Thread: Nursing mama, too much weight loss! page

mamameaghan is offline Junior Member

Nursing mama, too much weight loss!

Hi all!

I have been eating real, mostly local, organic whole foods for the past 3 or so years. In Jan of this year my family and I decided to go fully primal in hopes of fixing lingering gut issues and enamel hydroplasia on my daughters 2 front teeth.

I am 5'7" and had been hanging out at 125 for the past few years. I just finished basically a whole 90 with no cheats and my weight has slowly been dropping and I am hanging around 115 which feels too slim for me. I eat so much healthy fat its absurd. No grain, little to no starch. Lots of veg, both raw and steamed and fruit. I'm not concerned with my carbo load really. Nursing an infant burns around 500 calories a day and I suspect nursing a 19 month old still 5ish times a day as well as throughout the night burns even more.

Should I add in more starches? whey/protein shake? I cannot afford primal powder even though i would love to!

Thank you for your help!!

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    I was at my lowest weight, still exclusively breastfeeding a 16 month old who had zilch interest in solids.

Yeah, I would eat a ton more starches and fruit. Perhaps if you can tolerate it, full-fat raw dairy as well.

my daughter just started eating solids more than 5% in the last month or so. Good to know I'm not alone! Maybe as she lessens her nursing I will be able to maintain weight better. Thank you!

McChunky is offline Member
    What's with the exclusion of starches? I'm still nursing a toddler and I would've keeled over and died without plenty of potatoes (sweet & reg.) and fruit. Also, I regularly consume full-fat dairy.

I weigh quite a bit more than you at 5'8 and wear a 2/4.... How are you not emaciated-looking?

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, it wasn't until around 24 months that she was eating full meals. She's 3 1/2 now, and I suspect she will decide to be fully weaned within a month's time. Nice to be finally done, but bitter sweet. I think it's wonderful you're giving your daughter your best.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm the same height-weight and I don't think I look emaciated. I was still nursing my son when I went primal. I was fine without starch, but I do eat a lot of fruit.

Anyway, if you want to eat more starch or whatever, then do. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

high starchy foods are to be consumed in moderation. primal doesnt talk much about nursing mamas.

how am I not emaciated looking? Uhhhh different body types?

I just wasnt sure if more starch would burn of quickly and make me more hungry or whatever. Thank you for the reply!

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I would think adding plenty starch and fruit into your diet would probably really help you out, with both keeping your weight up and hopefully energy (you're a new mom so I'm assuming you're tired a lot!) as well. They certainly won't hurt you any. Eating low-carb you may just not get enough of an appetite up (the high protein/fat content can reduce appetite) to actually take in all the energy and materials you need to produce your milk, so you use up a little of your body's energy stores as well!

Congratulations on your little one btw
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mamameaghan View Post
    I just wasnt sure if more starch would burn of quickly and make me more hungry or whatever. Thank you for the reply!
    It will. If you're losing weight that you don't want to lose, being a little hungrier is exactly what you want to do. Then you'll spontaneously eat a little more and your body will get enough of what it needs instead of needing to dip into the emergency supplies.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal