Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Paleo May 2012 - Journal page

jllundqu is offline Member

Starting Paleo May 2012 - Journal

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

James, 32m, in law enforcement.

I am 3.5 weeks into paleo diet/fitness. I started May 7, 2012 and weighed in at 187.8 pounds. The heaviest I have ever been. I am tall (5'11") and generally thin most of my life. My ideal weight is 170 lean lbs. After 3 weeks, I have lost 10 pounds! I was really low on carbs and working out a lot, so the weight fell off, but my eyes were constantly dry and red, my energy was low and my recovery was long, so I added a small portion of sweet potato to my lunch and feel like I could run a marathon after an intense workout.

A typical day for me food-wise:

Breakfast - Paleo Smoothie:
    1/3 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
    Banana
    A few bluberries and a couple frozen strawberries
    1 raw egg

Lunch - Kipper Snacks! (60% fat / 40% Protein)
    1/2 cup baked sweet potato cubes
    1/2 cup broccoli
    2 small low-sodium V8 Veg Juice Cans

Dinner - Roast!
    My wife makes me a grass-fed roast from whole foods that lasts me the week for dinner. Slow cooked with carrots, tomatoes, onions, broth, etc.

I did some quick calculations and estimate this current meal schedule is about 75-90 grams of carbs per day, which would put me in the weight-loss zone. When I get to my goal weight, I will adjust accordingly.

A typical workout week for me: PBF!

2 days of LHT - Bodyweight exercises, 2 cycles of Pushups, Pullups, Squats, Military Press, and Planks
    3 days of MS - Walking, Elliptical, Hiking, Biking
    1 day of Sprints - I alternate 6 x 50 yard sprints and Bas Rutten Boxing CD (12 x 2min max effort rounds heavy bag work with 1 min rest between rounds)

That's it! I will update often and start posting pics of my progress. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions from my fellow paleo Groks and Grokettes is most welcome!
    Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
    CW- 179.8 lbs
    Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

TStreich is offline Junior Member
    Wow great start!!! My husband and I also started in May. Loving it! Look forward to hearing about your journey. I myself have hit a plateau and I think what I need to do is look at what we ate when we first started paleo. Sweet Potatoes is something we definitely need to add back in.
    Theresa

SW 155 CW 148 GW 135-140

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Welcome James!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Today marks exactly 4 weeks from when I started. I will weigh in later today after my LHT workout, but I am very happy to say I feel great and I am very thankful I found a simple, healthy way to live that does not involve counting calories or running like a gerbil on a treadmill for hours at a time.

Thanks Mark and everyone here at the apple!

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

Dropped another couple pounds last week. I am down 12.8 pounds total since May 7! I also had an INTENSE LHT workout yesterday. I hit my goal for each essential movement, for both cycles. If I can do that a few more times in the next week or so, I will progress to the next level of difficulty and start from there.

Weight = Down
    Strength = UP

Must be doing something right!

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

~ Abraham Lincoln

I can not beleive how fast the weight comes off! I was a little pudgy at 187.8 lbs when I started but I am shocked that I am steadily losing 2-3 lbs per weeks with paleo eating and PBF! I'm at 172 now and my physique is looking much better. I was going to stop the weight loss at 170, but now I know that would be next week and I still have work to do! My chest and stomach are still a little jiggly for my taste. I guess I need to reduce my BF%. I did recently start IFing, so I hope that helps. I am still doing my PBF workouts (2 X LHT, 3 X Move Slowly, and 1 Sprint Day per week).

Should I just keep doing what I'm doing to drop BF% and tighten up my chest/stomach? Should I change something?

What are your thoughts?

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

~ Abraham Lincoln

Hit a small snag with the plan. We are so tight with money right now that we literally have to eat what we have in the house and can't afford more meat until next month. This leaves me now choice but to eat some grains/beans/pasta etc. I've managed to keep breakfast and lunch 100% paleo, but dinner is whatever the Mrs. cooks which is your typical CW meal...

I'm expecting to see my weight loss plateau, but with my continued workouts, my physical appearance and strength should steadily increase. Hopefully next month, I can get back to 100% paleo and continue my progress toward a lean/cut 165lbs

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

~ Abraham Lincoln

My weight has stayed steady at 171 for a couple weeks, but my strength training and cardio are really picking up! I can now knock out 10 pullups non-stop! I've never been able to to 10! I am OK with my current lbs but I am a little "squishy" in the belly/chest area still so I will keep working on the fitness side of things and hopefully the next few months will yeild the results I am looking for...

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

~ Abraham Lincoln

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Hit a small snag with the plan. We are so tight with money right now that we literally have to eat what we have in the house and can't afford more meat until next month. This leaves me now choice but to eat some grains/beans/pasta etc. I've managed to keep breakfast and lunch 100% paleo, but dinner is whatever the Mrs. cooks which is your typical CW meal...

I'm expecting to see my weight loss plateau, but with my continued workouts, my physical appearance and strength should steadily increase. Hopefully next month, I can get back to 100% paleo and continue my progress toward a lean/cut 165lbs
    It's been a month since you posted this, how are things going with your primal eating? And how's the wife responding to your primal endeavors? Well I hope.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Quote Originally Posted by DashFire View Post
    It's been a month since you posted this, how are things going with your primal eating? And how's the wife responding to your primal endeavors? Well I hope.
    We have found our balance. 100% paleo for breakfast/lunch and dinner might have a small portion of pasta, rice, or grains. My weight is stable and my fitness is still greatly improving, so I will stick with the current until I see negative results of maintaining small portions of grains/rice/etc in my dinner meals.

CW- 179.8 lbs

MY PALEO JOURNAL

~ Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast