Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's Countdown to 50! page 12

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi GS - thanks! I keep meaning to get to your journal again, and winencandy's too. Suse seems to have dropped off the face of the earth for now.

Doing heaps better today - another good sleep, and I found dinner was more satisfying when I added mayo to it. I need to experiment with some different oils. I've used avocado most recently, which makes a mayo with an interesting green colour. Reminds me of the pureed peas I used to feed to the oldies in a rest home. Probably tasted better though

I'm almost ready to start testing for ketones again. This time I don't have any lengthy travel to handle. The most is a 2 day trip, but I'll be in my car and able to eat good food.

Last night we had to put a tarp over the leaky part of the roof, and weight it down with bricks. The method of getting the bricks up to the roof involved Tony on the roof and me throwing them up to him - and trying to be accurate enough that he didn't fall off when catching. So each throw was 2 handed, from between my bent knees and straight up in the air. By about the 30th brick, I was getting pretty hot and much less accurate. That method of throwing meets the requirements for explosive effort and lifting heavy! My feet left the ground each time I threw. I'm waiting to see what the muscular response will be at about 30 hours post effort
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Earlier this afternoon I saw someone who hasn't seen me since the beginning of the year - she was amazed at how different I look, and said I was 'fading away'. Cool, huh?

The frustrating thing is that she's very overweight and has multiple health problems, and when I told her what I was doing she launched into a long explanation about how she only eats potatoes about once a month, but she could 'never' give up bread or her morning muesli.

facepalm.jpg
    Last edited by Jac; 09-12-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Earlier this afternoon I saw someone who hasn't seen me since the beginning of the year - she was amazed at how different I look, and said I was 'fading away'. Cool, huh?

The frustrating thing is that she's very overweight and has multiple health problems, and when I told her what I was doing she launched into a long explanation about how she only eats potatoes about once a month, but she could 'never' give up bread or her morning muesli.

facepalm.jpg
    Cheers, Jac. It's so good to have your good progress noticed by an outside observer. You are obviously on the right track, which is why her response is also so very very frustrating and sad.

Jac
    Yes, it was good to have someone notice - but really annoying to have her go on and on about being 'jealous' of my changes and asking what I was doing, and then rationalising her own eating while still repeating that she was jealous!! I couldn't get away fast enough. Bet if I said 'african mango' was my secret pill she'd have been off to the health food shop like a shot.

I've done a kind of loose assessment this morning - sleep is good, stress levels are down, general puffiness is gone but abdominal bloating is still there, abdo pain is almost gone, small joints in my feet still hurt, ketosis breath (yuck) is there, but appetite is still there too. So, I'm on track but not ready to weigh and measure just yet. Last time it was about 8 days, which would make my first really healthy day next Tuesday after I had rice etc on Monday this week.

I'm still feeling carbs call to me a bit - there's been fruit around at work, and Tony had kumara last night. It's not a craving, or even a temptation, more of a noticing and some thoughts of how good they'd taste!

Yesterday I had way too much protein - 3 chicken drumsticks for breakfast, about 300g ham for lunch (yeah, that's a lot - I nibbled on it for about an hour and it just vanished ), then 2 pork shoulder chops for dinner. The fat would have been higher than the protein, but it was still too much in terms of quantity and macros.

Today I'm having a writing day at home. I have one particular article I need to get finished and submitted really soon. It's one of those things that has dragged on for so long that it's creating a roadblock in my brain, lol.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    There's no secret pill, just eating real food and avoiding things that cause trouble. This knowledge should be a lot more common than it is, but there's no excuse for your friend now - she's seen your progress and you've told her how you did it. If she won't take it on board, what else can anyone do?

All the best for your article.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Hey Jac. Where did you get your blood ketone testing gear?

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Hey Jac. Where did you get your blood ketone testing gear?
    It's one of the standard blood glucose meters, but it can take ketone measurements too. I got it for $15 online. The test strips are about $13 for 10 online - not cheap but in the chemist shop they're $36 for 10, which nearly made me choke. Of course they'd be cheaper still with a script from a friendly dr.

I'm having a carb weekend. My mood and energy have been pretty dismal, in spite of getting good sleep. I think I'm just overwhelmed from a lengthy period of stress, and I've also been overeating protein so I'm in the 'zone of misery'. I thought I'd have a weekend of enjoying some kumara, bananas etc and spend the time planning what my ketogenic diet needs to look like. I'm facing up to the fact that I'm going to have to do some measuring, dammit! I know that if I just relaxed into eating my primal adapted diet of mod carbs that my weight would stay the same, but I want to shift the next few kgs now. So measuring it is.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    It's one of the standard blood glucose meters, but it can take ketone measurements too. I got it for $15 online. The test strips are about $13 for 10 online - not cheap but in the chemist shop they're $36 for 10, which nearly made me choke. Of course they'd be cheaper still with a script from a friendly dr.
    Whereabouts 'online'? The cheapest I can find is about $2.50 a strip. $1.30 is much better!

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Whereabouts 'online'? The cheapest I can find is about $2.50 a strip. $1.30 is much better!
    Here is where I usually get them Optium Freestyle KETONES TEST STRIPS 10 I'm happy to get some for you if they don't post to Oz
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's getting late, but I've spent the evening deciding what to do about the ketosis experiment. My mood has improved since I ate some carbs, so my thinking is clearer again. Whew. I was getting really miserable - and pretty snotty too. Poor Tony.

The reasons I want to do a ketogenic diet are few, but profound
    • it made my gut feel amazing. Not only pain free, but also free of any residual bloating
    • I slept well
    • my energy levels were up and steady
    • I lost weight

Although I still get IBS flares, for the most part I know why they happen and generally have done something dumb to provoke one. Mostly they happen as a result of being tired and/or stressed and consequently making bad choices. A ketogenic diet, for the brief time that it worked, helped me to avoid those bad food and drink choices.

I love the feeling of having no bloating and no pain. It's amazing, and I feel so sexy and comfortable in my skin. I laugh all the time, and I'm patient with people.

I am still around 20-25kg overweight. That's a significant load to cart around with me all the time, and it definitely impacts on my self-esteem too. Being unable to predict what will make me lose weight is a horrible, disheartening feeling. Ketosis changed that.

So that's why I want to do it. In my research tonight I've realised that I've been OK with my carbs - I could even increase them a little - but going overboard on the protein. I'll start with aiming for an upper limit of 75g per day, with up to 50g carbs. I'm working on a food plan that has 'exchanges' on it, so I can keep within the limits without triggering my psychopathology around counting .

I don't know how long I'll keep going with it. I'm leaving that open, because on the one hand I had a great experience with ketosis, but on the other I've just had major cravings for a banana! It might be that I'll end up doing some kind of cycling to get the best of both worlds. For now, I'm too metabolically challenged to cope with that, though.

I'd very much like to get into ketosis and stay there until I get to 65kg. Bring it on and let's see what happens.

Edited to add that I still want to see just how fabulous I can be on my 50th birthday!! 184 days, or 6 months and 4 days.
    Last edited by Jac; 09-15-2012 at 03:50 AM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast