Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: low-fiber veggies? page 4

Alykat is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    :-) I renamed ya :-)

Those articles rock! Yup, I was a raw vegan ( vegan 20+ yrs, raw 7) irregular cycles to no cycles. Very thin too at times.
    I still prefer meats uncooked, digest like baby food that way. I just wish steamed/cooked veggies didn't put me to sleep, yet raw can put the tummy in distress if eaten too much.
    Thanks so much for those articles! So relieved to be out of the "only all raw food" dogma.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    It's been months since I've posted this, and still I have problems with fibrous veggies despite implementing the suggestions above. I drink bone broth almost everyday, fermented foods few times a week, magnesium supplement 1000mg daily, and at least 50% of calories from fat. Still, I get really bloated and gassy with veggies (all cooked). On days I eat very little veggies, no gas nor bloat. I thought that it's healthier to eat a larger volume of food in vegetables, but it's not working for me. I can eat a lot of meat though. I just want to make sure I'm not deficient in nutrients.

Chanda is offline Member
    Do you eat meat with your veggies? I notice that when I eat meat and veggies together, I have terrible stomach pains. But, when I eat meat (or protein) on its own, and veggies on their own, I don't seem to have problems. For example, I can have a few pieces of celery smothered with almond butter with no problems at all, but if I eat steak with brussel sprouts or broccoli, or meat with a mix of veggies like stir-fry, my stomach really hurts and it almost seems like the pain goes right up into my kidneys. I thought that I had an intolerance to lamb meat, but it may have been the vegetables that I ate with the lamb. And, I don't have any problems with fruits eaten on their own.

Alykat is offline Member
    Girlhr-
    I bet there are various reason that cause this for you, as I have found for myself too. For intense an email I just opened was speaking of Splenda and how it causes more problems than we would like due to chlorine (think swimming pool chemical) that has been shown kills our gut bacteria! So many culprits to weak digestion.

What I did was rather than trying to find all my "why's" I did what I know worked well for me (my bodies system) In the past. It was sticking with food combining, not over eating, nothing fake (condiments etc...) and food proportions of food groups, also my biggest difference comes from eating really really simple. Thats what works for me.
    Before I share an average day I have to share two things -
    Eating protein based foods have proved to cause bloat with the veg. For me.
    For instance I just could not eat fibrous veg. When I ate meats unless it was nonsweet fruits like cucumber or zucchini.... With meat.
    Leads me to number two- I eat a lot more fruit than meats. meats are rarely on my menu if I want to stay bathroom regular and slim.
    I'm not anti meats but personally whole fruits work wonders for me and lower fiber veggies.
    What i did was looked up low fiber veg. and stuck to those. When I eat higher fiber veg I vitamix it into a soup.

Breakfast - usually a green smoothie
    Snack - piece of fruit
    Lunch- fruit with greens (either celery, tender lettuce, zucchini, cucumber ....) I usually just do 2-3 ingredients.
    Some days i mono meal breakfast and lunch ( that works best)
    Sometimes I'll do a soup instead for lunch.
    Dinner - if I have meats it's either fish, egg yolks, or red meat (2-4 oz)
    Along with low fiber veg salad.
    Or I will blend my veggies into a smooth soup.
    I don't use animal foods everyday and it works best for me on every level.

I find simple foods and not all in one meal keeps belly flat, body slim,energy super high, mood happy and feeling good.

I really hope that helps some. This really is my perfect day, I don't always get these food options when im at someones house etc...
    But When I don't eat simple- my body is not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    It's been months since I've posted this, and still I have problems with fibrous veggies despite implementing the suggestions above. I drink bone broth almost everyday, fermented foods few times a week, magnesium supplement 1000mg daily, and at least 50% of calories from fat. Still, I get really bloated and gassy with veggies (all cooked). On days I eat very little veggies, no gas nor bloat. I thought that it's healthier to eat a larger volume of food in vegetables, but it's not working for me. I can eat a lot of meat though. I just want to make sure I'm not deficient in nutrients.

Alykat is offline Member
    One more thing - if you are concerned about eating veg and missing vitamin minerals -JUICE them :-)
    I juice mine almost daily for my first drink of the day followed by green smoothie later or several pieces of fruit for my first meal. Juicing those veggies really really helps!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Juicing vegetables is generally inferior to eating them. But given the fact that you can't consume vegetable fiber, it's definitely worth a try.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Hi girlhk. I've been on PB 4.5 months now. Here's my tested results:
    1. The tendency or desire to vomit was gone in 2 days. (GERD)
    2. The heavy gastric production of mucus which caused drooling in sleep was gone in 1 week
    3. The IBS gas and water bloating was 90% gone in 2 weeks. (IBS)
    4. At 3 weeks I began taking Milk of Magnesia every other day instead of every day.
    5. At 4 weeks the ability to control urine outflow returned (I'd been afraid I'd have to wear diapers.)
    6. After 5 weeks my completely dead bowel began working again. Peristalsis returned.
    7. At 6 weeks I began taking Vits. D3 and C and Magnesium Citrate (800 mg).
    8. At 7 weeks I bought Mark's Damage Control Package (vitamins and minerals). I'd already been taking prebiotics and probiotics, etc.

At 2.5 months my stools are softer now but Iím still constipated. But some IBS remains at the best of days, and on the worst, after 2-3 days of no Milk of Magnesia (MOM) is really bad and painful. Also the process of moving water from my stomach to my bladder is very slow, about 8 hours. So although I was trying to extend the time inbetween MOM, as soon as I was constipated (any straining at all needed), I'd take MOM that evening.

At 3 months I started reading Fiber Menace and added Potassium. At 4 months I was down to MOM every 4-5 days and had finished reading Fiber Menace. That is a fantastic book that everyone here should read. During this month I was experiementing with how much Potassium I needed, cutting capsules or tablets in half. At 4.5 months I declared complete success. No more MOM needed. (Also I've become one of those nuts who examine their stools daily to see how things are going. Sure never thought I'd do that.)

The "sensitivities" listed above are not considered serious by Doctors. Not until they become "diseases". So that is the next catagory I have to deal with. I've been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and Diverticularosis. (These ultimately lead to colon cancer. One simple thing just keeps producing the next.) I have an appointment for a colonoscopy in early April. I'll let everyone know how it comes out. But when I saw the G.I. Doctor recently he looked at my other tests and said "you seem to have had a "spontaneous remission". Spontaneous my foot. But I just smiled. We don't really know yet. I think he was looking at the C-Reactive Protein test, a test of overall inflamation. Inflamation of the mucusi of the stomach and intestines is what initially causes all these problems (that ultimately lead to cancer).

What I've done. Pretty much 100% PB and taking Mark's professional grade Damage Control, Omega-3's, Probiotics; added magnesium and Potassium, used iodized salt, iron because I'm anemic. I think a professional grade multi-vitamine, -mineral, -anti-oxident is really necessary. The OTC types just won't cut it. I aim for 65-70% fats, 25% protein, 10% carbs daily and no nightshades because I have arthritis.

Inbetween I've tried a lot of other things that I then have to devote time to recovering from and which don't work. All this N=1 experimenting to find out what my body wants is quite a learning experience.

I a committed believer in PB.

Quote Originally Posted by Alykat View Post

Breakfast - usually a green smoothie
    Snack - piece of fruit
    Lunch- fruit with greens (either celery, tender lettuce, zucchini, cucumber ....) I usually just do 2-3 ingredients.
    Some days i mono meal breakfast and lunch ( that works best)
    Sometimes I'll do a soup instead for lunch.
    Dinner - if I have meats it's either fish, egg yolks, or red meat (2-4 oz)
    Along with low fiber veg salad.
    Or I will blend my veggies into a smooth soup.
    I don't use animal foods everyday and it works best for me on every level.

I find simple foods and not all in one meal keeps belly flat, body slim,energy super high, mood happy and feeling good.

I really hope that helps some. This really is my perfect day, I don't always get these food options when im at someones house etc...
    But When I don't eat simple- my body is not happy.

Hi Alykat,

How many calories do you get daily?

I'm 5'4", around 110 lbs, nursing a 20-month-old, and consume around 2000-2500 calories daily (based on the few times I've tracked exact intake). A lot of meats and organ meats, both of which I greatly prefer over fish (I wonder why this is so).

I agree with you about eating simple food. These days, I really don't like to eat in others' houses or at restaurants anymore.

Hi Cryptocode,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

What led me to examine my diet was a diagnosis of PCOS and infertility at 25. In hindsight I'd always had digestion issues, especially gas, bloat, abdominal pain, but not bad enough to see a doctor.

Fiber Menace was quite an eye-opener for me, having believed for most of my life that fiber was necessary for good health. I'm prone to constipation, and this led to hemorrhoids after having a baby. So now I am forced to find a solution.

So far, magnesium is helping. 1000-1500mg daily keeps me from having to strain. But I still get constipated.

Now I plan to replace the fibrous veggies with other foods. But I am not sure what those foods should be.

I hardly eat fruits because I don't enjoy them. Where I live now, almost all fruits are imported, and I find they taste rather bland.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wish I knew. I've had IBS-C for years.
    One thing's for sure, a high whole grain diet didn't do a thing to help. As a matter of fact, even years before ever hearing the world "Paleo" I thought to myself that the bran cereal I was eating almost seemed to make it worse, so there might be something to the ideas in that book (only read the summary).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast