Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snacking - what are your views? page 2

SleepyRoots is offline Member
    Shop Now
    A couple of days with no meals and very little snacking. I can't remember who suggested that metric in the first place, and I tested it rather accidentally.
    What you describe sounds like me at first. The first days I would definitely crash if I didn't eat fairly often. From my experience I'd say eat when you can and how much you can manage. I was stuck in bed for most of the day as well at the time, and I pretty much subsisted on deli meats, cheese, nuts and hard boiled eggs.
    IF is something you try after your body has adjusted to things. For now, snack away until you get your hypoglycaemia under control.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    That definitely sounds like hypoglycemia. I have had it for most of my life, but changing to this way of eating has eliminated all of my symptoms. At first, I snacked because I thought I needed to. Then I realized I didn't anymore. I find now that I feel better if I don't snack and just have big, hearty meals.

One issue I think you're having is that I found that animal fat and protein at every meal is absolutely necessary to alleviate my symptoms. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to stop snacking, but I think it's probably healthier. If you want to get down to two or three meals with no snacks, you're going to need plenty of protein and fat - which may mean alot more eggs and fish, or it may mean rethinking your vegetarianism.
    I know, I read recently that being veggie can exasperate hypoglycemia... I was vegan, so I've started eating eggs and dairy. I know dairy isn't primal but I thought it would be a good way to get some saturated fats?

To be honest I just can't see myself ever eating meat three times a day. This will probably sound stupid, but if I ate beef once a month do you think that would help with the hypoglycemia?! I am really tired of the insomnia... (no word play intended!)

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyRoots View Post
    IF is something you try after your body has adjusted to things. For now, snack away until you get your hypoglycaemia under control.
    Good advice... thank you!

SleepyRoots is offline Member
    Dairy is primal, but not paleo. Some people here avoid it by personal choice, but don't feel any less because you have it. I dropped it for lent, but I had severe issues getting in enough calories, so I have some, despite being mildly intolerant.

Do you think you will be able to cope with fish again? I think Mark said somewhere that meat isn't hugely necessary as long as there is plenty of seafood in the diet. I was vegan some years ago, and salmon was the first animal thing i could stomach again.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I know, I read recently that being veggie can exasperate hypoglycemia... I was vegan, so I've started eating eggs and dairy. I know dairy isn't primal but I thought it would be a good way to get some saturated fats?

To be honest I just can't see myself ever eating meat three times a day. This will probably sound stupid, but if I ate beef once a month do you think that would help with the hypoglycemia?! I am really tired of the insomnia... (no word play intended!)
    I understand. I was vegetarian for a while and honestly believed I would never crave a steak again, but my body has acclimated pretty quickly and I have no problem eating meat at almost every meal.

If you have no ethical problems with reintroducing meat to your diet, I think that you should really consider it. I think that it will help alot with the hypoglycemia and you'll find that you feel better. Once a month is not enough to reduce your symptoms.

I've seen alot of people say "I know dairy isn't primal but..." Actually, IIRC, Mark's take on it is that if you tolerate it well (no lactose intolerance or bovine protein allergies), it's fine. I eat plenty of dairy. The problem with dairy is that you have to eat so much of it to get even a reasonable amount of protein. There's a similar issue with eggs. You might be able to get enough fat, but I think you're going to have a hard time getting as much protein as your body needs without meat.

Don't go straight to beef. Start slow, with some white fish or chicken breast, and see how you feel.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I thought I was hypoglycemic for years, I slept poorly and if I woke during the night I'd often have to eat. That went away when I starting eating primal and taking magnesium before bed. I eat animal protein at every meal and rarely snack. The only thing I can think of that might help while staying vegetarian is to eat more coconut oil, maybe a drink of coconut milk enriched with coconut oil before bed.

Thanks Danielle and Sleepy Roots.

The vegetarianism was for a myriad of reasons... but from going primal I realise that my health reasons were misguided! So now it's only an ethical thing. I actually don't mind people eating meat - I think it's natural, but my problem is in how the animals are treated in order to become food. I live in the U.K, and the parameters for what constitutes "organic" and "free-range" are just laughable. I believe it's even worse with fish.

Being veggie I don't have to engage with all that. However, I am starting to think that being veggie is actually a lazy way out of the whole thing. It would be much better to campaign for conditions that create better quality meat (and a happier life for the animals).

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I thought I was hypoglycemic for years, I slept poorly and if I woke during the night I'd often have to eat. That went away when I starting eating primal and taking magnesium before bed. I eat animal protein at every meal and rarely snack. The only thing I can think of that might help while staying vegetarian is to eat more coconut oil, maybe a drink of coconut milk enriched with coconut oil before bed.
    That's a great idea - thank you! I actually thought I read that mg supplements can be bad for hypoglycemic insomnia..?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

Before paleo/primal, I was snacking and eating and thinking about eating all the time. My husband is from Italy, where the CW is that snacking will make you fat, and if you want to lose weight, just stop snacking. After i upped my protein and cut out grains, It was significantly easier to stop snacking and now I usually eat two meals per day within a 6-8 hour window, sometimes one meal per day. I feel so much better, it's like snacking was this unseen prison that kept me constantly freaked out about having access to foods at all times.

I also don't eat meat three times a day (obviously, since i usually have just 2 meals), but there are some days where one meal is more veggie/fruit/carb/fat based with no meat. For example, today I actually am 'eating' three times - but the first 'meal' was a smoothie with coconut milk, a spoon of coconut oil, a spoon of molasses, a banana, and a spoon of raw cocoa powder. This was before my gym workout. Then after the gym I had a risotto (no meat). For dinner, I'll have a meat-heavy meal. Some other days I might have one meal of eggs, onion, and liver, and the other one might be fish with veggies or sweet potatoes. I feel best when I mix it up, have some meat-focused days and some lower-meat days, but that's me. You definitely don't need to eat meat with every meal, but maybe having some with your first meal of the day, and having the other meals be fattier might help.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    I see that many people who eat Primal don't feel hungry between meals. How long did it take before your hunger began to subside? And is no snacking an ideal of the Primal lifestyle?
    “Eat Like A Predator, Not Like Prey”: The Paleo Diet In Six Easy Steps, A Motivational Guide - GNOLLS.ORG
    Why Snacking Makes You Weak, Not Just Fat - GNOLLS.ORG

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast