Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transitioning Vegetarians: When is it ok to NOT eat farm-raised?? page

ForensicArtist is offline Junior Member

Transitioning Vegetarians: When is it ok to NOT eat farm-raised??

Primal Fuel
    Here it is: I've been vegetarian for 35 years (squeamishness + factory farm horrors= instant veggie at 16 years old). I've seen the amazing changes in my newly paleo hubby, and have been feeling that I need more protein at my advanced age ;^P, so I am working to transition back to meat. Or, at least, chicken.

I despise factory farms, and envision that by going back to meat eventually, it will all be from local farms. We have them here, which is nice. But, what about the in-between stages? Like, I'm on travel, and need to eat, but the only options are wheat/soy-based options, or: chicken. But of course that chicken will have come from a CAFO :^( That's half the reason I became veggie in the first place, is to avoid the hideous treatment of animals.

Or, people say "try Chick-Fila, it's awesome" as a way to introduce myself back to chicken., But again that's CAFO, so how do I ethically reconcile that? Swap ethics for my feeling that I need to animal products again?

Can you tell I'm conflicted?? What to do? Sorry for the rambling, but I am really going through a big change here.....
    Last edited by ForensicArtist; 06-03-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Ask a Forensic Artist

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." ~Ronald Reagan

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Are all plant based foods ethically produced?

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    I don't think this is something "we" can help with.

Everything that lives, lives at the expense of something else. Plant, animal, human - it doesn't matter. You're going to have to find your own lines.

FWIW, there came a day I realized that most animals in the wild died whilst being eaten alive, and that non-human animals routinely torture each other for their own amusement. Against the "red in tooth and claw" backdrop of nature as she really is, I'm not sure CAFO (which i personally avoid 80/20) is all that bad on the hierarchy of horrors.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It is just fine to go back to being a vegetarian while traveling if you do not want to support inhumane farming practices. As much as possible, plan ahead and bring your own acceptable protein sources. Check ahead to see if you can find local places that may be acceptable, or eat at a local Whole Foods where you can find pre-made proteins, or order fish and seafood when at restaurants.

I don't eat out frequently. If I do, I try to find a place with decent choices. If I can't, I do eat inhumanely raised meat if there is nothing else I can find. It is rare, so I accept it for what it is.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

icz
    icz is offline Member
    I was a vegetarian for 5 years, and my DH was for 10 years. So, I cooked a *lot* a veggie meals. I always felt like I was doing the healthiest thing, but honestly - I weighed 229# as a veggie, and I am a 5'8 female. (I am now around 190).

I agree that factory farmed is an abomination, and try to eat grassfed and local small-farm raised meat when I can, but yes, I make exceptions. I try to repair this karma (if you will) by educating others about grass-fed and humanely raised meat. I don't think an all-or-nothing attitude is the best thing to have, though. I imagine you are here because you have health issues, or weight issues, or something you think primal eating will help you with. I feel your struggle, because I still feel like I am doing something "wrong" when I fry up a pan of bacon -- but I am starting to see some positive changes and ideologically this way of eating makes sense to me.

Good luck - it is nice to see someone thinking about things!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    At home you are comfortable you can buy ethically raised animals. Don't worry too much about the future, see how you feel and how that shifts your views. In the meantime, some options for traveling:
    wild caught fish, if such restaurants are in your budget
    bring your own canned fish and salad dressing and order a salad
    carry hard boiled eggs and raw milk cheese from home for short trips
    New Zealand lamb is always grass fed, if you would consider that

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Traveling is what coolers are made for. And cheese.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

ForensicArtist is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm here because I want to be healthy, and not live a lie. Just started reading "The Vegetarian Myth" in addition to MDA and other forums. I'm a 50 yr old female, 5'4", 132 lbs, and can do 20 "guy" pushups in a row I figure I'm in pretty decent shape, I would like to lose a couple pounds, but don't consider myself overweight. I just want to make the most of the years I have left on this earth, and think I've been fooling myself with vegetarianism, that's it's more "ethical" or humane. All things must die for others to live, I'm just wrapping my head around that, and looking for guidance. Thanks
    Ask a Forensic Artist

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." ~Ronald Reagan

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForensicArtist View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'm here because I want to be healthy, and not live a lie. Just started reading "The Vegetarian Myth" in addition to MDA and other forums. I'm a 50 yr old female, 5'4", 132 lbs, and can do 20 "guy" pushups in a row I figure I'm in pretty decent shape, I would like to lose a couple pounds, but don't consider myself overweight. I just want to make the most of the years I have left on this earth, and think I've been fooling myself with vegetarianism, that's it's more "ethical" or humane. All things must die for others to live, I'm just wrapping my head around that, and looking for guidance. Thanks
    While I agree with this, I still think there is great value is trying not to support inhumane meat operations. Yes, animals must die for us to live. But that does NOT mean that should have to live a life of stress and suffering.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    While I agree with this, I still think there is great value is trying not to support inhumane meat operations. Yes, animals must die for us to live. But that does NOT mean that should have to live a life of stress and suffering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast