Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's Countdown to 50! page 18

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Go Jac, your whole 30 off to a good start. Having endured the miserable start, here's hoping things start to go more smoothly from now on and you get enough benefits to make the sacrifices worth your while.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Jac if you can find the Perrier sparkling mineral water with lemon, that is really nice. Having said that, any plain sparkling mineral with just the tiniest dash of Roses lime juice is nice as well.

Good luck on your whole 30. I need to get a plan and sort myself out again. Totally noticing digestive issues coming back with increased intake of everything bad.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Saturday morning - and still no sodas. The coke isn't such an issue now that the detox part is over. However, I have to stay mindful because getting tired and busy can lead to the 'I deserve it' button getting punched. Yesterday was completely paleo, which is a miracle since I have daughter and 2 granddaughters to stay - and they eat peanut butter sandwiches, chicken nuggets, and lemonade. Yay for me! About 30 more hours til the house is clean again (I give them all the groceries to take away with them), and I have dinner tonight all sorted.

The sparkling water is really hitting the spot as being something special, to be savoured. So far I'm having it straight, but the lemon tree is loaded so I'll raid it later. I just wish that dairies stocked the stuff! I'm wondering about getting a soda stream machine, so I can fizz some iced tea . . .

I've regained the ketosis weight - oh well. Will see where I am when this whole 30 is over, then re-evaluate . . . again . . .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Turkish delight after dinner last night . . . . I'm going to have to tackle the sugar demon head on. Just staying off the sweeteners hasn't done the trick yet.

Still totally soda free. Day 5!

I just had a big fry up of leftover steak, kumara, some onion and banana in coconut oil. Looked messy but tasted wonderful. I loved the sweetness added by the banana - in the past I haven't been able to taste the sweetness in fruit, so that's a win. Only a couple more hours til everyone leaves - I'll be sad, but relieved as well. I love the kids to bits, and also love the quiet life we've crafted for ourselves
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    I want coke so badly I feel like I could claw my skin off. Since I stopped I have been almost insatiable in appetite, even knowing that overeating will cause an IBS flare. I eat great meals, really enjoy them, and then go looking for 'something else' within the hour. I also have another headache.

Actually, it's not just coke - every single other time I've tried to come off it I've immediately substituted another diet drink - lemonade or ginger ale usually. Today at the supermarket I was eyeing up everything from horrible tasting energy drinks to bread rolls - I just want this feeling to go away!!!!! I'm eating fruit, coconut oil, dark chocolate, drinking lots of water and peppermint tea. Nothing is giving me the sensation that I've eaten what I need. I've been for a walk, watched movies, read some great books, which is all good. I'm sleeping fine. But none of it can distract me from this internal aggravating itch!!

My daughter, who has just visited, has a history of what we all thought was dairy intolerance. For some weird reason she didn't have any problems with dairy while she was pregnant, though, so she enjoyed cheese and milk the whole time. That carried on while she was breast feeding, but came back when she weaned. This time I was really surprised that she had milk in her tea . . . turns out it was diet coke that was upsetting her GI tract! When she doesn't have it, like when it would have affected the baby, she doesn't have any problems digesting milk. What's even stranger, though, is that she was drinking diet lemonade when we went out and that didn't do the same thing to her.

Edited to add that I looked up how long it takes to detox from the artificial sweeteners, and some sites are reporting 6 weeks or longer! This is day 6 . . .
    Last edited by Jac; 10-21-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I want coke so badly I feel like I could claw my skin off. Since I stopped I have been almost insatiable in appetite, even knowing that overeating will cause an IBS flare. I eat great meals, really enjoy them, and then go looking for 'something else' within the hour.
    food addictions are like this. my relationship with coffee is like this. i stop drinking coffee, white knuckle it out and end up on hell binges of everything else. i can at least get disciplined and get some good decaf as it is the flavour i need. and it is not even the caffeine addiction as i would be willing to bet i couldnt stop drinking coffee and just take caffeine pills and be sweet. there is prob more to it for you than just what is in the coke. does natural cola do it for you? maybe wean yourself off onto a small amount of that if it prevents all the other problems and do it bit by bit.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Yikes! That sounds like hell! The first thing that came to mind was to try a regular coke and see if it helps. Could it be the caffeine you're withdrawing from? Do you take caffeine from any other source? I know if I suddenly stopped my caffeine intake (from coffee) I would be in a bad way indeed.

Jac
    I think it must be the sweeteners, since I've never had this before - every other time I've detoxed I've had a bit of a headache but sorted it by drinking other diet drinks. I don't have any other caffeine, not even tea. Even the almost straight sugar from turkish delight didn't give any relief.

Oh, and my body is aching like crazy. I've come this far - can't turn back now! I guess this proves that I've had a bit of an 'issue' with diet drinks, huh?
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I guess so. Ah well, just keep on keeping on then I guess. I hope it passes soon.

Jac
    I. Am. Alive. This will pass.

A rough night's sleep, with vivid dreams and some temperature control issues. I'm off on another of my driving/meeting days today. I have some hardboiled eggs with mayo, a big bottle of water, some panadol, and a Sookie Stackhouse book on my phone. I'll be sweet.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast