berries

Now planning to spend the day reading Good Calories, Bad Calories on my deck.

Oh and the Weekend Link Love post on MDA had a great one - Why Snacking Makes You Weak, Not Just Fat - GNOLLS.ORG - I had no idea of the insulin/proteolysis connection and will be even more vigilant and mindful of my snacking when I do need to eat between meals.

Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast