Thread: adjusting to night shifts and still trying to stay primal page

Kiwi-grok is offline Junior Member

adjusting to night shifts and still trying to stay primal

Primal Fuel
    Ive just starting a job where I work 3pm - 3am and its totally messing with my body clock! I hate having to sleep during the day. Especially when its a great day outside, I need to get some black drapes I think. I have gotten used to sleeping where its really dark and quiet, so wish I could have more right now, I feel like such a waste of space being so tired. Any advice on how to adjust to night working? I still wanna have energy when I get up to do something!! I'm on my feet moving constantly for those 12hrs so I guess that better than sitting at a desk all day.

JusticeMonkey is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi-grok View Post
    Ive just starting a job where I work 3pm - 3am and its totally messing with my body clock! I hate having to sleep during the day. Especially when its a great day outside, I need to get some black drapes I think. I have gotten used to sleeping where its really dark and quiet, so wish I could have more right now, I feel like such a waste of space being so tired. Any advice on how to adjust to night working? I still wanna have energy when I get up to do something!! I'm on my feet moving constantly for those 12hrs so I guess that better than sitting at a desk all day.
    I've heard others say this, and have experienced it myself as well. Basically: you need to reset your body clock.

This isn't a fun process. Basically, you have to completely exhaust yourself: you need to miss a night's (day's) sleep outright. Don't go to bed, stay up. You'll suffer fatigue but you need to stick it out. Do something to elevate your circulation (say, go for a vigorous walk) when you feel the most tired: this is probably/normally around 4 or 5 AM in my experience, and is usually accompanied by being coldness in the shoulders (for me).

You'll need to stay up until about 10 or so hours before you would need to get up for work; you'll need about 3 REM cycles, so figure out however long that'll be.

Primalwombat is offline Member
    Tell me about it... I'm a nurse, so I work nights every now and again, and I can't even "get used to it", and once I DO get used to it, my roster changes, and suddenly I have to get used to a different rhythm again....

The best I can advice is to get to bed as soon as you get home after shift (say, 4 am), then (try to) sleep till 11-ish (7 hours), get up, do shit to be ready to go to work at 3pm again. Try to adjust your eating to occur within this rhythm... Breakfast at 11:30, lunch at 17:00 and dinner at 2:00 am (or whatever). I think getting used to it is the key, and then you can have sustainable habits.

Unfortunately night work will screw up your circadian clock no matter what, and not much you can do about it :-(

Good luck with it,
    Markus

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    I have black-out curtains (doubled up) and no light sources in my room (even my alarm clock is covered up) but still have issues sleeping since it's light out when I leave work. Magnesium supplimentation has helped me greatly, though, so I definitely recommend that. Also, be sure to get as much sunlight as you can after you wake up to get you going for the day.

I have had very little caffeine in the last 5 months, which makes working the night shift even more difficult. On that note, though, be sure to avoid decaf green or black tea, as it has a relaxing effect and may make you more tired.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

Kiwi-grok is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks justicemonkey for your advice. Its only for 6months then I'm off to study a degree in sports and rec. Primalwombat I feel for you! At least I am on the same hours, only casual though so I get used to the hours and sleep adjusted until I have 4 or more days off and then I go backwards again! I am lucky if I can sleep til 10! And I seem to be eating more lol