Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The China Study page

Diatom2012 is offline Junior Member

The China Study

Shop Now
    The Primal Blueprint calls for lots of consuming of meat. This makes sense from the stand point of losing weight.
    But there is a dark side: the acceleration of growth of cancer tumors.
    This is the big idea in the seminal research project on diet and disease published under the name "The China Study".
    ::: THE CHINA STUDY :::
    The science behind it is of the highest level: a vast research project spanning 20 years, funded by the US government, FDA, and academic grants, vetted by the best universities (performed at Cornell).
    The author compares the diets of Americans and their resulting diseases with the diets of the Chinese and their resulting diseases.
    In short, the big discovery is that the proteins in meat accelerate the growth of cancer tumor cells. The instances of colon cancer and other types of cancers were much higher in the west than in China. At the time of the study (the 1970s and 80s), the Chinese diet was mostly vegetarian, due to economic restrictions.
    To illustrate the point vividly, in one experiment, a group of rats were given an equal dose of dioxin, one of the most potent carcinogens known. Then the group was split in two, and one group given a high protein diet (around 20%, which is typical of Western diet) and the other group was given a low protein diet (less than 5%). The result was striking: all of the rats in the group with high protein diet developed liver tumors, and none of the low protein group developed tumors. He details this experiment in his paper, if you'd like to see the details. The conclusion: high protein diet acts as a switch, accelerating the growth of tumor cells. The worst culprit turned out to be red meat and dairy, which were highest in the kinds of proteins which fed tumors. Proteins from fish and poultry were not so bad, and protein from vegetables were mostly harmless, with regard to feeding particular kinds of tumors.
    There is a well documented linkage between red meat consumption and colon cancer.

Just wondering if those who promote the consumption of lots of meat were aware of this study, and if they had an opinion about it.

Thomas

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    THAT'S your one and only post???

Try doing a search here.

China Study? Seriously...
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    pretty much everybody here has learned of the china study

it's very important work and we, as vegans, support it whole heartedly
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    What is so weird is that it's been debunked since forever. I remember first learning about it and reading the criticisms of it back in 1999-2000 (when I was vegan no less).

I don't get why this is so exciting to people still. LOL

shhhh coolbird, we're vegans here
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

I know. You would think it would be old news, but I'm on an email list for a diet forum from back years ago, and they sent me one Thursday about an article. It brought up the "red meat is bad for you" study again. Seriously. To make matters worse, someone brought up the China Study like it was words straight from God.

I know I should just unsubscribe from the emails, but it's like a train wreck. You have to look. And then I can't just walk away.

Diatom2012 is offline Junior Member
    my first time posting. yeah. didn't think to search, and indeed there is a fair amount on this topic. oops.
    for the record, I'm not a vegan. just interested in facts. there are a lot of interesting ideas in the blueprint, but this does appear to be the achilles heel.
    there is no right or wrong here, just the truth, which is difficult to come by. the scientific experiments speak most clearly.
    the Minger article is a good read. she's clearly smart. but her arguments unfortunately do not debunk the results of research and clinical studies showing the correlation between red meat and cancer.
    correlation, yes, this is not math or physics and direct causality is nearly impossible to prove. still the China Study is actually good science. I'd love to see a clear, scientific debunk. please, show me.

unfortunately, this is clearly a political football, and there's no point in fighting over personal beliefs. but beliefs can prevent you from discovering the truth.
    ok. backing out slowly.....

there is plenty of debunking, just google

it isn't just blind rejection, promise
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I have to say, this forum probably has some of the most intelligent (and questioning) people on the internet. If there was anything to the China Study, they would have been all over it already.

There may be a few here that accept whatever is handed to them, but the vast majority want their facts backed up with even more facts, with a side order of good data.

The China Study is crap.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast