Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does any natural sunscreen work?! page 2

billp is offline Senior Member
    I have pretty fair skin too, but since I really upped the animals fats etc. I don't get burned any more and am just tanning. AFAIK both vit D and melanin are made from cholesterol, with sunlight a the catalyst. So if you have enough of the dietary raw ingredients you shouldn't burn. That matches my experience.

See Cholesterol and sunshine thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread54637.html

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I would much rather wear protective clothing than smear chemicals made in labs that interfere with the functioning of my pores and sweat glands. But for those times I do need sunscreen, I just use the real stuff. Why mess around? Either use something that actually works or put on sleeves and a hat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Sunscreen is bullshit. Just control your exposure - tan wisely.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

elektro is offline Member
    I live in FL, so I get a ton of sun exposure every day just walking around, I don't sun bath or anything though. How can I control my sun exposure if I need to be outside a certain amount of time each day just to run errands? Even if I can keep myself from burning, how can I protect myself against the aging effects of the sun on a day to day basis?

Jyoti is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    Sunscreen is bullshit. Just control your exposure - tan wisely.
    This

I live in South Texas, and I've never used sunscreen. I'm fair-skinned, but I tend not to burn easily - it takes a while LOL. But then, I also don't stay outside for hours and hours, unless I'm also moving around. I noticed that I burned a little more when staying in one position for a while, whereas I can be out all day moving around and not burn much at all.

I agree about the Vitamin D levels, too.

Cheers

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Wear a hat, supplement D3 and zinc, eat some carrots..
    Good long sleeves also work, buy some thin fabric clothes, I just love them. Give you all the protection you need without feeling 'heavy'.

I don't know the sun in FL, I do know the sun in Israel and it can get pretty hot here.

Honestly, I dislike rubbing myself with chemicals.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Check out Powder Me SPF by jane iredale.

"Powder-Me SPF can be used on the body, face and scalp for a UVB/UVA SPF 30 protection. It contains titanium dioxide and a natural clay dried in the sun and is completely free of contaminants and atmospheric pollutants."

I've used it. It works.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    Wear a hat, supplement D3 and zinc, eat some carrots..
    Good long sleeves also work, buy some thin fabric clothes, I just love them. Give you all the protection you need without feeling 'heavy'.

I don't know the sun in FL, I do know the sun in Israel and it can get pretty hot here.

Honestly, I dislike rubbing myself with chemicals.
    Ah, carrots, had forgotten about them. Have been eating them deep fried recently as chips - I bought 12lb (5KG) of beef suet recently. Sliced four ways down the middle and they are almost like potatoes. Maybe the carrots is a factor in tanning so easily now.

I never was that keen on sunscreen, but now I am beginning to suspect that rubbing anything on your skin is a bit like eating it. I notice tallow disappears from my hands when I've been cooking.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Badger water-resistant works very well for me. You probably used the white tube Badger, which I made the mistake of getting one time. I burned so bad on Half Dome in Yosemite. Badger in the purple tube works well.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We make our own using zinc oxide and then making a basic lotion. You can also just add it to your favorite natural lotion.

But, yes, you have to put it on your body often -- every 2 hrs. We go sunscreen-free before 10 am and after 3, but do sun screen every 1.5 hours (sooner if we get wet or sweaty) between 10 and 3. So, first application around 9:45, last application around 2-2:30.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast