Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: low-fiber veggies? page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

low-fiber veggies?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm reading Fiber Menace and find myself thinking a lot about my fiber intake. I eat a lot of vegetables, especially broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, green leafies because I like them.

I used to have daily bowel movements, but since increasing meat intake and cutting grains, I only have bowel movements 3 times a week. It's not the frequency that concerns me, but that I sometimes have to strain (sorry if TMI). This straining is new to me. I would consider myself somewhat constipated. I have been trying to figure out how to improve this.

I've started taking kefir daily, but have not noticed any improvement.

Would lowering fiber consumption improve constipation? What vegetables should I eat instead? I don't eat salads or veggies raw (don't like it..)

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    My diet is at lease 60% calories from fat, the fat helps. Are you getting enough daily fats in? This could be a possible issue. Also, make sure you are hydrated.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    My diet is at lease 60% calories from fat, the fat helps. Are you getting enough daily fats in? This could be a possible issue. Also, make sure you are hydrated.

I had an odd tightness in my stomach, a couple of days ago; it reminded me of the tightness I felt when I went through the IBS ordeal I went through (at least, I thought it was IBS, weeks ago). went to get a carne asada plate (since it had guac, meat cooked in lard; and some rice); and later on, my tightness went away. Amazing what fat can do. I swear, I can't eat the foods my parents have at home (except when I see a banana, or sweet potato); they just make me feel worse than the foods I do eat, at my apartment.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I'm reading Fiber Menace and find myself thinking a lot about my fiber intake. I eat a lot of vegetables, especially broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, green leafies because I like them.

I used to have daily bowel movements, but since increasing meat intake and cutting grains, I only have bowel movements 3 times a week. It's not the frequency that concerns me, but that I sometimes have to strain (sorry if TMI). This straining is new to me. I would consider myself somewhat constipated. I have been trying to figure out how to improve this.

I've started taking kefir daily, but have not noticed any improvement.

Would lowering fiber consumption improve constipation? What vegetables should I eat instead? I don't eat salads or veggies raw (don't like it..)

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!
    Eat the veggies fermented.

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there's a need to limit non-starchy veggies. I eat tonnes of veggies too. I also eat tonnes of oily fish, free-range eggs, the fattiest cuts of meat, avocados, olive oil on my salads. I used to get constipation frequently but my poops these days so easy to pass that sometimes I'm genuinely surprised to hear a big splash! (tmi sorry)

Plenty of fat at at the same time as anything fibrous will probably help you.

A probiotic with some different strains might be a good supplement to eating fermented stuff. I take a brand called Probio 7 which has 7 different strains in it.
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 06-02-2012 at 01:24 PM.

I abused my gut with All-Bran for a decade. I had built up such a dependency on it that if I skipped a day, it messed me up pretty bad. If I went away for a weekend and didn't bring some with me, well it got pretty miserable by Sunday. Once I went primal, it was pretty rough at the beginning but after about 3-4 weeks the trains started running again on a regular schedule. It takes a while to adjust, just give it time.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I've had IBS for 6+ years, off and on. It got significantly worse when I eliminated grains and started eating tons of fruit and veggies, which was really frustrating, because it seemed the healthier I ate, the more upset my digestive system got. Constipation was my main issue, with occasional abdominal sweeling/pain. Fiber Menace saved my life! (I'm not 100% yet, but I am definitely healing. I'm following his recommendation to keep fiber 10-15g/day or less. I also ordered the Hydro C and the GI Recovery supplements from the gutsense website. I really didn't want to spend more money on supplements, since they seem to never do anything, but this was the best money I ever spent. The Hydro C is basically just a gentle form of vitamin C that promotes bowel movements without irritating your stomach or giving you bloating or cramping. After tryiing just about every OTC laxative and old wives tale end ending up with more pain and misery or no results, the Hydro C was a godsend.

As for vegetables/fruits, I generally am now eating everything peeled and without the seeds (which goes a LONG way to reducing fiber). On my 'green light' list are cucumbers, lettuce, peppers, carrots, white/sweet potatoes, zucchini (all squashes). For fruit, I'm eating melon (cantaloupe and watermelon especially), grapes, with the other stuff in moderation.

I had been eating avocadoes until I saw that each avocado had about 10-12 grams of fiber EACH! Holy moly, that was a sad shocker.

Also a good, potent probiotic is a must. I also try to drink/eat as much fermented stuff as I can, and I avoid anything with thickeners like pectin, guar gum, etc... bc those contribute to fiber count.

Supposedly cooking can break down some fiber, in addition to making food more digestible, so I make sure everything is cooked, except for the occasinal small salad or fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I've had IBS for 6+ years, off and on. It got significantly worse when I eliminated grains and started eating tons of fruit and veggies, which was really frustrating, because it seemed the healthier I ate, the more upset my digestive system got. Constipation was my main issue, with occasional abdominal sweeling/pain. Fiber Menace saved my life! (I'm not 100% yet, but I am definitely healing. I'm following his recommendation to keep fiber 10-15g/day or less. I also ordered the Hydro C and the GI Recovery supplements from the gutsense website. I really didn't want to spend more money on supplements, since they seem to never do anything, but this was the best money I ever spent. The Hydro C is basically just a gentle form of vitamin C that promotes bowel movements without irritating your stomach or giving you bloating or cramping. After tryiing just about every OTC laxative and old wives tale end ending up with more pain and misery or no results, the Hydro C was a godsend.

As for vegetables/fruits, I generally am now eating everything peeled and without the seeds (which goes a LONG way to reducing fiber). On my 'green light' list are cucumbers, lettuce, peppers, carrots, white/sweet potatoes, zucchini (all squashes). For fruit, I'm eating melon (cantaloupe and watermelon especially), grapes, with the other stuff in moderation.

I had been eating avocadoes until I saw that each avocado had about 10-12 grams of fiber EACH! Holy moly, that was a sad shocker.

Also a good, potent probiotic is a must. I also try to drink/eat as much fermented stuff as I can, and I avoid anything with thickeners like pectin, guar gum, etc... bc those contribute to fiber count.

Supposedly cooking can break down some fiber, in addition to making food more digestible, so I make sure everything is cooked, except for the occasinal small salad or fruit.
    Thanks, for this.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you are getting enough good fat - I like coconut oil if I'm lacking.

If it's still a problem, try upping your magnesium a bit. Don't go too fast or you'll end up with the opposite problem, but it's something that's hard to get enough of in your diet for most people. Plus it helps your brain health too. Win/win.

Oh, and Gutsense helped me tremendously too. Good stuff.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Make sure you are getting enough good fat - I like coconut oil if I'm lacking.

If it's still a problem, try upping your magnesium a bit. Don't go too fast or you'll end up with the opposite problem, but it's something that's hard to get enough of in your diet for most people. Plus it helps your brain health too. Win/win.

Oh, and Gutsense helped me tremendously too. Good stuff.
    Suggesting fat, STILL, sends people's heads into a tailspin....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast