Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone considered eating flowers?! page 2

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I had a lovely wild salad made by a friend on Friday that included elder flowers, red clover and rose petals with wild garlic, beech leaves, lime leaves and sorrel - Yum
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

seashells is offline Senior Member
    I thought dendrobium orchids would be bitter but they're actually quite yummy.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    nasturtium were my favorite growing up. they have a slightly spicy, slightly sweet flavor. i wouldn't eat anything from a flower shop, though. no way to know what has been added to it or how it was grown.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I'd like to raise the potential concern of pesticides. If the flowers were grown without intent for them being eaten, there may be different practices in terms of pesticides/herbicides I would think. Since no one's going to be eating them, I assume they would use a much stronger, and more toxic substance.

Do your homework, thoroughly.
    That was my first thought, as well.

That said, I remember my mom making jam out of dandelion flowers when I was a kid. It wasn't my favorite, but hey, it was jam.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    nasturtium were my favorite growing up. they have a slightly spicy, slightly sweet flavor. i wouldn't eat anything from a flower shop, though. no way to know what has been added to it or how it was grown.
    Theres a huge patch of them growing wild on the cliffs here and also on the side of the field next door to the local nursery.
    All the stuff I pick is growing wild so no worrys about sprays
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Flower shop flowers are not a good idea to eat--they're sprayed with lots of weird crap while growing and often have chemical preservation agents added to keep them looking nice. I'd also be cautious of foraging dandelions or clover from public parks where spraying might take place. But if you can find a reasonably clean source (a yard where you know no spraying takes place or maybe wildflowers from a place where humans wouldn't be spraying chemicals, etc.), there are lots of tasty flowers: nasturtiums, rose petals, violets, violas, marigold, clover, elderflower, lavender, dandelions...

Other flower-based foods include capers (a flower bud), saffron (stigmas from a type of crocus), and vanilla (orchid pods).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Day lilies are yummy.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I like fried zucchini flowers - they're yummy stuffed with cheese, white rice, onions, garlic and fresh herbs, with a baby zucchino still attached. Quite difficult to source, but I've found a local farm shop that sells them.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    The "spring mix" being sold by one booth at our local farmer's market had some herbs in it that had started to flower. They left the flowers on the herbs as they sold the mix. So I guess you could take it or leave it yourself. Kinda nice to be given the choice.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I like flowering borage. nice stuff.

yes, we eat a fair number of flowers, actually.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast