Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on caffeine page 6

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I drink two large mugs (~12oz) of espresso every day. I'm an addict. I don't care that I'm an addict. "Addict" is just a word we attach to the stuff people like that the rest of the culture doesn't. Some people are addicted to status, but I find that ludicrous. Some people are addicted to fitting in; again, not my thing.

Caffeine makes me feel good, and coffee is one of the best tasting (to me) things on the planet. Why would I give that up just because the culture/society has decided that anything that feels good must be avoided?

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    I get addicted to caffeine. I like the buzz from it. I find I no longer need it after cleaning my diet; my mind is just as alert as without (unthinkable prior to a primal diet). I used to drink a lot of milk tea, now switched to black tea when I feel like I need a jolt of something, usually before I have class or something that requires full mental attention which is a challenge for me in the afternoons. A cup of black tea helps me avoid snacking out of habit.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I drink two large mugs (~12oz) of espresso every day. I'm an addict. I don't care that I'm an addict. "Addict" is just a word we attach to the stuff people like that the rest of the culture doesn't. Some people are addicted to status, but I find that ludicrous. Some people are addicted to fitting in; again, not my thing.

Caffeine makes me feel good, and coffee is one of the best tasting (to me) things on the planet. Why would I give that up just because the culture/society has decided that anything that feels good must be avoided?
    x2. Caffeine is awesome. Sometimes I think about cutting back but then I wonder why. Social pressure, voices in my head, nothing more. I do well when drinking normal amounts of coffee (like half-a-pot or a whole pot per day) and if that bugs some people, too bad. I'm currently looking into breaking my "busy" habit. I'll need to go to a different shift and buy a second car, so it's nigh upon impossible. But I can dream! And if you tell people you aren't busy, they either assume you're lying or get mad at you for not killing yourself, right? Nuts to them. I'm going for Zen!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I love my coffee and not going to give it up. I drink 2-3 cups a day with half n half (used to drink it with cream, but switched to half n half, which saved money and helped me lose weight). Call me an addict... much worse things to be addicted to. Being primal is so healthy I'm okay with having a coffee addiction. Is it healthy or not? That's debatable, I guess.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I don't like the taste of coffee for one and I don't like the idea of being addicted to a drug (which is what caffeine is). People like my parents HAVE to have several cups of coffee a day. I don't see the point.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    For me the secret was switching to real coffee. I've cut back a bit, from around 6 cups per day down to 4, as I was noticing some irrational anxiety or jitters.

Just reducing coffee intake didn't help, tried going cold turkey for a couple of weeks, which 'cured' the issue. I love me some coffee so let it creep back in, found the real stuff is no problem but the instant stuff seems to have extra caffeine somehow.

I believe most Americans already have real coffee but growing up in the UK 'coffee' means instant coffee such as Nescafe'. Since moving to Asia I've started experimenting with buying freshly-roasted whole beans and grinding them myself just before brewing - delicious!

This kind of natural coffee is arguably healthy for you (wards off old-age craziness and has antioxidants) but you don't get those benefits with the instant stuff.

Primal? Heck yeah.

AC

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Coffee is one of the super-foods originating in Africa advocated by paleo-hacks. Ginger and garlic also.

Caffeine is only potentially harmful in combination with high blood sugar or high blood pressure, i.e. it is usually not a problem for someone eating primally who is not insulin resistant.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Vic Isadude is offline Junior Member
    Well, I'm addicted to caffeine. Usually drink something like 8 to 10 (or more) mugs of tea (mainly) and coffee and green tea per day during the week, when I'm at work. Come the weekend, I get a splitting headache by early afternoon if I am busy with something and don't get the chance to drink enough tea or coffee. About a month ago I decided to give Paleo a go and two weeks ago I thought I might as well sort out my caffeine addiction as well. Tomorrow will be two weeks without tea or coffee and I shall try for another two weeks of abstinence and then I think I will go back to a more temperate level of use, maybe one cup of coffee per day, or maybe just at weekends. I enjoy tea and coffee, but I don't want to go back to the point at which it's kind of running my life and I'm needing to think about have I drunk enough to keep the withdrawal headaches at bay.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Isadude View Post
    Well, I'm addicted to caffeine. Usually drink something like 8 to 10 (or more) mugs of tea (mainly) and coffee and green tea per day during the week, when I'm at work. Come the weekend, I get a splitting headache by early afternoon if I am busy with something and don't get the chance to drink enough tea or coffee. About a month ago I decided to give Paleo a go and two weeks ago I thought I might as well sort out my caffeine addiction as well. Tomorrow will be two weeks without tea or coffee and I shall try for another two weeks of abstinence and then I think I will go back to a more temperate level of use, maybe one cup of coffee per day, or maybe just at weekends. I enjoy tea and coffee, but I don't want to go back to the point at which it's kind of running my life and I'm needing to think about have I drunk enough to keep the withdrawal headaches at bay.
    Good for you!

Penady is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, kicking the caffeine habit has been one of the most challenging things about PB for me. I have two jobs and sometimes work LONG hours, so sometimes I do need the energy crutch. I don't go too overboard, I drink 1-2 cups in the morning (but it's really strong) and maybe a diet soda in the afternoon (yes, I know it's poison). I also just honestly love the taste of coffee, always have. I'm hoping that my finances start looking better after the holidays so I won't have to work my second job quiet so much. My next goal in transitioning to this lifestyle will be to get off the caffeine. I'm not looking forward to the withdrawal headaches, but I really would prefer for a cup of coffee to be an occasional treat instead of something I reach for automatically in the morning.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast