Thread: Strained Hip Flexor page

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member

Strained Hip Flexor

Primal Fuel
    Not sure how I did it exactly, but at some point during my hike yesterday my hip flexor started hurting like a mo-fo. Any thoughts on how to treat it?

Time as it is, rest is nearly impossible since you engage it when you sit up, stand up and walk - and I'm not going to lie down prone for a whole day or two . . .

Or do I just suck it up and keep moving through it?
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I've pulled mine twice this year doing split jerks. I stayed away from running, minimized unnecessary walking, and avoided exercises that really affect it (e.g. the aforementioned split jerks, lunges, and wall balls). After a few days, the pain went away and I just took it easy for another week or two to make sure it was healed up properly.

paleo pika is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    Not sure how I did it exactly, but at some point during my hike yesterday my hip flexor started hurting like a mo-fo. Any thoughts on how to treat it?

Time as it is, rest is nearly impossible since you engage it when you sit up, stand up and walk - and I'm not going to lie down prone for a whole day or two . . .

Or do I just suck it up and keep moving through it?
    I get hip flexor strain after hockey tournaments from time to time, sometimes it's so bad I have to use my arms to help pull my leg up to get into the car, go up stairs sideways, etc.

Once it's past the unbearable part, for which my only solution is ice and ibuprofin, I turn to the awful PITA foam roller. It hurts so bad, but afterward I feel much better. If you belong to a gym they might have one or else they're 20-30 bucks on Amazon or at your local fitness store-type place.