Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's Countdown to 50! page 6

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Read. The. Damned. Ingredients.
    [*]fructose[*]L-Glutamine[*]citric acid[*]papain[*]bromelian[*]flavour[/LIST]

Hmmm, I just wonder if that's contributed to the horrible pain I've been in all week??
    Gee, d'ya think? I have just made it a policy to always have my reading glassed with me at the store. Yes, I am *that* person standing there in the aisle way reading the ingredients on a bottle of salad dressing and grumbling to myself.

I'm so glad you caught those nasty ingredients in your tea before you suffered any more. I think things will get better now.

Zoe, your chai sounds delightful. I love the taste of rooibos with chai spices.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Uh-huh, I'm that person too - at the supermarket! That lovely organics shop completely blindsided me.

No pain at all today. Very thirsty, and have had a few liters of water. Final flush out maybe? I had sparkling water and a couple of squares of 85% chocolate at the movies - loved the movie! Technically it was probably crap, but he music was lots of fun and Tom Cruise wasn't his usual annoying self .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Oh, wow - I haven't quite been missing in action, I've been in Napier meeting my new granddaughter

AJ June 2012.jpg

I'm exhausted - just popped in to share, and to say that my eating and drinking are still on track. I also restarted my workouts. Will do a proper post in a couple of days, I hope!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Oh, wow - I haven't quite been missing in action, I've been in Napier meeting my new granddaughter

AJ June 2012.jpg

I'm exhausted - just popped in to share, and to say that my eating and drinking are still on track. I also restarted my workouts. Will do a proper post in a couple of days, I hope!!
    Congrats What a great photo - you have gorgeous skin!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. How cute. Welcome to the new Grokling.

Jac
    Sunday evening - what a week! I've been to Napier twice, had a lovely time with the grandkids and my daughters. Also had an interview in Auckland for a sabbatical I've applied for. And today was the monthly greyhound meeting, which I really wanted to go to. All in all, I've eaten away from home more than I've been here for the last week. I had a couple of slips from my planned eating . . . I didn't want to have gluten or dairy, so the first trip actually involved quite a bit of involuntary fasting. I had fruit, and on the drive home I had a coke and crisps. I managed the trip to Auckland with no hassles, but on the last trip to Napier I found myself at KFC at the urging of my husband. We went in there knowing it was a mistake - by that stage I was almost too tired to speak. I had a little bit of it, but didn't like it at all (that used to be our routine 'treat'!). I also looked at the clientèle and realised that I truly don't want to be one of the fat, or sick, or rushed and irritable people - and I can't use the excuse of being too young to know better . I told Tony I wasn't enjoying it, and didn't want to even be in the room. He agreed!! That will be our last experiment. The kids had fish and chips for dinner - I had sushi.
    On balance, it was OK. Not that I'm satisfied with the slips, but there was no landslide and I processed what I was doing and re-evaluated.
    In terms of the paleo food I ate, it was too light on the protein and too heavy on the carbs. I realise that I feel much lighter and more energetic with a bit more protein than can be found in sushi. Also, rice bloats me and so does coconut flour.
    I've been drinking kombucha, with no ill effects. Yay!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Nice going in a tough situation, Jac. Here's my KFC horror story: I work in long term care (nursing homes) as the Registered Dietitian. Once a year, this little home had a KFC lunch. They buy an actual snack pack for each resident and serve it in the box. The residents absolutely love it and eat it with their fingers, even the poor eaters do well with this "treat". Any staff members who wish to can order a box as well for their lunch. I only visit the home about 3 days a month, so I was not aware of the plans that day. I was offered a piece, so I took one little drumstick, in addition to my own lunch. With the very first bite, all I could taste was chemicals. I had been eating pretty clean for a while by then (not primal or lower carb, but not much processed crap), so it was a big shock. But I looked around and thought "Well, the rest of these guys are loving this, what's wrong with me?" So I ate most of the little drumstick. Within an hour after lunch, my throat started to swell, my vocal cords in particular, and I completely lost my voice. It didn't get better for about 3 days!! Now I consider the stuff poison and I won't touch it.

Paleobird Guest
    I used to adore KFC extra crispy. Oh well. fond farewell to some old friends and welcome to some new dietary staple friends like kombucha. I'm glad it's agreeing with you. It's a much better option to have around in place of soda.

Jac
    I visited the US in 2007, and went searching for twinkies. (This is in relation to your story about the chemicals, Marthat). I'd heard so much about them on TV, and wanted to see what was so addictive about them. I think I assumed they'd be some kind of chocolate, but eventually found some . . . they had such a nasty chemical taste, and left such a strong aftertaste, that I couldn't finish the one I'd tried. I brought the rest of the packet home for my kids to try, but they hated them too. It's that strong notion of "that's not food" that's coming up more and more lately. I had the same reaction to 'cookie dough' icecream - man, that crap isn't even cooked . I don't know what I expected, but raw, soggy dough wasn't it.

I now have that reaction to soy milk, and in addition to the aversion I had a massive IBS flare a few months ago in the hot summer sun when I tried soy ice-cream. I also have it to a whole range of other 'foods' I used to routinely consume. I have it to diet lemonade and any other soft drink than coke. However, having that coke last Tuesday had the benefit of proving to me that I'm not addicted to it. I drank it, and didn't get a hit off it - and didn't want more. It's just a preference, and I'm perfectly able to manage a simple preference until it vanishes like the others have.

Now that the baby is born, detox is well and truly over, the renovations are underway, and life has settled down a bit, I'm going to be refocusing on some general macros. I can't bring myself to track and count at the moment (it has a tendency to encourage my more self-flagellating traits ). However, as a guideline I'll start increasing my protein and limit the non-vegetable carbs like rice and flour. I have almost no flour anyway - mostly coconut, but a little tapioca at times - so that won't be a struggle. I'll substitute kumara when we have curries!

Progress so far has included hugely improved sleep patterns, easy bowel movements, reduced bloating, and not so much abdo pain. Also no cravings and hardly any issues with hunger. Let's see what the next week brings!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    PrimalCon New York
    I'm still tackling the backlog of work from last week, but wanted to add a couple of triumphs . . .

• when I was staying at a hotel, those tiny towels they provide actually wrapped around me! Not quite enough that I'd wander about in one, but it wrapped from boobs to knees
    • my wedding and engagement rings are both on my hand for the first time in years - that's partly fat loss, and partly loss of the puffiness that's plagued me. I shone them up last night, and have worn them all evening, night, and today. That's kept a smile on my face
    • I'm getting through work in a way that I haven't done for ages - maybe even for ever. I'm clear, focused, and effective

I had sausages (primal) and a banana for lunch yesterday, stew and a potato for dinner followed by blueberries, cacao nibs and coconut milk. Nothing so far today, but I'm about to heat up leftover beef stew. Rocking it so far!

Granddaughters.jpg

My grandbabies
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast