Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on caffeine page

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member

Your thoughts on caffeine

Primal Fuel
    I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on coffee. I thought it strange that many Primal people avoid other beans but still have coffee, which is a toxic bean, right? And must undoubtedly produces a stress response in most people. What's your approach?

Have you cut down?

Did you naturally need it less due to eating less junk?

Do you simply make sure to get a quality source, low on toxins?

Have you quit completely? Did you go cold turkey, cut down gradually, or use a more primal-friendly alternative?

My personal story with caffeine is a love-hate relationship. I'm addicted to diet cola, which obviously has to go because of the evil chemicals, and although I like the taste of coffee I find it a bit overstimulating. I can't drink tea either as it has sulphites, which I'm allergic to. I've been trying out some herbal teas, such as gota kola (similar to ginseng), and peppermint tea. I've tried unsuccessfully to quit caffeine before and ended up sleeping a lot and feeling depressed. I don't want to end up depressed but I can't help wondering that beyond the withdrawal stage there might be a different, naturally energetic version me that was there all the time, but was being hidden by the drug effect?

I also eat dark chocolate, which has caffeine, but I'm feeling so crap lately that I could gladly take it or leave it if it meant I would feel better!

This seems to be an emotive issue. I've read some evidence for and against drinking coffee as part of a primal/paleo lifestyle, but it seems that many people find it hard to judge it objectively, since they are hopelessly addicted!
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 06-04-2012 at 04:46 AM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Coffee has basically become only an occasional treat for me. I've discovered that as much as I love how it tastes, it does tend to gave a bit of an effect on me that isn't always pleasant.

On the other hand, I'm still drinking copious amounts of both Yerba Mate (which given your reaction to coffee and your tea allergies you might want to give a try) and tea and have not had the same negative effects from either, so I'll keep drinking up for now. Cheers!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I drink coffee daily or almost, but I stick to high quality beans/coffee. I don't drink any other caffeinated drinks. I generally have a max of 2 cups per day (not every day) and have it with some sort of cream. I don't get the energy jolt others talk about, but I really enjoy the taste. If I start to get a bad reaction, coffee will be eliminated. (I really hope that I don't though, cause it's super yummy!)

Coffee is occasional for me, but mostly because of my Tourette's Syndrome. Less caffeine/insulin spikes keep my motor ticks down.

icz
    icz is offline Member
    Well, i am addicted for sure. I am noticing that i feel the slight negative effects of caffeine a little more acutely since going primal. I look at coffee as a relatively harmless indulgence. . . I'd need to experience more negative from it, or some evidence that it is on balance bad for you, before quitting.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Coffee isn't a bean like a soy bean or a pinto bean. Just because our language uses words like "beans" or "nuts" doesn't mean everything actually is a bean or a nut.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I've never been a routine coffee-drinker - I have cup maybe once a week, sometimes once a month. I never notice any affects from caffeine (but then, I am kind of a weirdo when it comes to drugs, since they seem to not affect me the way they do other people). When I drink coffee, I stick to high quality organic fair trade stuff.

billp is offline Senior Member
    I have not been able to give up caffeine yet, thought i have tried to.

dragonjax is online now Senior Member
    I enjoy my morning cup of coffee. Either black, no sugar, or sweetened with a dollop of coconut milk. Very yummy.

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    Without caffeine, I can't manage to have thoughts.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast