Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Snacking - what are your views? page 4

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Something that helped my need for snacking was adding coconut milk to my meals. You can make it into a smoothie or drink it straight if it suits your fancy. For awhile, I was drinking about a can a day... half in the morning, half at lunch. On days that I don't drink it, I want a snack. I also had hypoglycemia growing up. That changed after going primal, but it took about 2 months or so before I noticed that I didn't get dizzy or weak if I skipped a meal. Eat when you are hungry, but make sure when you are eating meals that you get enough fat.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've been eating (vegetarian) Primal for a month now, and I still get ravenous between meals. However, I'm also pretty sure I am hypoglycemic (never realised before - but learnt about it since discovering the Primal lifestyle. Have just bought a kit to test myself) and I find gaps of more than 4 hours between meals really affect me (I even wake up at night).

I see that many people who eat Primal don't feel hungry between meals. How long did it take before your hunger began to subside? And is no snacking an ideal of the Primal lifestyle?
    I used to be this way when eating SAD. Started Primal, increased calories to 60% from fat. I can easily go many hours without eating because the high fat, moderate protein and low carbs combination makes me satisfied for several hours at a time. I usually IF from about midnight to mid afternoon the next day without even blinking.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    Something that helped my need for snacking was adding coconut milk to my meals. You can make it into a smoothie or drink it straight if it suits your fancy. For awhile, I was drinking about a can a day... half in the morning, half at lunch. On days that I don't drink it, I want a snack. I also had hypoglycemia growing up. That changed after going primal, but it took about 2 months or so before I noticed that I didn't get dizzy or weak if I skipped a meal. Eat when you are hungry, but make sure when you are eating meals that you get enough fat.
    Thank you so much for your advice I also suffer from terrible hypoglycemia and am having a real struggle trying to not eat between meals at the moment. I really would love to IF as it's one of main reasons Primal appealed to me so much. I figured it would be great if I could stop snacking and thinking about food 24/7. I have noticed that the coconut milk drink with my meal definately does make a difference. It's also good to know how long it took you to not become dizzy and weak when skipping a meal as I keep trying and failing, thinking it's always going to be like this. At least is seems there is a light at the end of the tunnel but 2 months seems like such a long time to have to suffer with it

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TARNIP View Post
    Thank you so much for your advice I also suffer from terrible hypoglycemia and am having a real struggle trying to not eat between meals at the moment. I really would love to IF as it's one of main reasons Primal appealed to me so much. I figured it would be great if I could stop snacking and thinking about food 24/7. I have noticed that the coconut milk drink with my meal definately does make a difference. It's also good to know how long it took you to not become dizzy and weak when skipping a meal as I keep trying and failing, thinking it's always going to be like this. At least is seems there is a light at the end of the tunnel but 2 months seems like such a long time to have to suffer with it
    2 months is a long time, but you don't have to let yourself get weak and dizzy. It takes quite some time for your body to get rid of grains (DR told me like 20 some odd days), and then it has to heal. Basically, you have to retrain your body on what to use for energy. Snack on carrots, cocnut milk smoothies with berries, or a banana when you feel really weak. But the higher your meals are in fat and protein, the better you will eventually feel.

As far as IF, I have found that doing it at night is way better than during the day. Somewhere on MDA it says that women do better with a 14 hour fast than the 16 hour fast that men do better on. So, what I do is finish up any food I want by 7pm. Then, I try to go to bed early (which is primal) and keeps me from snacking, and I eat breakfast at 9am. That's a 14 hour fast each day. Sleep hours count. A note on breakfast, while your blood sugar is balancing, eat when you get hungry... Just don't eat grains. So if you need breakfast at 7 am, don't push yourself to 9 am. I had to work up to not eating breakfast right away... Now, I feel hungry, but I do not feel faint. MDA also recommends not fasting until you have been primal for awhile. More support on how our bodies take time to adjust.

Know how time flies when you are having fun? And the opposite: it crawls by when you are miserable? Don't let primal be miserable. Maybe you'll bounce back before 2 months... You have the rest of your life to work out the kinks. And your blood sugar will stablize in time for the next challenge.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Thank you again for the wonderful information. I am definately going to give your advice a try. I have been 'trying' to fast from about 8pm until 12pm the following day (that way my first meal is lunch as I have difficulties eating savoury type food early in the morning - I was a big cereal eater at breakfast so figured it would be easier to skip it than to eat meat and eggs!) but I end up feeling mentally fuzzy and starving hungry. I will now leave the IF until I have my other issues sorted I think.
    I wanted to skip snacking because I have leptin issues, but I think maybe fixing one problem at a time would make far better sense as clearly my blood sugar issues are going to prevent me from gaining any of the advantages of no snacking at this point. I am going to start having breakfast (I must admit it is hard for me to eat breakfast any later than about 6am as I have a daughter to take to daycare then work etc) I can't relax if I have to shove down breakfast at work. Now to figure out what my stomach can handle eating at 6am.........
    I really appreciate your input and will now feel much better about having the snacks for a while until my body begins to correct itself.
    I try to do primal so 'perfectly' but what I will now concentrate on doing is making it more perfect for me

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    I try to do primal so 'perfectly' but what I will now concentrate on doing is making it more perfect for me
    Perfectly said.

Looking back I think what worked for me was gradual changes. So breakfast gradually moved to later in the day. Snacks started off as fruit/yoghurt/nuts but changed to just nuts, then later were phased out. Pudding started off dark chocolate/yoghurt/fruit but changed to one portion of fruit one day and 2 pieces of dark chocolate the next day. I didn't really plan this, it just sort of happened.

The reason it takes time to get used to primal and not everyone loses weight at first is because your body will need to heal from any damage it suffered before. It also takes time to get your head around a new way of eating. Every time I eat a delicious meal I say to myself, I can't believe this is not going to make me fat! And when I do my monthly weigh-in I say, I can't believe I've lost weight when I eat so much!

The transition from carb-aholic to fat-aholic has been tricky but I made it work by finding my own way of doing it, which for me has meant focusing more on eating quality foods for healing, and viewing the weight loss as a bonus. Had I been worrying about thing like calorie deficits, macronutrient ratios, meal times etc., I honestly don't think I would have lost 21 lbs in 3 months!
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 06-02-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
    Perfectly said.

Looking back I think what worked for me was gradual changes. So breakfast gradually moved to later in the day. Snacks started off as fruit/yoghurt/nuts but changed to just nuts, then later were phased out. Pudding started off dark chocolate/yoghurt/fruit but changed to one portion of fruit one day and 2 pieces of dark chocolate the next day. I didn't really plan this, it just sort of happened.

The reason it takes time to get used to primal and not everyone loses weight at first is because your body will need to heal from any damage it suffered before. It also takes time to get your head around a new way of eating. Every time I eat a delicious meal I say to myself, I can't believe this is not going to make me fat! And when I do my monthly weigh-in I say, I can't believe I've lost weight when I eat so much!

The transition from carb-aholic to fat-aholic has been tricky but I made it work by finding my own way of doing it, which for me has meant focusing more on eating quality foods for healing, and viewing the weight loss as a bonus. Had I been worrying about thing like calorie deficits, macronutrient ratios, meal times etc., I honestly don't think I would have lost 21 lbs in 3 months!

This is what I need to be concentrating on much more. Instead of doing it primarily for weight loss goals (and hoping good health is an additional benefit) I need to do it for health reasons with weight loss as the benefit. For some stupid reason I have spent years thinking I can just beat my body into submission but clearly that doesn't work and I honestly don't think I will ever lose the weight and keep it off until I address things more at a cellular level as there is obviously a whole lot more going on inside me than i ever think I will be fully aware of. You just can't go wrong if you are eating this way IMO. I started gaining weight on Primal, freaked out and stopped. Sometimes I think it needs to get worse before it can get better. I have been told that I am malnourished (at 60 pounds overweight!) so I guess when all that healthy primal foods get in, my body ends up craving huge amounts of it and I ended up eating rather huge portions of healthy food (especially fats) and hello weight gain. Too much of anything will obviously not help with gaining weight but obviously my body figured it needs the nutrients! Maybe my body needs some time to realize that this type and quality of food will be coming in on a consistant basis and a day will come when my appetite will decrease to more normal levels. I just need to mentally jump this hurdle so I can continue on to the other side called 'satiety'!

Congratulations on the weight loss!! That is fantastic! I would be stoked to lose that amount in that timeframe!
    Last edited by TARNIP; 06-02-2012 at 08:58 PM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    [/B]

For some stupid reason I have spent years thinking I can just beat my body into submission but clearly that doesn't work and I honestly don't think I will ever lose the weight and keep it off until I address things more at a cellular level as there is obviously a whole lot more going on inside me than i ever think I will be fully aware of.
    That is so so so true. I used to think that my not being able to maintain the weight I wanted was because of emotional issues. Going primal has made me realise that the body has an intelligence that goes way beyond our minds, and that physiological impulses govern our behaviour. What a relief. Instead of beating myself up now every time I need to eat a lot, I recognise that there's something going on at a cellular level, and I have faith that by going with it, and eating as much unrefined food as I need to at that moment, things will gradually balance and sort themselves out I put my body through a decade of abuse - it won't reverse overnight

This is exactly what I have been going through. I have put my body through hell for a very long time now (under the assumption that I was healthy and doing everything right by getting in my 10-12 servings of daily grains as per the healthy food pyramid!). I am now going to do things differently by eating really good quality foods when I am hungry and if I happen to eat too much of them, just realize that the time will come when my body will be able to better regulate my appetite just knowing that the good foods will be delivered on a daily basis! After all, if I fail at this what is the alternative? Primal is what I keep coming back to as it just makes too much sense to ignore. I just need to realize that even if it doesn't happen immediately, it will happen! Patience is the key (and unfortunately something I need a lot more of!)

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is exactly what I have been going through. I have put my body through hell for a very long time now (under the assumption that I was healthy and doing everything right by getting in my 10-12 servings of daily grains as per the healthy food pyramid!). I am now going to do things differently by eating really good quality foods when I am hungry and if I happen to eat too much of them, just realize that the time will come when my body will be able to better regulate my appetite just knowing that the good foods will be delivered on a daily basis! After all, if I fail at this what is the alternative? Primal is what I keep coming back to as it just makes too much sense to ignore. I just need to realize that even if it doesn't happen immediately, it will happen! Patience is the key (and unfortunately something I need a lot more of!)
    Tarnip, I'm quite new to the whole thing too, but I find that it's actually easier to be patient on Primal, because for the first time this is something that makes complete sense. Everything else I've tried had bits that were vague. I know if I keep eating good, unrefined food, everything else will fall into place Good luck!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast