Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: an observation page

catdance62 is offline Senior Member

Question an observation

Primal Fuel
    I have an observation more than a question, and would like to hear other's thoughts on this.
    I have noticed when looking through different Paleo/primal recipes that there seems to be
    a fair amount of recipes that are "bread replacements", like, things made with coconut flour
    and almond flour. Not that I am knocking it, but I thought the idea of going Paleo was to
    get rid of things like bread etc. I guess maybe I just dont' understand? I quit eating
    bread/crackers/cereal/etc. when my husband did about 2 months ago (he has had serious
    intestinal problems for the last few years and is missing 12inches of his intestines due
    to surgery). I don't miss it...in fact I never really thought about it afterwards; I certainly
    wasn't going to buy it just for myself.
    On another dietary note, I haven't eaten SAD in almost 20 years,--I eat more like WAPF style
    eating, although I was a vegetarian for 13 years prior to raising our own livestock which we do now.
    No grains (rice on a rare occasion and sprouted millet) since he quit them and the only dairy I intake
    is yogurt (that I make) and a bit of milk in my coffee.
    So, do people make all these bread-type things because they miss them? or what? I may
    try to make some Paleo "pizza"--it looks interesting.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I think everyone has their own version...
    It seems like a lot of primal "treats" are posted by people with families and maybe kids and husbands that want "normal" foods. You know, kid wants a cupcake, better it be primal.

Also, baking is a legit hobby- I used to love baking and primal/paleo baking would fill that void for many people.

I mean, good for you that you can be so compliant- but some of us simply still enjoy certain foods. Mine is dairy. We are still getting many of the benefits and keeping ourselves happy. This is meant to be a long term way of life so if you really love good cheese or baking you might not want to fully abandon it.

SleepyRoots is offline Member
    I think the relative prevalence of those kinds of recipes it's because that's the pale/primal stuff that warrant separate recipes. A recipe for roast pork belly is the same whether it's labelled paleo or not. So are buttered carrots.
    So the stuff people mostly need dedicated recipes for is the replacement stuff. People evidently miss their pizza, pasta, cereal and sandwiches, else there would be no gluten free junk food in the supermarket, or recipes for it on the internet.
    Personally I don't miss the stuff. Friends always have given me more sweets and cakes than I fancy eating and now they just buy the gluten free versions. It still piles up
    Then again I am lucky that I am not craving sweets too much. I was the child who got shouted at for having the meat without the bread and my chocolate santas were still there the next christmas. A lot of people struggle a lot more, and sweets are very easy to munch on.

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I know that baking is fun; I used to love to make bread.
    I raise dairy goats and make cheese, albeit most of it I sell.
    I am fortunate that I never had a "sweet tooth", like many people.
    Sugar seems to be the hardest thing for people to overcome when
    trying to go Paleo. My parents didn't buy sweets, although my mom
    baked cookies on occasion and we did have ice cream in the fridge
    usually. They didn't drink soda, so neither did I. Koolaid was a treat
    reserved for when I had my little friends over for a play day.
    Last edited by catdance62; 06-03-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    The only thing that I have made that has any resemblance to bread is this:Oopsie Rolls .

Three ingredients: eggs, cream of tartar (I used 1/8 tsp of white vinegar in substitution) and cream cheese (I used organic full-fat). If you can't tolerate dairy, you may be able to replace it with something else (unsure). I also added dried herbs to make it more savory.

Felt and held up like a bun. I used two for a cheeseburger. I couldn't really tell the difference when I ate it all together. I really recommend for burgers if you feel like having an actual hamburger.
    Last edited by Metric; 06-03-2012 at 07:45 AM.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    The only thing that I have made that has any resemblance to bread is this:Oopsie Rolls .

Three ingredients: eggs, cream of tartar (I used 1/8 tsp of white vinegar in substitution) and cream cheese (I used organic full-fat). I also added dried herbs to make it more savory.

Felt and held up like a bun. I used two for a cheeseburger. I couldn't really tell the difference when I ate it all together. I really recommend for burgers if you feel like having an actual hamburger.
    Thank you so much for this recipe! I'm "making" my kids go primal with me this summer, and my 11 year old son is so upset over having to eat a bunless burger.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

peril is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people are in denial. Mostly they are seeking only weight loss rather than optimum health
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think the only paleo/primal recipe I ever followed was the egg muffin recipe. I have to go online and search for the proper way to cook various meats (temperature really matters). Other than that, I don't need a recipe to steam some broccoli or nuke a sweet potato. My cooking is very boring.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennGlob View Post
    Thank you so much for this recipe! I'm "making" my kids go primal with me this summer, and my 11 year old son is so upset over having to eat a bunless burger.
    My DH also. It's the only "bread-like" thing that I will ever make. I've made it once. I'll likely do it again at some point. I'm not much of a burger person and have no problem going bun-free if we are having burgers.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Mostly they are seeking only weight loss rather than optimum health
    Or they want a balance between optimal health, enjoyment of food, enjoyment of hobbies and a happy family. I think there begins to be diminishing returns on health after a certain point. How much healthier is it to eliminate say, all dairy? Obviously, eliminating soda or fast food has a huge return.... but once you start eliminating certain whole foods, I'm not sure the impact on your health is that measurable unless you have an allergy. Like yogurt is pretty damn good for you. And fruits. They have positive attrributes that begin to outweigh the perceived negatives- ie, they provide good nutrition.

You know, if your kid is crying over not having a hamburger bun, maybe oopsie rools or what not makes your meal more pleasant. If you crave time in the kitchen maybe the pursuit of wheatless, sugar free cookies is time well spent.

I get a puritan vibe from a lot of people here... and its all good if that's who you are, but not everyone who enjoys different kinds of food are being careless about their health. It's not an all or nothing and you can make major and measurable improvements in your health without being 100% paleo/primal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast