Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Jac's Countdown to 50! page 22

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Merry Christmas, Jac.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Merry Christmas Jac.
    Love and hugs from the south island....and I am not shouting this time !!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

siouxelephant is offline Junior Member
    Merry Christmas Jac. Which brand are the sausages you eat please? thanks

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!

I'm breaking my self-imposed technology embargo, just because I feel sorry for myself today . The holiday has been going really well, with lots of rest, relaxation, gardening and family. The girls and grandbabies are coming to stay for a week on Friday, and my 21 year old is heading off with her boyfriend and another friend to Thailand for her first grown-up holiday on Thursday. It's all great. My IBS has been behaving itself, too . I'm still completely aspartame and Ace K free, and have had no cardiac arrhythmia at all since the detox. Not a single ectopic beat at all.

Then yesterday, following a late night Lord of the Rings marathon, I had a nap. I woke up to a really loud crash, and found that Tony had decided to have a bath - and had passed out when he stood up and got out. He was standing in front of the toilet, and on the way down he'd bashed his head on the skirting board, scraped his back on the side of the bath, and worst of all had somehow landed on his inner thigh. The bruising on his head was bad enough, but his thigh looked like it had a huge black grapefruit under the skin. He was shaking and nauseated, and in pain. I got him to the bed, and got ice for his head - then saw the leg. I went back to the kitchen for more ice, and walked back into the bedroom talking with him about whether we needed to go and get medical advice (decided to wait and see if the leg got worse, and if he stayed woozy). I stepped over the dog - the same animal I'd stepped over on the way out of the room - only this time she decided to panic and jump up. So she knocked me off balance, but I made it worse by trying not to fall on her - and she made it worse by dodging. I partly fell on her, making her cry - and came down on my ankle. First it went outwards in a way that joint isn't designed for, then I overcorrected and it bent almost as far in the inward direction. I landed on the ground, with an ankle that kept getting more and more painful - while still trying to give Tony the ice pack for his leg. In the meantime he was trying to get to the end of the bed to see what damage I'd done. What a mess!! It was also, in a horrible way, really funny.

So instead of tying up the tomatoes yesterday and being outside in the sun today, I am in a chair with my bandaged ankle elevated. I have either badly strained or torn the small ligament that runs between the outside lower aspect of the ankle and the outer 2 toes (that means I can't put any weight on my heel or outer foot). Tony is stretched out on the window seat with a very painful leg and an aching head. We're both still moderately sore in other places, and tired from a crappy night. The dog is still creeping around me as though I'd beaten her. And I have definitely demonstrated that some of my abdo pain comes from stress.

We are both incredibly lucky that it's not worse - we should be back to normal by the time we're invaded by the kids!

Sioux, I get the Hellers sausages - there are a few different flavours, and they all list allergens. I just avoid the ones with gluten, dairy and soy.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Holy Crap, Jac, that is quite horrible!! Sounds like something that would happen to me! Yes, almost sort of comical, but not so about the pain and injury part. Wow.

Otherwise, it sounds like your holiday has been stellar.

Wishing you speedy healing and a healthy New Year.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    crikey jac, not a good start to the new year. It's almost keystone coppish! Hope you both feel better.

I've had some really nice fennel and pork sausages but for the life of me I cant recall what brand. Gluten free.

siouxelephant is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the reply about the sausages Jac. Sorry to hear you have been in the wars.

Jac
    Back at work today, and in full technology mode. My ankle is still bruised and weak - it has no 'give' in it at all, and when I stand on uneven ground it can't hold me steady. I'm trying to find a balance between not stressing it further and not letting it weaken further either. So lots of walking on solid ground with occasional forays into grass, very carefully.

Foodwise I was pretty shocking over the Xmas/NY period . However, the clean eating started again a week ago, when the last of the visitors left and took the non-Primal food with them. Detox only took about a day, and sugar cravings pretty much vanished a couple of days later.

I weighed yesterday - 89.8kg. I've maintained this weight, within a couple of kilos, for a year now. At times I get a bit down about that, but actually I'm over 26kg lighter than my heaviest weight and 11kg lighter than when I started Primal. I'll take that .

I've done some of the standard evaluation of the past year and future planning that goes with having a holiday. Here's some of it!

Things I've learned
    • diet sodas are evil. It took me weeks and weeks to detox, and I'm not going back again
    • diet soda and cardiac arrhythmias are linked for me
    • I love feeling naturally rested after an early night
    • computers interfere with my ability to recover from stress
    • multitasking is a recipe for disaster, apart from simple things like listening to music while I clean etc
    • I really do have a problem with FODMAPs, and no amount of rationalising will make it go away
    • I need to stretch and use my muscles in order to feel flexible and strong
    • I won't die if I don't eat lunch
    • ketosis wasn't sustainable at this point in my life
    • counting of any description really does raise my stress levels and make me more than a little bit crazy

That's not a bad tally from my n=1 experiments!

I have some simple things to try for the next little while, with the goal of losing the next 5kgs and staying out of IBS-land.

1. Increase my coconut oil intake (helps with energy, satiation, and bowel function)
    2. try to push breakfast out as far as I can without undue stress. Currently I can easily manage 12noon, sometimes I can get it as far as 2.30pm
    3. don't snack
    4. finish eating for the day at tea-time (usually by 7.30pm)
    5. use PB strength exercises and yoga stretches whenever I'm watching TV

The experiment continues! 64 days til my 50th
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jac! pleased you are feeling better and way to go on maintaining the weight loss. that in itself is huge despite all the challenges you've faced like the evil diet soda and the FODMAPS.

•I need to stretch and use my muscles in order to feel flexible and strong
    ITA. even if i am tired i will always find a long slow walk will make me feel better and sleep better. i look on it as active stretching. i just go slowly so i dont raise my heart rate too much anywhere other than the hills.

•counting of any description really does raise my stress levels and make me more than a little bit crazy
    i have always thought this but i am making headway with it right now. i am also stuck home with the kids and the food cupboard so it is very easy to overeat thru boredom and stress. self medicate with snacks. so at least if i count, i can go crazy that way instead and make a diff overall. instead of still being crazy and eating too much lol

Jac
    I'm averaging a post about every three weeks this year, lol. Oh well . . .

I'm back on the ketosis plan. It seems that no matter what else I try, this is the only consistent way to deal with the bloating and also lose weight. Last time I worked it, I lost about 4kg but then got quite miserable. This time I'm being a bit more careful with my food diary so if I've let some additional carbs sneak in I'll look for them.

This state of affairs can't last, though!! I need to take the next steps to figure out just what's behind the bloating, the fuzzy headedness, and the persistent weight. I have an appointment with a local integrated medicine practitioner - IN JUNE!!!!! He's a popular man. In the meantime, I have an appointment tomorrow with a herbalist who had made a big difference to me in the past. She does the 'weed, seed and refeed' thing to focus on the gut bacteria/candida/parasites (eeeww ). I'll let you know what happens!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast