Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vegetables page

saarx1 is offline Senior Member

vegetables

hey guys.
    theres alot of stuff our body needs, alot of minerals and vitamins and i know most of them we get by eating vegetables.
    So, what vegetables in your opinion are a must?

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Dark green leafy (like spinach, kale, and chard), and cruciferous (broccoli, cabbage, sprouts) are the ones I turn to most often. I know they're good, but I don't have a breakdown of all the nutrients. Asparagus, bok choi, and gai lan also round things out.
    And technically fruit, but also tomatoes.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I loves me some veggies, but I don't eat them as often as I know I should. I do think they're important, but I also know it's OK if I don't ALWAYS have them. They're just good, and take up a lot of space to make me feel full.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You are somewhat mistaken to believe that most vitamins and minerals are gotten from vegetables. For years I believed that meat and animal products were nutritionless and worthless. Now I know the truth. There are vitamins and minerals in meat, fat and organs that are more easily absorbed by your body and some provide more vitality than their vegetable versions. Enjoy whatever vegetables you like, but eat your liver, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    ha I missed that the OP said that...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Done with vegetables, finally.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Vegetable are quite healthy but no paarticular vegetable is a "must." If I had to pick a few of the most nutritious I'd choose kale, other dark green leafy veg, carrots, and sweet potatoes. You can live without any vegetables, but you'll probably be healthier if you eat some, as far as I can tell. Which ones - depends on where you live, what you like, what season it is, etc.

Some pretty useless vegetables include iceberg or other light-colored lettuces, cucumbers, green peppers. Tomatoes out-of-season and shipped from Mexico or somewhere are really pointless.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You are somewhat mistaken to believe that most vitamins and minerals are gotten from vegetables. For years I believed that meat and animal products were nutritionless and worthless. Now I know the truth. There are vitamins and minerals in meat, fat and organs that are more easily absorbed by your body and some provide more vitality than their vegetable versions. Enjoy whatever vegetables you like, but eat your liver, too.
    There are particular vitamins and nutrients that are not really found in animal meats and even in the organs, only in small amounts. In those instances, veggies are more useful as sources for them.

In addition, though some vitamins and minerals are absorbed better accompanied with fat (vitamins D and E are prime examples), there are some vitamins and minerals that are water solulable and are absorbed fine without the presence of fat (vtamin C is a good example as is, I think, vitamin K).

For that reason, I recommend that most people keep a healthy diet of animal protein/fats and vegetables in the diet.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    There are particular vitamins and nutrients that are not really found in animal meats and even in the organs, only in small amounts. In those instances, veggies are more useful as sources for them.
    Which?

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    In addition, though some vitamins and minerals are absorbed better accompanied with fat (vitamins D and E are prime examples), there are some vitamins and minerals that are water solulable and are absorbed fine without the presence of fat (vtamin C is a good example as is, I think, vitamin K).

For that reason, I recommend that most people keep a healthy diet of animal protein/fats and vegetables in the diet.
    Vitamin K is fat soluble. Adrenals, kidney and brain are all good sources of vitamin C

Perhaps some fact checking first next time
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

PrimalCon New York
    A nice big salad every day with added spinach, along with all the usual suspects, and whatever veggies you enjoy eating. Food has got to be fun if you are going to stick to a way of eating for life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast