Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbs and Exercise page 2

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Yes, definitely. But I don't think carbs themselves were ever the real problem.
    What do you mean by that? I thought the problem was that people were getting too many carbs, and not enough exercise (in terms of weight that is)?

I'm not sure how popular this idea is in this community, but I've heard some say the reason for such high obesity is because of F-ed up hormones caused by continual high blood sugar levels affecting insulin and other important hormones.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Except white rice! At least, I've found it not to affect me in a negative way, like other grains.
    Same here. White rice is the best source of carbs (starch) for glycogen loading, far superior to fruits and better than sweet potatoes. It's also low in anti-nutrients and not allergenic for most peeps. Moreover, it's very versatile.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    According to GAPS diet, even rice would feed bad gut bacteria though, have i got this theory correct?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean by that? I thought the problem was that people were getting too many carbs, and not enough exercise (in terms of weight that is)?

I'm not sure how popular this idea is in this community, but I've heard some say the reason for such high obesity is because of F-ed up hormones caused by continual high blood sugar levels affecting insulin and other important hormones.
    Something "F-ed up" the hormones and their signalling (insulin being one of them and a big one at that), at which point dietary glucose becomes toxic. Did excessive dietary glucose in and of itself cause the hormones to be "F-ed up?" Maybe, maybe not. While the therapy may not be indicative of a cure, avoiding dietary glucose seems to be therapeutic for a lot of people.

lizmint is offline Junior Member
    Except white rice! At least, I've found it not to affect me in a negative way, like other grains.
    White rice just doesn't feel like a real food. It's all white and tasteless and fluffy. I can't imagine that it does much for you other than load you with carbs, which could be useful if you're doing a lot of cardio I suppose.

nixxy is offline Senior Member

I'd have to agree with this. I think modern obese people have had years of spiked blood glucose. It can create organ damage and mess up a lot of our signalling - creating a hunger cycle that just adds to the weight problem.

Not "hormones" in the traditional sense that people think of, but hormones and important signallers non-the-less
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    As long as your workouts are kept under 45 minutes I don't think you need that many carbs. I have one sweet potato a week and a little bit of fruit here and there, and I swim and kayak 5 days a week and lift weights hard 2 days a week and sprint 3 times a week just fine.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's totally relative. Just figure out what works for you; it will take time and experimentation, but no one on this forum can tell you what will work best for you. I am a 24 year old female; I do crossfit 3-4 times a week and yoga 4 or 5 times a week and I eat sweet potatoes almost every day, and I am lean and healthy. Even if you were the same age as I am and had the same level of activity, your needs would likely be different from mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12