Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honey Do page 2

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    Honey is high in fructose. As far as insulin goes it's no better than table sugar. Just because grok ate it that doesn't mean it's good for you. Grok was worried about survival and not optimum health. He would not have turned down donuts anymore than the seagulls will at the beach. Grok ate honey but only rarely and when it was in season.
    You really should read that Daily Lipid article.

That said, I agree with you in that sugar is still sugar, regardless of how much good is bound up in it. Eat honey, but don't be surprised when it stalls your weight loss (if that is, in fact, your goal).

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Cordain talks about modern hunter/gathers eating honey in this video

See ref at 47 minutes to 49 minutes where Cordain says they only ate honey rarely

and again in the Q&A at 1hr 1 minute. where someone asks specifically if honey was better than sugar and Cordain says it's not..."honey is not a good thing."

Loren Cordain - Origins and Evolution of the Western Diet: Health Implications for the 21st Century. - YouTube
    Last edited by Scott F; 06-04-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Buzz is offline Junior Member
    Scott F,

I only use Tupelo honey and I realize that it has fructose in it, but isn't this a way better source for a natural
    alternative to refined sugars? I'm not talking about sucking down cups of it daily, but rather using it as a
    substitute to sugar. FYI - I intake less than 1 oz a week. It's delicious & full of nutrients and vitamins.

I'm only trying to clarify this issue. I am just starting this new way of life and am used to eating the usual
    crap that a lot of people eat. Grains, sugars, etc... So my cooking and eating habits need to change - I get
    that. I can compromise on a lot of things, but I don't see why I have to give up on something as pure
    and delicious as honey. Maybe you can convince me?

More FYI from a Tupelo supplier:

"Our Tupelo has not been heated or filtered, it is Raw extracted Tupelo Honey, packaged in a bottle straight from the beehive to you."

Florida Department of Agriculture Analysis Report for 2009
    100% Natural Honey
    Fructose/Glucose Ratio -- 1.76
    Fructose: HPLC ------------ 44.41%
    Glucose: HPLC ------------- 25.30%
    Maltose: HPLC ------------- 3.01%
    Pollen Grains -------------- 95 %
    Sucrose: HPLC -------------- 0.92%

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I love that video of the tribesman climbing a super tall tree in a jungle with a bucket, reaching into a live bee nest, and lowering loaded honeycombs down to his family while they all get stung to high heaven. Makes you wonder if all groks had balls like that.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Makes you wonder if all groks had balls like that.
    Pretty much, or we all wouldn't be here.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    Honey is high in fructose. As far as insulin goes it's no better than table sugar. Just because grok ate it that doesn't mean it's good for you. Grok was worried about survival and not optimum health. He would not have turned down donuts anymore than the seagulls will at the beach. Grok ate honey but only rarely and when it was in season.
    Exactly, if Grok had immediate access to unlimited supplies of honey like we do, the human species would have died out long ago. So, yes it's a whole food and a superior sweetener relative to the industrial sweeteneers, but we shouldn't be eating large quantities of it on a daily basis. I say one teaspoon a day max and like all other foods, rotate it completely out of your diet for extended periods, intermittent fast, exercise etc. Grok on, people!

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    If you're just using it in small amounts (1 teaspoons a day) or in marinades, I would say it probably doesn't matter if you use honey or table sugar, or maple syrup, or whatever (OMG! blasphemy!). If you like honey, keep using honey, but if you switched from sugar just because it is "better" or "more paleo" or whatever, then I really don't think there's too much of a problem with just using sugar.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Honey has trace quantities of essencial amino acids, antioxidants, anti-bacterial and anti viral properties. So it is better than white sugar if you are going to consume sweets.

The Essential Amino Acids In Honey | LIVESTRONG.COM

It shouldn't be given to infants though because of the risks of botulism via bacterial spores that are contained within. There are also certain kinds of honey that are toxic to humans because some flowers have toxins that are dangerous to humans.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acteon View Post
    Honey has trace quantities of essencial amino acids, antioxidants, anti-bacterial and anti viral properties. So it is better than white sugar if you are going to consume sweets.

The Essential Amino Acids In Honey | LIVESTRONG.COM

It shouldn't be given to infants though because of the risks of botulism via bacterial spores that are contained within. There are also certain kinds of honey that are toxic to humans because some flowers have toxins that are dangerous to humans.
    I didn't dig into the studies, but the anti bacterial properties are simply the concentration of sugars in honey which upun contact with bacteria dehydrate them, hence Anti Bacterial, you could do the same thing with nearly any sugar or electrolyte.
    I question all the other claims as depending on what your state is antioxidants may or may not be beneficial, so on balance, Honey is sugar with some bee spit and compounds that may improve your health or provoke an allergenic reaction.
    Last edited by Omni; 09-03-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Just on the Ancestral bent,
    Below is part of a 5 part blog on human evolution and diet, pretty similar to others I have read, it appears when we jumped out of the trees, we diverged from the fruitarian ways of the chimpanzees and indicating we most likely evolved with limited simple sugar intake.

The Paleo Diet For Australopithecines: Approaching The Meat Of The Matter (Big Brains Require An Explanation, Part IV) - GNOLLS.ORG
    The Paleo Diet For Australopithecus afarensis

Eat all you can find of:
    Nuts
    Root vegetables
    Insects
    Mushrooms
    Meat (particularly bone marrow)

Eat sparingly:
    Fruit (your tooth enamel won’t withstand the acids)
    Foliage (your teeth aren’t shaped correctly for leaf-chewing)
    In other words, A. afarensis was most likely eating a diet within the existing range of modern ancestral diets—3.4 million years ago.

The only major addition to this diet previous to the appearance of anatomically modern humans is the gathering of shellfish, known from middens dated to 140 KYA at Blombos Cave.
    But like everyone else, I do like a bit of Sugar on occassion, it's not the best, enjoy it when you do, but try to limit it overall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast