Thread: Jac's Countdown to 50! page 7

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Three girlie girls? They're adorable!

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Three girlie girls? They're adorable!
    Thank you! One can never get enough compliments about grandchildren . I'm not the doting type, so please excuse my temporary lapse! On the whole, I'm thoroughly enjoying the distance between me and the kids, lol.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Lots happening here - the renovation is about at its halfway mark. The walls are up and almost stopped - another coat to go, some sanding, and then the plumber and electrician can get back in. There's still a couple of doors to frame and hang, too.

Work is pressured, to say the least. I instituted a 'computer free' zone at the weekend, to stop work from leeching into all other areas of my life. It worked . But it also meant I couldn't read or post here! However, stress management is high on my list of priorities right now.

Food - not so good. I have been getting more belly aches, lots of bloating, and back ache. I'm wondering whether I have a gall bladder problem, and am considering whether I need to go to the doctor. In the meantime, while I consider it (their first line of treatment is still to take it out and see if that resolved the problem. I'm not thrilled with that approach at all! It often doesn't work, for a start) I'm back to elimination and challenge to see if there's a problem with my food. I'm hoping it'll resolve with the basic diet of meat and selected veges and herbal teas. I've had a bit more fruit than I'm used to, although it's tended towards the low fructose end. Also increased tomato products - stewed, paste etc, and more onions - those are natural changes with the winter season and more stews, casseroles etc. So, another tweak is in order. I decided to avoid the small changes, since I had trouble evaluating those. Wish me luck
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    beautiful pictures and awesome successes so far. You look fabulous in the pictures BTW.

i was wondering if you'd gone to see the new baby! so glad you've updated us. you look so much younger and healthier than in your avatar picture!

Jac
    Cripes, it's been weeks since I was here! The renovation is almost complete , and I can't wait til it's all over. The carpet goes down on the 13th August, so we still have a couple of weeks of living in chaos - all the non-essential furniture is out in the sun porch. There is still some touching up to do, hanging one set of curtains and making another set (what a mission! Our bedroom curtains involved 2 drapes, each 7.5 metres wide and almost 3 metres high, with lining. Making them took a 15 hour marathon, with Tony helping to measure and pin). I also desperately need to get into the garden and get the roses pruned/moved and generally taken care of. There's just been no time!! I've fitted in a few visits to the babies, too.

The plan for this weekend is to hang some pictures and the spare room curtains, and get into the garden. There's also a greyhound gathering on Sunday, on a fully fenced farm. That'll be fun - I love seeing them run just for the sheer joy of it .

Food has been better than OK, not up to perfect. Trips away have been the main trouble points, mostly when we have visited older relatives. That's fine, though - life is settling down again. I seem to be very prone to FODMAP symptoms - more than I was before, I think.

In these last very physically and emotionally demanding weeks I have been 100% grateful for my new healthy state. A year ago I couldn't have climbed ladders (3.5 meter stud = bloody high!), concentrated, and stayed cheerful day-in, day-out. It's still new enough to be amazing. I do want to get to the next stage of weight loss and strength - in fact I'm looking forward to it. I'm thinking that everything will be stable by September, to maybe increase my focus and make more demands on myself. First, though, I need a calm home space.

Yeehaa - it's Friday!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Damn, this journal is looking like someone ripped pages out of it . I'm having a life though, so that's good.

Renovation is still going on, but the lists are down to 2 now .

I've been pretty terrible at planning my food for the last few weeks (or months) with the result that I've had some less-than-ideal meals. IBS isn't as well controlled as it was, and the sugar craving is back, too. Dammit. I'm back to logging my food, but am doing it in a journal rather than on the computer. I'm just not spending as much time procrastinating as I used to - and that was my journalling time, lol. Anyway, it's not a big deal; it just means I need to adapt what I'm doing to fit with my current life. The meal planning will fall into line with the journalling - it always has in the past, anyway. Once I'm thinking again, I get to planning. It's a whole positive reinforcement cycle . We've had some gorgeous steak lately - I think our supermarket might have changed suppliers. Just melt in your mouth deliciousness. My lack of planning has reinforced that potatoes make my feet hurt, so I'm back on the kumara. And rice, while it does make my belly bloat up, doesn't do any systemic damage or last more than a day. Also, no matter how much coconut milk/cream I add, a breakfast of banana and blueberries will not last more than about 2 hours before I start thinking of food again!!

I need to find a breakfast that is mainly protein, includes some carbs, can be pre-cooked, and doesn't have any dairy. I don't like eating within the first couple of hours of getting up - my digestion just hasn't woken up, and I feel out-of-sorts digestively for the rest of the day. If I do it for several days in a row, my digestion just shuts up shop and refuses to co-operate for the rest of the week. So, a breakfast that can be eaten at my desk or in the car if I'm driving is what's needed. Weekends I've been having bacon, eggs and banana - totally delish, and keeps me going til dinner time with no effort whatsoever. I want to replicate that in a fast-food kind of way!

I'm heading up to Darwin for a conference in 2 weeks - can't wait! I'm really hoping it'll be sunny, because this end-of-winter season is just crap. Better write my presentation this week, though
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    OK, the food journal has 'exposed' my way of thinking as pretty much a diet mentality. Shit, when did that happen . Not that it's showing up in low calories or anything, but it's more about what I can't eat than what I can eat. That could be why I'm struggling a bit - too many 'can't haves' holding my attention. Knowing that is fuel for a lovely big refocusing experiment!

I'm having the next 3 days as 'meat and veges' days. Well, high quality protein (including eggs and fish) and non-starchy vegetables - but it doesn't roll off the tongue quite the same . I say 3 days because that's tolerable in terms of low carb-induced sleeplessness and mood drops, while also being long enough to see a difference in bloating. After the three days, I will probably reintroduce kumara, bananas and blueberries.

I've had 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast, in coconut oil. I have a tomato based beef stew with lots of broth and some winter veges for lunch, and a whole box of peppermint tea-bags. Hospital water tastes truly terrible, but keeping hydrated will be the key to staying focused today.

Last night I experimented with just having a very light blanket all night. I've been having night sweats for the last couple of months, with just the occasional restful night. I woke up cold sometime in the early hours, so pulled the duvet over me, but apart from that I felt great. It's still quite winter-ish, and the duvet isn't a heavy one by any means, but I seem to heat up when I sleep. I'm feeling very relaxed this morning . Nice!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    I rounded off the day with chicken drumsticks and some greens. Felt good, energetic and cheerful. Not very focused, though - I seemed to race from one thing to the next, with nothing being finished or resolved.

Today I'm working from home, and just as scattered. I have a vague headache, and a fairly unfocused desire for something to eat alongside a faint feeling of nausea. I had more beef stew for breakfast - am totally over meat already. I couldn't finish the bowl, so the hounds will have a nice addition to their dinner tonight! Sleep was OK. Bloating and tummy ache are reduced already - I'm so focused, usually, on being comfortable that deliberately feeling uncomfortable is quite difficult to get my head around.

Later edit: it's 5pm, and I don't think I'm doing very well. I've had about 6 marinated mussels and a couple of glasses of water. I'm hungry, but can't face the thought of meat or eggs. Dammit. I'm very tempted to have a banana or some kumara with dinner, but then I won't have had the stones to even low carb for 2 days!! God, that's pathetic. I've emailed Julianne Taylor (paleo nutritionist) for a consultation to help me work through this and decide what is worth suffering for, and what's just stupid.
    Last edited by Jac; 08-09-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Today is the end of day 4 of low carb. My bloating, spasms and back pain have almost completely gone . I weighed this morning for the first time in ages - 89.5kg. Pretty good. I'm also quite relaxed about what to do when the low carb part of my 'diet' is done - I haven't regained at all on the usual primal/PHD fare, so that's brilliant.

My metabolic flexibility is way better than I expected - I thought all the kumara, bananas and slow gluten/sugar creep would have wrecked me again, but the damage isn't too bad. I was getting to the point of not skipping meals without irritability and shakes, and getting hungrier more often - now I'm able to wait to eat, and to keep doing things like painting etc with no more than an awareness of being hungry. Excellent.

I'm ordering some ketostix, and will try different foods and timing etc to get into and stay in ketosis. In the meantime, I'm also monitoring my mood - if I end up with several days of no laughing and a bit of shittiness I'll eat some kumara at dinner.

I have a few other things racing around in my mind - but I want to have a long bath and relax before I go to work tomorrow - I'm teaching the next 2 days, so they're always a bit challenging to my stress levels .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Beginning of day 6 of low carb - actually, probably very low carb. Yesterday I had very little breakfast (I fried some leftover chicken in coconut oil, but it turned out to be still dry and yucky, so I didn't eat much), then didn't get lunch simply because I forgot to take it. I think it beggars belief that in a hospital cafe you can't get any kind of high quality protein at all, and no veges that haven't been drenched in commercial dressings. Blech. So when I got home around 4 I had some mussels and a coconut milk custard. Then about 7.30 I had steak and veges. All in all, the food yesterday was badly timed, and didn't taste wonderful at all. I've been multitasking too much and letting things cook for too long. Better luck today!

Another teaching day, and I'm sitting in the dark sipping on cocoa with coconut milk. I have another custard for lunch. Wish me luck!!

Edited to add that I feel very odd. I don't know whether it's to do with stress, just plain tiredness, or what I've been eating. Or a combination of them all. I'm a bit light headed, my tummy can't decide whether it's nauseated or hungry, and my mood is, to put it bluntly, grumpy . I've had a couple of nights of poor sleep, partly because of the renovations coming to an end, and partly because I've been wakeful and hot. The carpet went down yesterday, and although we're pacing ourselves with putting furniture back in now, until last night everything has been rush-rush-rush. The upside of this is that I don't feel adrenaline fuelled today. Maybe a focused work day and a night of pottering about making the house pretty will help.

I find it very strange that carbs and sugars aren't calling to me.
    Last edited by Jac; 08-13-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast