Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone considered eating flowers?! page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Has anyone considered eating flowers?!

Primal Fuel
    At the risk of sounding like Homer (Simpson), I've been eying up the vase of tulips on my table and I can't help but thinking that flowers are potentially a nourishing food, full of cholorophyll. The stems look just like spring greens. The flowers... hmm, well - you're going to the source of honey... can't be all bad!

Anyone ever been tempted - or tried?! Mark recommends eating insects so I can't imagine this is too left of field (no pun intended ).

Ellement is offline Member
    Marigold petals are delicious in salads, and I loved the sugared violets my grandma used to make when I was a kid. Couldn't say whether tulips taste any good. Would definitely be doing my research before ingesting flowers willy-nilly...some can be very toxic!
    Right here Right now

An Aussie girl goes Primal

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I've eaten dandelions. Before eating any flower, you may want to check to make sure it's actually edible.

42 Flowers You Can Eat : TreeHugger

I've used this resource before eating Dandelions. May help you out.

SleepyRoots is offline Member
    A lot of plants not found in the produce aisle are edible. I do believe tulips have a certain grade of toxicity, but I don't know if that applies to the flowers as well.

Dandelions, marigolds, elderflowers (though I have only encountered them battered and fried), borage. There's lots of forgeable leaves too.
    As with mushrooms: be sure what it is, and clean well. Of course it's best if you can find a local expert willing to teach you

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy eating flowers- except marigolds. Ew.

Most flowers are quite delicious, however.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    I've eaten dandelions. Before eating any flower, you may want to check to make sure it's actually edible.

42 Flowers You Can Eat : TreeHugger

I've used this resource before eating Dandelions. May help you out.
    Amazing resource! Thnks a lot

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Yup, they make a nice adition to BAS's
    Ones I use (cause I can just go out and pick them around here) are wild rose petals, nasturtiums(leaves to) gorse bush flowers, marigolds and honeysuckle flowers.
    Do some research first though cause not all flowers are safe to eat.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to raise the potential concern of pesticides. If the flowers were grown without intent for them being eaten, there may be different practices in terms of pesticides/herbicides I would think. Since no one's going to be eating them, I assume they would use a much stronger, and more toxic substance.

Do your homework, thoroughly.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I eat broccoli and cauliflower. There are some bok choy-type vegetables at the market that have flowers and you can eat mustard flowers. You can sometimes find baggies with nasturtiums, pansies, calendula or other flowers at the store. Sometimes you can find candied violets. Of actual bouquet flowers, my pet parrot that I used to bring to work (I worked at a flower shop) loved to eat roses and carnations. I tasted the carnations and they taste like pepper. I wouldn't eat such flowers, however, because they spray them pretty heavily since nobody's going to eat them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mmmmm~ stuffed squash blossoms!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast