Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arthritis Update for those who are curious page

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member

Arthritis Update for those who are curious

I have psoriatic arthritis and have been taking Enbrel for two years (side effects are things like cancer)

Found Paleo because I was interested into diet and how it can affect arthritis....

I got a skin infection two months ago so I had to quit taking my shot....usually when I do that I get "hammered" from my back/feet/hands/knees start to flair up and it sucks.

I have not had a shot in two months and have a very slight inflammation in my wrist but nothing that stops me from working out etc.

From all the books I have read over Paleo and how it affects gut health, inflammation, blood work, etc. it seems to all be very true for myself. I think that if anyone has an autoimmune disease they should go paleo to see what happens as I seem to be almost 100% better!!!!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that's awesome!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Good to hear. I will pass on information to my friend.

Crofter is offline Member
    I've been Palleo/Primal for 4 months now and it's mainly to lose weight and get fitter. My Wife joined me for a week to see if it helped her at all (she's not overweight) and the results were amazing. She was usually kept awake at nights by pain in her knees from osteo-arthritis, this stopped completely after the second day and only recurs if she eats certain foods. The worst things seem to be Bread and all wheat products, Potatoes, Rye grain and, strangely, Bananas. She tolerates white rice and a little Oats and seems OK with a little Cornstarch as a thickener.
    So that's two of us Primal in the house now. Must admit it makes my life a lot easier too!

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    I too have Psoriatic Arthritis and am taking Methotrexate and painkillers to try and control this.
    I tried dropping Nightshades initially to try and ease my suffering and it seemed to work....I have since (Aug 2011) jumped into Primal with both feet and have lost 4 stone in weight (17 stone -> 13 stone currently) and flare-ups have calmed a bit. Pain seems to come when I fall off the wagon and steal one of my wifes' chocolate biscuits.
    Thankfully my flare-ups are relatively mild compared to some although they can be debilitating as they affect my ankles, knees, wrists, shoulders and fingers.

Going back to the nightshades, you should consider dropping potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, paprika etc and see if that helps....Try to find a book called "nightshade free, Painfree" as that helped me a lot.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    My husband, who is 29, has had psoriatic arthritis in his knees for the past few years. When he gets a flare up, he's basically crippled. We've tried EVERY dietary thing we could think of - removing lectins, nightshades, dairy, gluten, legumes, omega 6 fats, alcohol, and on and on, but nothing foodwise seems to have any effect. We're fairly convinced it's 100% due to stress. We're also working on trying to improve his digestive issues, since it seems that an overburdoned liver and/or leaky gut issues could have some impact.

Fuzzynavel, Methotrexate is pretty serious stuff - my husband refused to take it because he was worried about the effects of suppressing his whole imune system. You didn't mention if it was helping - I hope it is!

Darwin, I hope this new way of eating is your ticket out of the PA nightmare - so far, seems promising!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Very nice results - congrats!

I am two weeks past due for my arthritis drugs because of a sinus infection and would normally be crippled already. So far, so good! I also have to be strict on no nightshades - but I understand it is not the case for everyone.

One thing to keep in mind - even that minor inflammation can be causing erosions in your joints. So I hope you'll keep taking your enbrel or get some x-rays to track your progress.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I have RA and OA (like my Mom and brother) and have been off all drugs for over a year. I used to take >the max dose of Ibuprofen and need narcotics to sleep. Removing nightshade made a world of difference for me. For me, potatoes=poison - can't even handle them to make the family fries or mashed w/o pain the next day. I need to get some x-rays and eval my progress so far as I was told I need both knees replaced 3 yrs ago. I am choosing to believe that I am healing myself with this way of eating and make sure I get my supps (it would be so cool to see significant progress on the x-rays). I don't want to take the immune supressing drugs as I'm sure they'd kill me - my Mom got lymphoma from them.

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzynavel View Post
    I too have Psoriatic Arthritis and am taking Methotrexate and painkillers to try and control this.
    I tried dropping Nightshades initially to try and ease my suffering and it seemed to work....I have since (Aug 2011) jumped into Primal with both feet and have lost 4 stone in weight (17 stone -> 13 stone currently) and flare-ups have calmed a bit. Pain seems to come when I fall off the wagon and steal one of my wifes' chocolate biscuits.
    Thankfully my flare-ups are relatively mild compared to some although they can be debilitating as they affect my ankles, knees, wrists, shoulders and fingers.

Going back to the nightshades, you should consider dropping potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, paprika etc and see if that helps....Try to find a book called "nightshade free, Painfree" as that helped me a lot.
    Methotrexate is some nasty stuff!!!! Jacked with my liver so much that I had a biopsy done to check out the damage. I would take milk thistle extract as that normalized my liver function on the methotrexate.

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So good to read that the primal/paleo diet can help with arthritis! My mom has had psoriatic arthritis for over 20 years, it is very severe, all her joints are badly affected and damaged (deformed) and we haven't been able to pinpoint a single cause She has eaten a primal diet for 8 months now (as have I, although I 'only' have osteoarthritis in my knees), dropped 26 lbs so far, which she is quite happy about (she is obese and has been since she gave birth to my sister and me) and says she feels lighter and can walk and move more. And she saw great improvement in pain for the first few months, but then it got worse again The weather seems to affect her very intensely and we've certainly had a very bad winter and spring has been very unstable, so to speak - summer temperatures one day then back to autumn cold and rain. And she has been in a lot of pain because of the constantly changing weather

Now, I have suggested she try giving up dairy for at least a month to see how it would affect her. She has already mostly given up grains, but is unwilling to try the dairy thing - she loves dairy and can't imagine living without it As for nightshades, they don't seem to affect her, at least she hasn't noticed a connection. Oh, I hope I can figure out some way to help her get better...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast