Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's your sleep after a fast? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

How's your sleep after a fast?

Shop Now
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone have difficulty sleeping after / during a fast? If so, have you learned why this happens, or discovered how to combat it? I find that if I even fast for 8 hours I will wake up during the night with hunger pangs.

Thanks!

YB

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Couple of things come to mind. You may not be fat-adapted, or perhaps your body fat is already too low. I have been IF'ing for months, and now that my BF is getting very low I'm finding it tougher to keep cruising along for my usual 20 to 22 hour window.

Alternatively, try eating before bed instead.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    If you eat most of your food in a meal a couple of hours before bed I think it's much easier to fall a sleep. Satiating food makes you sleepy - hunger keeps you alert and awake
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I eat a few hours before going to bed, and I seem to sleep fine.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I can go all day not eating and then make up for it with a large evening meal. In fact, for me, this is the norm. Fast all day, eat from about 6:30 or 7:00 to about 10:00 or so. And doing it this way helps me sleep better. My body is working to process all that fat I've just eaten and makes me very sleepy as a result. So, even if I've consumed caffeine recently, all that effort starts me in on the yawning and my sleep is well, let's just say that lately it's been awesome.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I did a 18 hour fast two days ago, then had a big meal at 6pm, but I had the worst night's sleep (woke up at 3am... didn't get back to sleep!). So basically it could be better to eat right before bed time?! Another blow to conventional wisdom

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    If I'm doing a 24 hour dinner-to-dinner fast, I generally sleep normally (for me). If I'm doing a 36-40 hour fast, meaning that I eat dinner, eat nothing the next day, go to sleep and eat the following day, the night of my all-day fast my sleep is substantially worse - which is why I don't do these 36-40 hour fasts much anymore.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My sleep improved dramatically after I started having large and late suppers. Fasting is not coming naturally to me any more, so I don't fast right now, but overall, sleep was not impacted when I skipped breakfast and pushed the first meal to 11 am- 2 pm. If I don't eat enough in the evening I wake up at 2 am. When i was on CW it was a nightly occurrence, and the hunger was devastating. Since I get up at 4 am, I can't afford those wake up calls any more! Much happier with a full tummy at night! Screw eating at 6 pm wisdom. I eat right before bed, at 7-8 pm!
    Last edited by Leida; 06-04-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    My window is about 1p - 6p. (might be 7 or so on some nights) I normally am not hungry when I go to bed, and I dont wake up due to hunger. My trouble is getting hot during the night and that wakes me up. I thought it was only about a minute each time, but I noticed last night it does last for several minutes. It starts in at about 2 am. Almost like clock work.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any trouble sleeping on a breakfast-to-breakfast fast. In fact, going to bed takes my mind off the hunger and I usually wake up in the morning not hungry at all. It's always so disappointing because the night before I'm dreaming of all these king-sized breakfasts I'm going to make and then wake up and barely want a normal breakfast.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast