Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny girl to fat girl and back to skinny girl - for life page 11

cmlloyd Guest
    Jenn26 - I am waiting for the click to kick in. I have been more tired than not lately and I checked this morning I am starting to utilize my FAT as fuel. I checked the keto sticks (for whatever they are worth) I decided I wouldn't give into to any sugar no matter how bad the blah got until my second wind - so to speak - kicked in

June - you get an A++ for your synopsis and intro to BIO101

cmlloyd Guest
    [QUOTE=June68;872182]yep, that's about how I'd explain it, but I want to know why. I also want to know the leptin/insulin connection and why we're develop resistance to them in the first place. I want to know what the metabolic shift is and what systems are affected in glucose to ketone nutrient uptake. I'm a nerd.

Now you are getting into cellular respiration and the uptake of glucose and you asked for it.....
    ---------->

Metabolism

BTW Adipose is "fat" in biology terms

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Sweet. Am going to read that now.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    This article here discusses sugar and how it's used by the body and the risks associated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/ma...pagewanted=all

It's a long one... enjoy.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    here are the key points I copied and pasted to share with my facebook family:

Key points: The fructose component of sugar and H.F.C.S. is metabolized primarily by the liver, while the glucose from sugar and starches is metabolized by every cell in the body. Consuming sugar (fructose and glucose) means more work for the liver than if you consumed the same number of calories of starch (glucose). And if you take that sugar in liquid form — soda or fruit juices — the fructose and glucose will hit the liver more quickly than if you consume them, say, in an apple (or several apples, to get what researchers would call the equivalent dose of sugar). The speed with which the liver has to do its work will also affect how it metabolizes the fructose and glucose.

In animals, or at least in laboratory rats and mice, it’s clear that if the fructose hits the liver in sufficient quantity and with sufficient speed, the liver will convert much of it to fat. This apparently induces a condition known as insulin resistance, which is now considered the fundamental problem in obesity, and the underlying defect in heart disease and in the type of diabetes, type 2, that is common to obese and overweight individuals. It might also be the underlying defect in many cancers...

...When Tappy fed his human subjects the equivalent of the fructose in 8 to 10 cans of Coke or Pepsi a day — a “pretty high dose,” he says —– their livers would start to become insulin-resistant, and their triglycerides would go up in just a few days. With lower doses, Tappy says, just as in the animal research, the same effects would appear, but it would take longer, a month or more...

This is the most important...
    ...The connection between obesity, diabetes and cancer was first reported in 2004 in large population studies by researchers from the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer. It is not controversial. What it means is that you are more likely to get cancer if you’re obese or diabetic than if you’re not, and you’re more likely to get cancer if you have metabolic syndrome than if you don’t....

...So how does it work? Cancer researchers now consider that the problem with insulin resistance is that it leads us to secrete more insulin, and insulin (as well as a related hormone known as insulin-like growth factor) actually promotes tumor growth...

...Thompson believes that many pre-cancerous cells would never acquire the mutations that turn them into malignant tumors if they weren’t being driven by insulin to take up more and more blood sugar and metabolize it...

... If it’s sugar that causes insulin resistance, they say, then the conclusion is hard to avoid that sugar causes cancer — some cancers, at least — radical as this may seem and despite the fact that this suggestion has rarely if ever been voiced before publicly. For just this reason, neither of these men will eat sugar or high-fructose corn syrup, if they can avoid it.

“I have eliminated refined sugar from my diet and eat as little as I possibly can,” Thompson told me, “because I believe ultimately it’s something I can do to decrease my risk of cancer.” Cantley put it this way: “Sugar scares me.”...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Scary stuff about sugar...I didn't ever eat a lot of it, but probably more than I noticed with so much HFCS being in everything. I couldn't help but wonder if it contributed to my own cancer a couple years ago. Ah well, things have changed and stuff that came out of a factory is pretty limited now.

My husband and I got to talking last night about metabolic processes; I gave him the "new" lowdown on cholesterol and he gave me the drill on how the liver processes protein, carbohydrates and fat. I think I have a much better handle on it now; even a lot of the insulin info. A lot of why I want to know the chemistry and biology is because I'm a nerd and that sloppy, anecdotal answers won't satisfy the questioning skeptic. Mostly I'm thinking about my brother and the host of problems he has that I don't and how maybe cutting the processed crap and grains could help him. He already had to cut legumes because he broke out in eczema so bad his hands bled. He's a logical guy and can extrapolate his hypertension to possibly a similar cause. Anyway, I feel as though providing biology and science based answers are more effective and taken more seriously by questioners. And I'm a nerd. I like the chemistry and the mechanics of why we work the way we do. I like to think that my ship is running better and is somehow happier now that I've changed my eating habits.

So food at the end of the day went like this -
    S/PDD - chardonnay | cheese | pistachios
    D | sauteed spinach | grilled endive | grilled chicken thighs with skin | chardonnay | berries (hardly any, I was full)

Sleep, pretty good - close to 8 hours. No cat biting. NyQuil again since I was coughing more when I laid down. Am still coughing today, but I'm just going to ride it out like I have been. DayQuil makes me feel like I'm trapped in a collapsing tent and can't find the door.

2 weird things I noticed -
    1 - my breath smells funny. I know, it's hard to smell your own breath, but when I was talking last night I wondered what that funny smell was and realized it was me. Hubby confirms his breath smells funny now, too. Not bad, just different. Expelling ketones? Not sure, but there it is.

2 - hair is less oily. Normally on the 3rd day of no shampoo my hair is noticeably oilier. Not gross, but heading that way. Day 4 it starts to look dirty and it's all downhill after that. Right now I've got day 5 hair and it feels like day 3 hair. I've showered, but not shampooed because it didn't need it and I was curious as to how long it would stay that way. Day 5 seems to be it. Not sure what causes this, but using less shampoo is ok with me.

So, let's see...oh I turn 44 today. Yay me. After a couple errands, I'm going to 'celebrate' by spending the afternoon in one of my favorite habitats - an Atlantic white cedar swamp. It's not as dismal as it sounds. It's lovely and green; full of moss and ferns and of course cedars. Here's a couple shots so you can see what I mean -

Last edited by June68; 06-19-2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: clarity

Happy birthday!! Beautiful pictures!

That's so funny, my hair has gotten a lot less oily too since going Primal. I'm only shampooing twice a week now, instead of every other day. Cool side benefit!

Thanks p_y. Isn't that funny about the hair and yeah, I'd say it's a nice bonus.

B | 2 fried hen eggs | 1 bratwurst | 2 bacon slices | 8oz V8

cmlloyd Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks much! Am kicking back from a long day with some petite sirah. Celebrated by going to my favorite cedar swamp only to find the logging trucks in full swing (not in the swamp, but in the surrounding forest, it's part of how it's managed). Didn't stay long and on a break when it was safe to pass the big grappling rig I made a run for it, tripped and fell flat on my face. Well more on my elbow and hip. The logging guy saw me, but I sprang up and collected my stuff and went on my way. Nice birthday gift from me; bruises and contusions. I even bled on my boots and pants. Oy vey. Luckily neither iPod nor camera are injured. I am, but minorly. I swear the worst pain is the pinky fingernail I ripped down to the quick. Ugh. I'm gonna look a sight in a couple days when the bruises come up bloomin'. The phrase 'whupped through hell with a buzzard gut' comes to mind.

Anyway...this was the first 'test' of the new diet and I think it passed with flying colors. With just that breakfast in me and the fall at about 2:30 I still felt well enough an hour later to stop by my favorite river and have a wander in the woods. A month ago I would have been too beat to continue which would have been a bummer since I found some more of my 'project' flower from last year (indian pipe) and a new flower that I haven't even identified. But I didn't feel that mental exhaustion that always accompanied my somewhat physical depletion. I felt good, energized and up for more walking even though I took a tumble. Yay Primal Blueprint!!

Phew. Will post pics as I get them processed.

Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast