Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Male Issues: Low Libido...BUT! Having (Sorry for being frank) Wet Dreams? page 5

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post
    I'd be careful with the iodine. Grizz seems to say iodine will cure anything. I'm not saying that he's wrong (i don't know!), just that he seems over eager to blame everything on iodine. As I recall there are also more thyroid issues in japan where they consume more iodine...

I'd try getting a couple of sweet potatoes and see if adding more carbs does anything. My libido gets destroyed on low carb. Seeing this pattern repeat over multiple cheat days clued me in.

If you aren't out in the sun much, I'd also get a doctor to check out your vitamin D levels. You could try just supplementing, but I think it's always safer to have some baselines to know if you're even deficient in the first place.

High cortisol is from stress. Meditation, ignoring all spiritual woo woo or whatever, is a good relaxer. You might want to try that as well. Slowing down, trying not to multi task and over stimulate your brain, all helps with relaxing.
    I understand what you're saying; Iodine can be extremely dangerous in high amounts, especially to a balanced thyroid. I have read that glucose deficiency, aka too low of carbs and/or fat, can mimic and/or contribute to low thyroid output symptoms. I have been thinking about adding carbs back in, but I'm trying to increase my caloric and fat consumption before I add in carbs. I just notice I have better digestion when leaving them out, which may be because I've excluded them for so long.

As for Vit D...I lay out almost everyday I can to get sun. The time I lay out ranges from 30 mins to 2 hours..I think I am fine on D. However, I think I was suffering from Vit A toxicity, so maybe i'm rebuilding my D levels from too much Vit A intake? I had the symptoms of: peeling skin, angular chelitis, jaundice, liver pain, bleeding gums, headaches, irritability, cracking heals, hair loss, etc...I was taking around 20,000+ A a day from Cod Liver and extra supplementation.

I don't have a stressful life at the moment, at least I don't think I do..I just graduated from college and am looking for a job. I'm a bit nervous about finding a job, but not life altering stress. I think my cortisol was high due to an infection I was fighting at the time, when I initially started my detox protocol (as you detox, you will inevitability become less resistant and/or more susceptible to infections...primarily because toxins feed them and/or your body creates them to mitigate the toxic load, or so I've read).

Conclusion: I'll maintain my iodine dosage for a bit and up my fat and caloric intake before I add in carbs, due to my suspicion of a inefficient metabolism and/or candida infection.

On a side Note: I've been feeling much much better lately, just with falling asleep, energy, maintaining focus, my cold intolerance, skin clearness, gaining weight (from 123-127), and feeling more relaxed. However, I should point out I increased my calcium uptake, began taking selenium, making an effort to eat more offal, and increasing overall food consumption. Sp, could be any of these, but I believe it is either the iodine or selenium, or both.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks JoeyA!

o6450rider is offline Junior Member
    Not sure if it'll help your situation but I noticed a drop in libido. When I looked into it I had slightly elevated level of cortisol which is related to stress response in the body. My doctor had me try and take one 500mg pill of L-Lysine supplement once a day with a meal. I never felt like I had anxiety or was stressed out, nor did I feel like I had issues with seritonin levels. After about a week of taking this I noticed my libido was coming back and I felt a lot more at ease. Come to find out I was so used to having slightly elevated levels of stress and anxiety I didn't really notice it. Now I feel great everyday and my wife is loving every minute of my greatly effected ( in a good way) libido. Like I said, I don't know if this would help you or not but it did wonders for me.
    Life passes up fast, remember the past but embrace the present like there's no tomorrow.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    To answer someone's question from earlier, Quelson had mentioned CT and it stands for Cold Thermogenesis. Essentially it is a practice of taking cold showers or baths. When you shower at any tempature lower than body tempature, you activate your BAT or Brown Adipose Tissue. We are born with it, babies use it to stay warm, and as we are able to keep active physically, our body's composition loses it. By swimming or bathing in cold water, some people, Quelson included, go as low as 32 degrees, our body will regenerate it. BAT employs NST Non-Shivering Thermogenesis to produce heat and the process does use a certain number of calories in the process, and like exercise the benefits outlast the calorie burn and the bath/shower. In addition to burning calories, people report better sleep, better skin tone, better muscle pain management/ recovery, and more.

Follow the benefits in these tow threads: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread50560.html ; http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread56730.html . The first has many good guidelines for starting CT and the second is the current thread that disallows debate on two proponents, Jack Kruse and Ray Cronise who both blog on it and have discussion threads.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Quote Originally Posted by o6450rider View Post
    Not sure if it'll help your situation but I noticed a drop in libido. When I looked into it I had slightly elevated level of cortisol which is related to stress response in the body. My doctor had me try and take one 500mg pill of L-Lysine supplement once a day with a meal. I never felt like I had anxiety or was stressed out, nor did I feel like I had issues with seritonin levels. After about a week of taking this I noticed my libido was coming back and I felt a lot more at ease. Come to find out I was so used to having slightly elevated levels of stress and anxiety I didn't really notice it. Now I feel great everyday and my wife is loving every minute of my greatly effected ( in a good way) libido. Like I said, I don't know if this would help you or not but it did wonders for me.
    Wow! You have no idea how long I have considered this to be an issue with me. At age 18 (23 atm), I encountered anxiety/depression for the first time in my life, which was also when I had it the worst. I had it for about 3 months before it started to get better, on its own. It has definitely improved or feels like it's almost gone since going anti-candida/primal for quite sometime...However, I still have a hard time laughing and enjoying certain activities like I did before.

So, I think that I'm either so used to feeling stress that I don't know if I am or not, which seems to me like you understand. I'll definitely consider trowing that "amino acid?" into my regimen, if I can't find a whole food to replace it with. How does L-Lysine help with libido?? I did notice after taking percocet yesterday (burnt my hand 2 days ago on 400 degree skillet) I felt great! Felt happy and calm and much more motivated, so maybe I still have some anxiety left? (I sound like an addict now, haha).

Anyways, I'll definitely look into this. Thank you very much Rider.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I just checked for dietary sources of L-Lysine and it seems like paleo/primal folks *should* be getting enough of it on their own: Good sources of lysine are foods rich in protein such as soy, as well as meat (specifically red meat, lamb, pork, and poultry), cheese (particularly Parmesan), certain fish (such as cod and sardines), and eggs.

However, since several sources of it appear to be grains and grain-type foods, maybe we could have the occasional deficiency. Especially since daily requirements don't seem to be set in stone.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post
    I'd be careful with the iodine. Grizz seems to say iodine will cure anything. I'm not saying that he's wrong (i don't know!), just that he seems over eager to blame everything on iodine. As I recall there are also more thyroid issues in japan where they consume more iodine...

I'd try getting a couple of sweet potatoes and see if adding more carbs does anything. My libido gets destroyed on low carb. Seeing this pattern repeat over multiple cheat days clued me in.

If you aren't out in the sun much, I'd also get a doctor to check out your vitamin D levels. You could try just supplementing, but I think it's always safer to have some baselines to know if you're even deficient in the first place.

High cortisol is from stress. Meditation, ignoring all spiritual woo woo or whatever, is a good relaxer. You might want to try that as well. Slowing down, trying not to multi task and over stimulate your brain, all helps with relaxing.
    You are dead wrong. Iodine supplements only treats issues of Iodine Deficient organs. The organs that require the most iodine are:
    * Women's Breasts - Breasts require more iodine than any other organ, deficiency causes fibrocystic breasts
    * Ovaries - Ovaries swell with cysts, iodine deficiency called PCOS
    * Thyroid - requires iodine, deficiency causes Hypothyroid or swollen thyroid called goiter
    * Uterus - requires iodine, deficiency called Uterus Cysts or Endo
    * Prostate - requires iodine, deficiency called swollen prostate or BPH.
    * Brain - requires iodine or deficiency is called Brain Fog or Depression

Iodine deficiency is a major problem in the USA, and if you are not eating seaweed, sea fish or taking iodine supplements then consider yourself to be iodine deficient. There is zero iodine in burgers, fries & pizza. Yet every cell in the body requires iodine to be healthy.
    http://www.oasisadvancedwellness.com/learning/iodine-deficiency-und`er-recognized-epidemic.html
    http://www.life-enthusiast.com/index...ersal_Medicine

Grizz

Last edited by Grizz; 06-13-2012 at 03:08 PM.

mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Iodine deficiency is a major problem in the USA, and if you are not eating seaweed, sea fish or taking iodine supplements then consider yourself to be iodine deficient. There is zero iodine in burgers, fries & pizza. Yet every cell in the body requires iodine to be healthy.
    Ok, I'll bite. Where were the thousands of generations of our ancestors who lived on the central African plains getting their hands on seaweed or sea fish? Or were they buying a range of specific supplements off Amazon and rubbing them on their balls?
    Last edited by mdlaw; 06-13-2012 at 05:58 PM.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlaw View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. Where were the thousands of generations of our ancestors who lived on the central African plains getting their hands on seaweed or sea fish? ?
    Basic answers are that 1) there used to be a lot of iodine in the soils, so Grok ate plants with iodine and animals which ate grass with iodine 2) Grok didn't need as much iodine because his iodine wasn't driven out by decades of flouridated water and brominated flour. Yes, it sounds like internet quackery, but is it? I don't know.

As for low libido, I have that too, but I think it's mental. No easy cures for that.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlaw View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. Where were the thousands of generations of our ancestors who lived on the central African plains getting their hands on seaweed or sea fish? Or were they buying a range of specific supplements off Amazon and rubbing them on their balls?
    I'm happy that you bit. Grok didn't suffer from Halogen Chemicals that invaded every cell in our body to displace iodine. The reason why 90% of America is so iodine deficient is that Halogen Toxins have displaced what little iodine we get - the toxins are Bromide in food, Fluoride in water & toothpaste and chlorine in water, drugs & other products.
    Explained here:
    Iodine deficiencies & dosages

and here:
    Bromide is an insidious, additive used in many common products, and as a
    pesticide. Because of the sheer amount of bromide-supplemented products,
    exposure to this man-made additive has caused a depletion of iodine in human
    populations. Studies in lab animals provide alarming evidence that even small
    amounts of bromide exposure can be toxic. (1)
    The rest of the article:
    Bromides?? In bread? - The Iodine Project
    Bottom line: Be skeptical at your own peril. All of this is REAL and 80% of American women are into various stages of Fibrocyctic Breast Disease, from microscopic to painful, swollen & pre-cancerous caused by iodine deficiency.

Iodine References:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-14-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allen001 View Post
    You have a low libido, and i think you still think a lot about sex. I think this may be reason behind your wet dreams besides you have low libido.
    I rarely think about sex....I just think about why I've not been thinking about it as much as I used to for the past 5 years.

But, I am due for an update. I stopped taking the iodine and selenium. I never noticed any bad effects on the iodine. In fact I felt better, but not substantially better. I did gain some much needed weight and I barely get fatigued throughout the day. I did not notice an increase in libido. I just started supplementing with Optizinc - Now Foods - that has 200% RDA zinc and 15% RDA copper. Whenever I take this it immediately helps with my breathing and I usually feel better.

I find it weird that this would help me like it does because I eat soooo much meat...But, maybe the other supplements or foods I eat reduce the absorption of zinc? Or I do not eat grass-fed meat which contains normal levels of zinc compared to conventional. I am now supplementing with Lysine, quercetin + Bromelain, Fish Oil, Calcium & Magnesium & Zinc. I just now got K2 in the mail. I'm trying to up my fat a bit more and include fruits + sweet potatoes in my diet. I'll keep everyone updated.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast