Thread: the new green page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

the new green

Primal Fuel
    I for one have been chowing down on greens ever since I heard the name Victoria boutenko. I thought greens were the missing ingredient, as a vegetarian and as a vegan I are and juiced the lot. Spinach, kale, broccoli.... all brassicas, that I have, since Paleo discovered may not be all that they are cracked up to be... Maybe not necessary, certainly goitragenic, and more recently farmed.

So what if there's an alternative?

You can still get you green fix, without the goitragens, and packing a whole load more antioxidants and nutrients!

Fresh Herbs.

You can grow them in pots on a window ledge or balcony. The spread like wildfire, as the did in the wild. Our ancestors would have eaten them by the bucket load, and used them medicinally.

Herbs contain unique anti-oxidants, essential oils, vitamins, phyto-sterols and many other plants derived nutrient substances, which help equip our body to fight against germs, toxins and to boost immunity level.

Herbs are, in fact, medicines in smaller dosages. Essential oils in herbs have been found to have anti-inflammatory function by inhibiting the enzyme cycloxygenase (COX), which mediates inflammatory cascade reactions in the body. The enzyme-inhibiting effect of essential oils in herbs makes it an important remedy for symptomatic relief in individuals with inflammatory health problems like rheumatoid arthritis, osteo-arthritis and inflammatory bowel conditions like ulcerative colitis.

Many unique compounds in the herbs have been found to reduce blood sugar levels in diabetics. Controlled epidemiological studies have shown that certain compounds like those that thiosulfinates (allicin) found in garlic can bring significant reduction in total cholesterol and in blood pressure; helps prevent coronary artery disease and stroke risk.

Curcumin, along with other antioxidants in the turmeric, has been found to have anti-amyloid and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus; is effective in preventing or at least delaying the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.

The volatile oils, vitamins, and antioxidants in the herbs have cytotoxicity action against prostate, pancreatic, colon, endometrial...etc cancer cells.

The ingredients in the herbs have been found to be anti-spasmodic, carminative, diaphoretic, analgesic, aphrodisiac, deodorant, digestive, antiseptic, lipolytic (fat and weight loss action), stimulant and stomachic actions when taken in appropriate dosage.

Why not, when you're next having your BAS, make it using fresh herbs for your greens. Basil in all its varities, mint leaves, cat mint, chives, cilantro... Yum. All the flavours work really well, so you hardly need any dressing to make it a really tasty dish. And it pi$$e$ all over boring old lettuce! Lol
    Homegrown, organic, it doenst get more Paleo than this.
    Last edited by thaijinx; 06-04-2012 at 04:19 AM.
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    Agreed on the values of herbs. Dill in particular is a favourite.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    I for one have been chowing down on greens ever since I heard the name Victoria boutenko. I thought greens were the missing ingredient, as a vegetarian and as a vegan I are and juiced the lot. Spinach, kale, broccoli.... all brassicas, that I have, since Paleo discovered may not be all that they are cracked up to be... Maybe not necessary, certainly goitragenic, and more recently farmed.

So what if there's an alternative?

You can still get you green fix, without the goitragens, and packing a whole load more antioxidants and nutrients!

Fresh Herbs.

You can grow them in pots on a window ledge or balcony. The spread like wildfire, as the did in the wild. Our ancestors would have eaten them by the bucket load, and used them medicinally.

Herbs contain unique anti-oxidants, essential oils, vitamins, phyto-sterols and many other plants derived nutrient substances, which help equip our body to fight against germs, toxins and to boost immunity level.

Herbs are, in fact, medicines in smaller dosages. Essential oils in herbs have been found to have anti-inflammatory function by inhibiting the enzyme cycloxygenase (COX), which mediates inflammatory cascade reactions in the body. The enzyme-inhibiting effect of essential oils in herbs makes it an important remedy for symptomatic relief in individuals with inflammatory health problems like rheumatoid arthritis, osteo-arthritis and inflammatory bowel conditions like ulcerative colitis.

Many unique compounds in the herbs have been found to reduce blood sugar levels in diabetics. Controlled epidemiological studies have shown that certain compounds like those that thiosulfinates (allicin) found in garlic can bring significant reduction in total cholesterol and in blood pressure; helps prevent coronary artery disease and stroke risk.

Curcumin, along with other antioxidants in the turmeric, has been found to have anti-amyloid and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus; is effective in preventing or at least delaying the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.

The volatile oils, vitamins, and antioxidants in the herbs have cytotoxicity action against prostate, pancreatic, colon, endometrial...etc cancer cells.

The ingredients in the herbs have been found to be anti-spasmodic, carminative, diaphoretic, analgesic, aphrodisiac, deodorant, digestive, antiseptic, lipolytic (fat and weight loss action), stimulant and stomachic actions when taken in appropriate dosage.

Why not, when you're next having your BAS, make it using fresh herbs for your greens. Basil in all its varities, mint leaves, cat mint, chives, cilantro... Yum. All the flavours work really well, so you hardly need any dressing to make it a really tasty dish. And it pi$$e$ all over boring old lettuce! Lol
    Homegrown, organic, it doenst get more Paleo than this.
    I have been going to a naturopath and she has said that goitrogenic foods are completely safe when cooked. I have thyroid issues so I am under strict instructions to only eat them well cooked but never raw

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I love my fresh herbs - get through loads on everything! And it's amazing what a difference there is in feelings of health when I move to dried or simply don't eat them.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I've started growing herbs in my garden because I like them so much. Sometimes I just buy a huge bunch of parsley from the store and that's the vegetable to saute up for the day.