Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honey Do page

Buzz is offline Junior Member

Honey Do

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

OK, most sugars are a no-no, right? And honey is alright, at least in moderation.
    I would like to discuss this more. The reason why is that I like to cook, have a slight
    sweet tooth and have already used honey to replace sugar in a lot of my recipes.
    Is it ok to have honey in my regular food intake - especially if it is replacing my sugar
    intake? Also, I LOVE grape juice and grapefruit juice. Are the sugars in these really
    bad for me (I'm talking about 8 to 12oz per day)?

FYI- I have been buying ALL of my honey from a place called Smiley Apiaries
    Tupelo Honey from Wewahitchka Florida - Smiley Apiaries
    No this isn't a plug, I heard from another person that Tupelo honey is awesome
    and so I tried it - and loved it. One of the biggest reasons? - it NEVER crystallizes!
    Add on top of that that I heard a honey expert say that it is one of the only food
    sources that pretty much lasts indefinitely- and it's natural - and no
    preservatives - wow.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    me, personally, i enjoy honey and concord grape juice and will happily have them on occasion

some people will come in to say it's too much sugar, true

it all just depends on what your body weight goals are. if you want to lose, cut down. if you're happy with your weight, keep on truckin
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Depends

If by replacing sugar with honey you mean 2 big spoons in your coffe 4 times a day, honey and almond flour cakes every day or so, large spoons of honey in greek yogert everyday, then that is more sugar than is optimal IMHO, if however you mean ocasional treat with paleo ingredients, then fine.

Personally I only have fruit jucie very occasionaly, like less than once every 2-3 weeks, and then it's at least 50% water, but that's my choice, as it is quite sugary. As Bloodorchid said depends on what you are looking to achieve.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Like bloodorchid says, depends on your goals. What to lose weight? Having a hard time at it? Consider dropping the honey.

At goal weight? Don't see any nasty sugar swings from eating it? Have fun!

Buzz is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone - pretty much what I expected for suggestions. I didn't over-use sugar before, just wanted to have a good natural substitute for it in some of my recipes (meat marinades, etc.). I do enjoy eating 1 or 2 spoonfuls of honey once in a while (couple times a month). Forgive me but I'm a newbie to this and trying to learn from the veterans here how to improve my food intake.
    Thanks again for the input!

Buzz

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I use a spoon of it in my coffee every day, just once a day and I dont see a problem with it. What is the biological differences between good honey and white or brown sugar? does 1 or the other affect us differently?
    Last edited by Warmbear; 06-04-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    I use a spoon of it in my coffee every day, just once a day and I dont see a problem with it. What is the biological differences between good honey and white or brown sugar? does 1 or the other affect us differently?
    Not directly answering your question because it's comparing corn syrup vs. honey, but still useful info:
    The Daily Lipid: High-Fructose Corn Syrup is Sweet Poison, Honey Is Yummy -- Against "Pulling a Campbell"

And it's been posted quite a bit on these forums, but you should also be careful about where you get your honey from, if your goal is to have a more "nutritious" sweeteners.

Honey Laundering | Mother Jones

White sugar is a refined product, half fructose and half glucose. It's been stripped of all nutrients. Brown sugar is slightly better because it has the molasses going for it. I'd say brown sugar > white sugar > agave nectar > HFCS.

Raw honey, like real maple syrup, has nutrients going for it. At the end of the day, though, sugar is sugar. I'll take honey over agave, but I'm always conscious that it's only there to sweeten, and has little nutritional benefit to warrant the extra calories.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    White sugar is a refined product, half fructose and half glucose. It's been stripped of all nutrients. Brown sugar is slightly better because it has the molasses going for it. I'd say brown sugar > white sugar > agave nectar > HFCS.

No way, Jose. HFCS is absolute garbage, but agave nectar is substantially worse.

Dr. Joseph Mercola: This Sweetener Is Far Worse Than High Fructose Corn Syrup

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    No way, Jose. HFCS is absolute garbage, but agave nectar is substantially worse.

Dr. Joseph Mercola: This Sweetener Is Far Worse Than High Fructose Corn Syrup
    Hunh. That's interesting. Okay, I revise my statement, and agave continues to disappoint us all.

At least it can turn into tequila....

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Honey is high in fructose. As far as insulin goes it's no better than table sugar. Just because grok ate it that doesn't mean it's good for you. Grok was worried about survival and not optimum health. He would not have turned down donuts anymore than the seagulls will at the beach. Grok ate honey but only rarely and when it was in season.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast