Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does any natural sunscreen work?! page

elektro is offline Member

Does any natural sunscreen work?!

I've tried a bunch of different "natural" sunscreens, Kiss My Face, Badger, ect. Every time I use them I get burned, compared to conventional sunscreens, which don't. Are there any natural sunscreens that will keep me from getting bured? I know sunscreens can only go so far and if you sit out in the strong sun all day there's no sunscreen that will work, but the natural ones I've used just seem to do nothing at all.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    How long are you primal?
    I'm about 6 months now and I just don't burn
    I used to be really white - friends used to gag at me for that.. because I couldn't tan, I'd just burn
    I can tan now!
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I was really sensitive to burning. Once I got my vitamin D3 levels up, that problem greatly lessened. I can now use a natural sunscreen on my face and neck without burning.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i stopped burning after a while of taking d3 and fish oil

til then, there's long sleeve shirts, hats, acclimating your skin to sun by sitting out for 15 minutes per free day, and using regular sunscreen
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Devain is offline Member
    I'm primal, I take lots of D3 and fish oil, and I burn. Not as much as I once did, but I still burn.
    Im not in this world to live up to your expectations and youre not in this world to live up to mine. ―Bruce Lee

2012: 01/17 238~34% | 03/17 215~28%| 5/17 196~24% | 8/22 188 ~20% (then I got lazy)
    2013: 1/27 190~20%

Quote Originally Posted by Devain View Post
    I'm primal, I take lots of D3 and fish oil, and I burn. Not as much as I once did, but I still burn.
    Yes - I don't mean to imply I am somehow immune to burning. I can just use a more natural sunscreen now without burning and I don't tend to burn as quickly or severely when I forget sunscreen.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

elektro is offline Member
    So you all just don't use sunscreen? I've been primal for about 2 years. I can get really tan, I'm not fair skin or prone to burning easily, but if I'm out in the sun for an hour or two I will usually get red. Also, how do you protect against the aging effects of the sun even if you are not burning?

abstract is offline Junior Member
    I used UV Natural, which has about 24% zinc oxide, when I hiked the Inca trail and I didn't get burned at all. I'm a pasty redhead too so I burn really easily. Just apply liberally and reapply every 2 hours if in direct sunlight. Zinc oxide is definitely the best sunscreen and you want to look for something that has at least 20% of it.

I use zinc oxide sunscreen on my face and/or a sun hat.

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've heard a theory that if you have a high-fat diet, the fat in your bloodstream helps you to generate vitamin D from sunlight more efficiently, and prevents wrinkles. Is fat the reason why primal people tan better?

I've also heard from people who said their freckles got lighter. How does that work?? Some of my face freckles get very dark in the summer and haven't changed yet. I like freckles but I would like them more if they faded a bit!

I have very fair skin and have always needed a high factor lotion so I'm going to ease into this verrrry slowly. I think I will use at least medium factor lotion for now! Will my skin still make vitamin D even with some conventional lotion on?
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 06-02-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast