Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's Countdown to 50! page 3

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    End of day one. Thanks for the lovely messages.

I had blueberries and coconut milk for breakfast, which I won't do again as I was quite hungry an hour
    later. Bacon, eggs and a banana for lunch, with a glass of kombucha (which I'm very proud of! - its delicious, but it's taking ages to brew in this weather). Dinner was a steak braised in some of my homemade tomato preserve, kumara and greens.

Headache, slight irritability, but this is the first time in ages I've made it through the evening without any abdo pain. Cocoa with spices for supper. I've also been quite thirsty, so herbal tea and water through the day, too.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Great Day 1!! You can do it, Jac! Good luck on Day 2!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    sounds good indeed.

Jac
    11am, day 2. I've done some work, cleaned the kitchen (including stove top and floor), fed the dogs, and had bacon and eggs for breakfast. I slept better, and woke up feeling starving

I want sugar - can taste it, even! And I have to go grocery shopping soon. These 2 things together could have been a problem, which is why I wanted to post them. I simply can't buy any non-food, and I won't.

Daughter #1's last day at work today, then she's on maternity leave. I wish I could go see her - the next time I see her she'll be a mother!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    11am, day 2. I've done some work, cleaned the kitchen (including stove top and floor), fed the dogs, and had bacon and eggs for breakfast. I slept better, and woke up feeling starving

I want sugar - can taste it, even! And I have to go grocery shopping soon. These 2 things together could have been a problem, which is why I wanted to post them. I simply can't buy any non-food, and I won't.

Daughter #1's last day at work today, then she's on maternity leave. I wish I could go see her - the next time I see her she'll be a mother!
    Yes, it is much easier to have willpower in the middle of the day at the store than in the evening at the fridge door.

Stay strong. The fact that you have a headache is evidence of caffeine addiction. Kick it out of your life. Once and for all.

Jac
    Evening isn't a problem for me, the afternoon is. I have clear and pretty immediate consequences for eating and drinking the wrong stuff after about 6pm - trouble sleeping, IBS flares, horrible taste in my mouth in the morning, constipation -all associated with overeating, snacking, caffeine and sugar at night. In the afternoon I have hours to recover, so the consequences are lighter and less immediate. That's the problem with coke - I get the benefit of a taste and texture I enjoy, with little downside - other than the intellectual and/or longer term.

Shopping went smoothly. There are some new coconut products out - coconut water and juice, and all but one brand have added sugar! Anyway, food has been good - mussels for a snack, chicken and spuds for dinner, with a few mandarins to follow. No headache today.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Good grief - the headache, the pain ooohhhhh . This is day 3 without sugar, caffeine, and all the other chemicals in the crap I've been eating and drinking. OUCH!

I slept very well, but had trouble waking up this morning. I think I slept about 11 hours in all. Today we've been demolishing the old bathroom, so there's been lots of noise, dust, and interesting things like biiig sledgehammers and crowbars. I enjoyed it, although my muscles felt and still feel like lead. I think today has been just about pushing through, and now I get to kick back and watch TV until I fall into bed again.

I still have the puffiness, a sore back (referred gut pain), and bit of anxiety too. I weighed myself this morning - I'm 90.4, which is a kilo over my lightest weight so far. I'm pleased about that, because I expected to see more of the water weight - it's still obvious in the way I look. Tomorrow will be a full week since I ate the bread, so I'm hoping to come back to normal very soon.

Through the day I've been musing again about why I fell off the wagon. The stuff yesterday about not getting immediate feedback from my body that it's a bad idea to drink sodas and eat lollies - well, that helped a bit. Most of the crap that kind of calls to me also punishes me. I've now had proof positive that bread does it too. Even Tony, who seems to have very few gut issues, talked about how he gets brain fog the day after we've eaten bread. For the sugar, I need to find a way of thinking about it in a longer term way. I want to be off this mini yo-yo! It's the drinks that start it off, every time. Finding coconut water yesterday was a very good thing, and brewing kombucha is working well, too. Slips tend to start with being out and not having anything 'rewarding' to order or buy at the supermarket. It sucks not liking tea or coffee, since those are the most innocuous things I could drink, and FODMAP/fruitjuice is just a bad idea all round. Herbal teas at most of the cafes around here are just horrible. Maybe I need to turn into that weird person who carries her own teabags everywhere and just orders hot water

Anyway, I'll keep mulling. There isn't much risk of slippage in the next week, or even 2 weeks, since I'm nicely focused. The danger time is after that, so I need to have my decision firmly entrenched with backup strategies in place by then.

Bacon and eggs with banana again this morning, about 10am. An apple around midday, and a couple of drumsticks with a glass of kombucha just now (4pm). Dinner in a couple of hours will be steak, kumara and veges. If I'm hungry later, I'll have blueberries with coconut cream and some 100% cacao nibs. Hard work, and a headache apparently = starvation

Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Paleobird Guest
    I've been keeping track of what i eat on SparkPeople for quite a while now and looking back through my "favorites" list is like opening a time capsule. Under chocolate, I have the 70% stuff that I used to think was horribly bitter, then there was the 80% and the 88% panther bars, then the 90% Lindt, and now the 100% bakers chocolate.

The thought of eating the 70% stuff now is gaggingly sweet. Blech. Your taste buds really do adapt over time and change their perceptions. So does your brain. I can walk by what used to be my favorite pizza place and the smell is obnoxious. Not appealing at all. Your body craves what it is used to.

I am so glad you are getting the chemical nastiness out of your system. That has to go before anything else will work right.

You might try some rooibos tea. It has been used in traditional African medicine since before recorded history particularly for digestive upsets. Zero caffeine and a rich sort of nutty flavor. If you don't have it in stores try The Tea Spot.com online. That's where I get mine.

Hang in there.

Jac
    Ooh, I'd forgotten about rooibos tea - I use to make my kombucha. For the next batch I'm using a mix of black and green teas, but the last batches have been black and rooibos. Interesting that you taste nuttiness, paleobird - I taste honey! I love it.

I slept really well again last night. I've been taking natural calm at night, but didn't last night as it has a cumulative effect and makes me groggy so I tend to take it for about 3 nights, then stop for 2 or 3 nights. Today I'm just pottering around the house - nothing too strenuous. I'm teaching the next couple of days, so I'm 'on' all the time. Tiring, but fun. Then I've got marking to do - not so much fun, lol.

I popped over to the sugar junkies thread, but backed out pretty fast. I have a stupid and annoying thing going on, but it's nowhere near as life defining as those women. Makes me feel very lucky, and also realise that I can indeed do this .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you can do it for sure.

i started so many lists today. I have lists of what I want to do in the house, and then also what I need to do for the office. So many lists. LOL I think I have 17 different lists. I stuck them on the wall in the kitchen.

your reno reminded me of that.

I also spent all day yesterday teaching, and my business is going so well. It's insane. But I'm working about 60 hours a week right now. whew! but, I think by September, my teaching on a day to day basis will go down, while my one-on-one and other sorts of "events" (or monthly what-nots) will go up a bit.

I'm currently looking up my electronic visa application what-not for the australian work. so confusing. which i could just talk to someone.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast