Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anorexia Realis page 3

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    This episode of anorexia is the only time I have ever counted calories. I have been seriously underweight before and never had a clue about calories. I deliberately avoided them to avoid the obsession with them (which I got recently). I just didn't eat much and skipped as many meals as I could. This timethe calorie counting was one of the worst parts of it. The obsession ( I hesitate with autism...not quite right for me) was consuming and as with autism i suppose the outcome/reward (to normal people?) didn't match the effort put in. But for me it felt like the most impotant thing in my day.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    According to the National Eating Disorders Association, "nearly 10 million females and 1 million males in the U.S. are battling eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia, while millions more suffer from binge eating disorder. The peak onset of eating disorders occurs during puberty and the late teen/early adult years, but symptoms can occur as young as kindergarten. More than one in three normal dieters progresses to pathological dieting."

Kindergarten.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Years ago I worked with a guy who had schizophrenia. He would tell me about staring into the mirror and the strange things he would see. It was like when he looked into the mirror, it was not himself starting back, as there really was no self anymore, just shattered images. He'd sometimes see evil looking back or disgust. He never saw a person. He did not believe he was a person. He did not feel whole. So when he looked at himself he did not see anything resembling reality. His sister was in the hospital for anorexia and it worried him. She was probably going to die. I somehow saw these two diseases as having a link of some sort. When anorexics look in the mirror they don't see the truth looking back, either. I'm not a doctor or anything so I can't say, but there is some sort of link. Anorexia is a true mental illness.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Anorexia is a true mental illness.
    It is. All eating disorders are. Anorexia is the most deadly of all mental illnesses. (That's as per the National Eating Disorders Association.)

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    It is. All eating disorders are. Anorexia is the most deadly of all mental illnesses. (That's as per the National Eating Disorders Association.)
    It is it is it is. Food is jsut the vehichle and medium of the disease's manifestation. It isn't about food. Food is the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    It is it is it is. Food is jsut the vehichle and medium of the disease's manifestation. It isn't about food. Food is the tool.
    +1

Exactly! This is one of the best ways I've ever heard EDs described.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123