Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I in ketosis? And Should I not be? page

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member

Am I in ketosis? And Should I not be?

Primal Fuel
    Here is a sample of my daily menu:

Breakfast: bacon, avocado, or leftover meat from dinner

Lunch: a meat and veggies like spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, or something of the like

Snack: this is the best part of my day! Protein smoothie made from pea protein (cant do whey), mixed with fresh juiced spinach, chard, watercress, kale, or a mix of them all and a carrot, and coconut milk.

Dinner: same as lunch

Notes: no nuts, no potatoes, no rice, occasional fruit

I have had an increase in sweating and body odor. I usually can go deodorant free, but not since PB. My skin is also breaking out a lot more. I take zinc, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, and vit d supplements. And I am trying to rebuild muscle and even add some fat to my body composition. I'm at 21 percent body fat, and I at least want to maintain that. Am I eating enough carbs to stay out of ketosis? Would the extra body odor be coming from ketosis?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    how long have you been eating that way? that's basically a ketogenic diet. can't say for sure re. your body odor issue, sometimes new foods, any new foods, can do that.

3 months or so... Only new foods would be the chard, watercress, and kale. Detox symptom maybe?

I don't digest starchy things well. Should I increase my digestive enzyme dosage and increase starches? I had a candida issue that I was treating and really limited sugars and starch... Will that cause another imbalance?

you're definitely in ketosis! i don't really like ketogenic diets, but if you're happy, i'm happy. as for not being able to digest starch or sugar... look everyone's a bit different, but that doesn't really jive with my understanding of human anatomy. but do what feels best, if your health is good!

Well, I'm not happy with it because I'm not gaining weight. I'm 110 lbs, and I look like I'm 12. My happy weight is 120-125. I started paleo bc of leaky gut. So to heal my gut and candida, I cut out starches. So anatomically speaking, I'm not working like a healthy person. How much is needed to get out of ketosis food quantity wise. I hate keeping up with grams... So like add a banana and some extra carrots kind of thing?

add some real starch. a banana or ripe plantain, if you're looking for fruit sources, or sweet potatoes, real potatoes, taro, cassava, green plantains, or even white rice, if you're looking for veg.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I think that ketosis is a great, short-term way to kick-start weight loss (among other benefits), but shouldn't be a daily way of life. And if you want to gain rather than lose weight, you need more carbs. If your candida is under control, I would definitely add at least one medium sweet potato or a couple of bananas a day. Increase probiotics and digestive enzymes too if you need to.

I noticed that my body odor has changed slightly too... I think that for some people that's just a side effect of eating more protein.

Mostly I would say don't eat the same thing every day. Change things up until you find your sweet spot (where you feel and look your best). Some people find they gain weight if they eat dairy or bananas... but my sweet spot includes both of those things. Everyone is going to have some slight variations within this way of eating - that's why it's great that it's so flexible. So play with it, experiment, and find what works for YOU. Clearly, ketosis is not what works for you.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    What the others have said. If you feel and function better with more starch in your diet then by all means change it up a few times each week with some bananas, sweet potatoes, etc. I was eating rather low carb while shedding the blubber but now I have this flexibility where I can run off either fat or carbs and feel no difference either which way. Some days are much like yours with no problems and then on lifting days I eat a couple bananas or 3, have a little white rice or even just honey straight out of the jar.

I've gained a few pounds but it's lean muscle mass so no complaints really.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    What the others have said. If you feel and function better with more starch in your diet then by all means change it up a few times each week with some bananas, sweet potatoes, etc. I was eating rather low carb while shedding the blubber but now I have this flexibility where I can run off either fat or carbs and feel no difference either which way. Some days are much like yours with no problems and then on lifting days I eat a couple bananas or 3, have a little white rice or even just honey straight out of the jar.

I've gained a few pounds but it's lean muscle mass so no complaints really.
    I'd like to gain muscle mass as well. I just tried some starch for snack, and now I feel bloated. That's what happens when I get starchy. But I don't want to stay in ketosis all the time. Should I give my gut more time to heal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast