Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend lifts for skinny fat that don't involve equipment? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Can anyone recommend lifts for skinny fat that don't involve equipment?

Hey everyone,

I'm a Yoga instructor, but other than that I'm very new to the exercise thing. I'm quite slim and toned around the majority of my body - but have some skinny fat that won't budge. I've started doing the high intensity cardio (skipping) but I've been reading that to get rid of skinny fat and not drop weight you need to do heavy lifting.

Can anyone recommend heavy lifts I can do without equipment? It is possibly to just lift using my own body weight? I don't want to go to a gym.

I specifically want to target skinny fat on my belly, hips, and backs of thighs... the rest of me is ok!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Somewhere I saw a really good video about doing pullups. I can't do any pullups but this guy showed ways to build up to them. He made a convincing argument that pullups are almost (note the qualifier word almost) the only body weight exercise you need to do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    (note the qualifier word almost)
    lol. Find it hard to imagine pull ups would tone my butt...! But then again, what do I know - I once thought being veggie was healthy Will try to find a bar somewhere I can use...

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    First, you can't spot reduce areas, you just need to lose fat / preserve-build lean mass i.e. strength train.
    Just off the top of my head:
    Pull ups, Push ups, Box jumps (use your stairs), Burpees, Pike Press, Lunges, Bulgarian Split Squats, Pistol Squats (may take some time )
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 06-01-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Lots of good body body weight programs out there. Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Own Gym, Primarl Blueprint Fitness, etc
    Check out Al Kavadlo's site for some other good ideas.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Jumping exercises are the best fat burners ( principles of HIIT). Burpees pound for pound are the best at torching fat everywhere.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Here it is. You'll be surprised by this. Well, I was pretty surprised. Pull-ups really do a lot.
    The Importance of Pull-up Bar Training | Mark's Daily Apple
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Definitely check out Al Kavadlo's books, or Convict Conditioning, or SimpleFit, or You are Your own Gym, or Building the Gymnastic Body (that one is more advanced) or even just the Primal Blueprint Fitness E-book. You need to build muscle, and the best way to do that is squats, pushups, and pullups- not just more, but more difficult versions. If you can already do lots of full squats to the ground, then start looking at how to do a one-legged squat. Same thing with pushups.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    First, you can't spot reduce areas, you just need to lose fat / preserve-build lean mass i.e. strength train.
    Bears repeating. YOU CAN'T SPOT-REDUCE FAT. Okthanxbai.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agree with the bodyweight advice. And you can also get yourself a sandbag (any old duffel/holdall filled with sand) and follow some of the workouts on Sandbag Fitness:

Sandbag Fitness

It's also entirely possible to following any of the standard strength training protocols with a sandbag. Wendler, Starting Strength etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast