Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's Countdown to 50! page 17

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for the tip - I'll try boiling it! I love the smell.

I got Robb Wolf's latest infographic thing in the mail, and took it to heart a bit. Then I discarded it. Then I spent a few whiney days feeling sorry for myself (see above posts ) and not taking good care of myself - that sugar demon is really pushy, man. Then I decided that I'd consult with this guy in Auckland to get some assistance with my recurring IBS, my apparently new intolerances, and my lack of weight loss. Then, when I was brushing my teeth this morning, I put all those things together a bit more.

Picture this . . .

1. Jac spends lots of $$ going to see this guy to get help
    2. "So, are you completely grain free?"
    3. Erm, no. Not recently.
    4. "Are you completely sugar free?"
    5. Erm, not at the moment.
    6. "Are you completely, totally off the diet soft drinks?"
    7. Erm, not right this moment.
    8. "What happened last time you were completely grain, sugar, and artificial sweetener free?"
    9. Erm, I didn't have IBS and I lost weight.
    10. "Anything else you need to say?"
    11. Yes, I didn't feel emotionally on top of things; I got pretty miserable actually
    12. "Did you eat carbs during that time?"
    13. Erm, no.
    14. Suck it up, Buttercup. Starting now - 30 days of no grains, no sugar, no soda, and sensible intake of safe carbs. For you, that's sweet potato, some white potato, some rice, bananas and berries.

So there ya go . . . I saved heaps of $$, some extra travel, and lots of embarrassment
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Yay! Way to save money and find the right pattern.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    way to go! #11 is the killer for me with anything. we will cheer you on for the 30 days =)

Jac
    Thanks ladies .

Day 1.

Eats so far - banana for breakfast, peppermint tea, pot of bru, chicken breast and tomato for lunch (was dry and boring, lol. Not on purpose, I was in a hurry and didn't take time to think about how to fix it better). I passed a fruit platter, which looked amazing, so I had a piece of orange and a small piece of fresh pineapple. Yum! Hopefully no fodmap repercussions . . . I'm pretty sure that was a small enough helping to get by.

Vit d and fish oil.

Concentration and mood OK. No particular IBS symptoms, just a bit of residual bloating.

Headache is developing. I also have a horrible taste in my mouth and a coated tongue. I have a dental appt on Wednesday - I'm wondering if I have a problem with one of my teeth. We shall see.

Dinner was kumara with green veges and pork chops with apple sauce. Yummy! Followed by 2 sticks of dark chocolate. Then a mandarin.
    Last edited by Jac; 10-15-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Start of day 2. It's the last teaching day for the year, and we always go out for a celebratory lunch with the class (postgraduate nurses). Wish me the strength to make good choices today . . .

Edited:

Breakfast was a banana, then 1/2 mug of peppermint tea
    Lunch: bread, followed by battered fish and chips, noodle salad and a wrap. I. Don't. Care. I didn't have any coke or anything else fizzy, so I'm taking this one as a win. I did have 2 glasses of pinot noir. Now it's just after 2.30, I'm back at my desk, and I have the shakes and a horrible headache.
    Last edited by Jac; 10-15-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    This is the start of day 4. Hopefully the detox is over, cos it's been a little scary! I haven't focused on anything except for NOT having caffeine and artificial sweeteners. Last time I came off coke zero I substituted with diet lemonade, thinking that I'd transition off that later on. Instead, I ended up transitioning back to the coke.

This time I stopped cold turkey. I had a bad headache for a couple of days, which was tolerable. Then on night 2 I lay awake almost all night in a sweat, shaking, with my heart pounding - it felt like an adrenaline reaction. I was a bit nauseated and very uncomfortable. It didn't feel like a bug, and I don't see that the wine or bread would have done that to me. If that was detox, it was horrible! So yesterday I felt like a wrung out rag most of the day, but my mind was clear and I was relaxed. Last night I slept peacefully.

Today I'm off to Auckland again, but have a late-ish start. I'll be able to eat before I leave, and then again at the usual dinner time. I have to remember to take a water bottle with me, though - I've been getting really thirsty! I do miss the fizzy drinks, so might try some carbonated water.

Just as an aside - I picked up a bottle of something called H2Zero yesterday, which said 'no artificial sweeteners' and 'no fruit juice' on it. It was a fizzy flavoured water. The second ingredient listed was 'fruit flavours', followed by one of the sugar alcohols and then a list of the other sweeteners and flavours. What kind of word games are those, that made the product look (at first glance) like water with a squirt of something harmless in it?? It's a bit of a stretch, I thought.

Edited to add that in NZ, 'picked up' means I grabbed it to look at - I didn't buy it, or consume it
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jac,
    Nice to meet a fellow coke zero addict. There again I work with a bloke who drinks 3 times as much as me.he really is an addict. The strange thing is I don't crave diet coke just coke zero. Had a few headaches, but just took 2 paracetamol and feel ok.
    What has helped me is drinking loads of cups of tea.
    I am trying not to drink anything fizzy. Not sure if eating really high fat, with plenty of salt has helped me or not, but strangely I haven't really missed it yet.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    This time I stopped cold turkey. I had a bad headache for a couple of days, which was tolerable. Then on night 2 I lay awake almost all night in a sweat, shaking, with my heart pounding - it felt like an adrenaline reaction. I was a bit nauseated and very uncomfortable. It didn't feel like a bug, and I don't see that the wine or bread would have done that to me. If that was detox, it was horrible! So yesterday I felt like a wrung out rag most of the day, but my mind was clear and I was relaxed. Last night I slept peacefully.
    the first time i stopped drinking coffee i had the exact same symptoms. i am just so lucky i dont like coke. i went to a birthday party when i was 6 yrs old and had a whole stack. i was so sick that night. literally threw up 23 times. yes i remember counting lol from that day on, i have never been able to drink coke. i have tried but i just hate it. i use it to clean the toilet if i ever get given any. saves the middle man getting involved! i have never had the nuts to try to OD my kids with coke while they were small but i am the only person i have ever met who has this sort of relationship with the stuff. if you really do have a fizzy drink thing going on, as in you like them, maybe get yourself some water kefir grains? kombucha is another one but it is a mushroom that colonises everything so it could be not so good with food intolerances.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Do you get the Mount Franklin water there? They have a new range of mildly flavoured carbonated mineral waters that are just water and natural fruit flavour - no sugar, sweetener or anything else. They're yum, especially the mixed berry flavour.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i am just so lucky i dont like coke. .
    I totally agree Seaweed. When I was an ambulance officer - guess what we used to get blood off the road ???????

terrible stuff - it dissolves a rusty nail - thats really scarey - what is it doing to our insides ????

however I have a brother, actually I have quite a few siblings....and this brother who was top 10 in the WORLD - in tris, back in the day...... loves coke. Swears by the stuff...WTF ?????

anyway Jac, good on you girl. I so need some inspiration right now...and this has soooo helped !!!!!
    I so hope your detox is over too
    I think that we all need a party ! your place or mine ?????

may 2011 146.jpg

heres the BBQ house. We could so have a party here, open fire, gas hobs, out of the wind.....
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast