Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's Countdown to 50! page 10

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey Jac, just caught up on the last few pages.

My thoughts on ketosticks - I remember reading that no to low readings on the sticks are really not indicative of anything other than how many ketones are being used by your body. If you're eating sub 30g of carbs daily, you ARE producing and metabolising ketones for energy, there's no other way you'd survive. However if you use all those ketones, there won't be any left to spill over into the urine. So, long story short - urine ketone measurements don't really tell you much. Better to eat vlc and not bother about torturing yourself with yet another measuring tool that doesn't accurately reflect what's going on (bathroom scales anyone!?).

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    I'm using serum ketone levels - it's about the only genuine measure I've been able to find that is independent of water weight and bloating. I'm tracking weight as well to see what correlations there are between ketone levels and scale. Also, so far ketosis has meant more energy, better sleep and fewer IBS symptoms. I'm tracking those as well. So far I'm not tracking macros, just limiting my carbs to veges and choosing more fat when it's practical and palatable. There's loads of room for tweaking! It could take 2 weeks to get fully into ketosis, though.

Weight = 88.4kg

Ketones = 0.4mmol/L
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Ah I see. As you were then.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Hey Jac, how you doing my girl? I hope dunedin went well, or is that next week ?
    I'm on a bit of a stall at present. Not going up, so that is positive ! Am really trying to adjust my ratios to lose this fat !!!!
    We shall overcome ........ have the best day
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Jac
    Dunedin is this coming Tuesday, thanks Gwamma

Also, I do appreciate the interest in my experiment and my life, Em and Louisa!! I really am serious when I say that counting things tends to make me feel bad. I get really tense when I start, so I avoid it. If this way of eating doesn't pan out, though, I'll have to resort to counting to get more information about what to tweak.

My appetite has tanked - I had a small coconut oil/coconut flakes/dark chocolate/raw cacao thing (from a batch I made last week) at about 1pm, then pork and pumpkin at about 7.30pm. I am experiencing hunger as a non-urgent sensation - very different.

I didn't weigh this morning. Ketones tonight were 0.3mmol/L. That's still pretty low, as in a normal level for waking up in the morning. It's been 6 days since I got back from Darwin, and it can take as long as 2 weeks to get back into deep ketosis. It's hard to wait, though .

I need to try and find out whether eating too little can impact on ketosis. I know people talk about fasting in order to get into and stay in ketosis, but maybe you need to be properly in it first??
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    All the best Jac. You will enjoy Dunedin. I was there as a student way "back in the day". Best time of my life. However what goes on camp stays on camp
    Anyway enjoy and keep us posted on the deep ketosis. I am interested, very interseted, and I have had a couple of pinots !!!!!!!
    so am slurring my words !!!!!!
    I think best that I head to bed !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

This is a very informative article on the subject. Interesting to note that fasting for 12-24 hours will lead to levels around 0.3. If you are on a high-fat diet you will get closer to 3.

So maybe your hypothesis is correct, maybe you are eating too little, sounds like you may need to ramp up the fat intake if you want to push yourself into deeper ketosis.

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    This is a very informative article on the subject. Interesting to note that fasting for 12-24 hours will lead to levels around 0.3. If you are on a high-fat diet you will get closer to 3.

So maybe your hypothesis is correct, maybe you are eating too little, sounds like you may need to ramp up the fat intake if you want to push yourself into deeper ketosis.
    Yeah, you're right. That was a good article, and it led me to other sites . . . another morning spent on the net and not working . Now I'll have to take work home with me!

I had to record this, though - had a crappy sleep, tired and unfocused this morning, and very thirsty. I think this relates to having too little to eat and drink yesterday.

On the brighter side, I made some mayonnaise out of lemon juice, egg and avocado oil, which turned out pretty nice - I had that on my pork dinner last night, and I also had a cocoa with coconut cream to bump up the fat. This morning I skipped breakfast (because fuzzy-brain + tiredness = not getting my shit together in time to eat!), but have just had more pork and pumpkin coated with the mayo. In addition to eating more, I think I'm also still a bit fat-phobic (although if I could eat butter and cream I don't think there'd be a problem . High fat without dairy takes a bit more focus).

Weight this morning was 88.2. Another loss, but my fingers were too puffy to wear my engagement ring and I don't feel thin today. Onwards and upwards!

Gwamma, I lived in Dunedin for just over 10 years, and did my Masters degree there! It's OK as a city, but I'm definitely not looking forward to the temperatures!

Em, I think I'm coming to Perth next April (Tony has a conference there, and I'll tag along like a good wife ). I'd love to meet you!

Edited to add that I seem to be an exclamation mark obsessive today. Note to self, be a bit more controlled tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Edited again: ketones tonight 0.6mmol/L. I had more food today, but still less than I would have eaten on more carbs.
    Last edited by Jac; 09-03-2012 at 01:37 AM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Em, I think I'm coming to Perth next April (Tony has a conference there, and I'll tag along like a good wife ). I'd love to meet you!
    It's a date. I'll take you to Lapa for a primal feast.

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    It's a date. I'll take you to Lapa for a primal feast.
    Oh Yuurmm. I'm looking forward to it!

Weight this morning was 88kg. That's cause for a big happy dance . Could it be that this ketosis thingy is working? If it is, it's the first controlled process I've ever had success with. And it's very kind on my gut.

I head for Dunedin this afternoon. I have a biiiig lunch to eat later; pork and stir fried veges, all fried up in coconut oil. I also have a couple of the coconut bark things. Eating all that through the day should get me there - we're flying/at airports from just before 3pm until just after 8pm. Dinner just won't be happening. Once there, I have some tins of coconut milk and salmon for the first day, and can have eggs for breakfast. I'm planning to get to the supermarket and stock up on more coconut milk and some of the less 'additive-laden' ham. Tony gently told me that I wouldn't be able to stay in ketosis while we are away - that's just made me more determined to do it, the little bastard . And no, he's hopeless at reverse psychology so it's not a clever move on his part - he's just worried that I'll get really pissed at him because his mother is an irritating busybody who won't adapt anything for me. Fair enough, I am the older woman who stole 'her boy' away and corrupted him .

I won't be weighing again til next week - probably Tuesday. That's a good thing, I think. I don't want to tie my motivation to the scale - but it surely helps when the numbers are good, lol. I've got the keto-metre, though and will keep measuring. I may not get the privacy to post again until I get home. Catch ya later!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast