Thread: adventure racing - training page

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member

adventure racing - training

Primal Fuel
    Well I admit it, I am in a mid life crisis and about to sign up for a 1/2 (mini) adventure race in November. would have signed up for the full length version but all places sold out in 3 days flat...So down to do the mini one instead.

The 1/2 coarse distance is as follows - 3.4km trail run - 600m swim - 6.4km ski/kayak paddle - 13.4km mountain bike and finished witha 2.4km beach run.

My current level of fitness - I can swim 1hr at the pool 1800m doing 100-200m repeats with 1/2-1min rest, can swim 300-400m with out stopping, I can run 5km non stop (slow). No problems biking 20km commute to work on roads (~1hr each way on a MTB with knobbly's) and I can Standup paddle 10-15kms and paddle a fat slow fishing Kayak 10km's no problems but will need to get on a faster kayak/ski for the race. So the fitness base is slowly been built and now I just need to concentrate on getting the swim up to 600m non stops, the paddling sorted and stringing a few legs into brick sessions.

My proposed Training Plan for the next 4-6 weeks is as follows:
    Mon - Rest day
    Tue - Ride bike to work and home (40km return 20 km each way, 2hrs total)
    Wed - Pool swim (30-45mins) working on building my 100m sets up to a 600m swim
    Thur -Kettle bell Tabat or body weight session morning, sprint session lunch or evening
    Frid - Rest day or pool swim pending how I feel
    Sat - Paddle ski training 1-2hrs, afternoon bike ride or swim
    Sun - Beach jog 30mins and either beach swim or surf

After 4-6 weeks I will start to brick a few legs together one day on the weekend, I will also monitor how I am going and reduce either time that I train or days I train or drop KB/BW.

Appreciate any comments/changes on training plan or tips. I am also looking at doing a 4 day MT bike race the weekend before the adventure race, but will hold off entering that for a couple of months to see how I am going with above training plan. The 4 day MTB race will be about 3 hours per day traveling 220 km over the event so will up my bike riding the last couple of months.

Any other adventure racers on here. Looking fwd to this and kids are keen to do a junior version as well (45min obstacle coarse)
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Rochxyde is offline Junior Member
    I haven't done an adventure race (yet!) however, my boyfriend's step-father has done many and loves them! I can't offer training advice for this, but you seem to have a great start here! I personally find that I always surprise myself when training for longer distances (completed first Olympic distance triathlon 4/29 and am training for my first marathon now).

Have you thought about nutrition? For my Olympic Tri I fasted before-hand and ate some jerky and raw macadamias and cashews after the swim and bike. I wore a CamelBak for water. My boyfriend's step-father used to do the 12-35 hr adventure races and would bring small, cooked potatoes to eat during.

Hi,

Looking fwed to this race as I luv the outdoor life style and been in the bush or ocean is always great fun.

Currently eating 99-95% paelo/primal and training is fine. I think as its only a short duration 2-3 hours I will be fine and will go with the old skool bannana, nut paste and water. I am comfy exercising doing sports (surfing, SUP, biking) etc for 2-3 hours without food. I have done plenty of hard all day mountain off track hiking and hunting using water salami, cheese for fuel.

Just had a four day weekend and trained a couple of times every day (swimming, biking, 5km run's, weights and walks etc) and feeling good

Cheers

Rochxyde is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like it will be tons of fun then!

Hi I thought I would give an update on how the training is going after ~ 6 weeks (about 14 weeks to go to race day). I have used the last Month to build fitness and strength and develop skills (swim, ski paddling, running) I am currently doing the following training

Mon - Rest day/Yoga/walk or light jog
    Tue - Swim squad training 1 hour swimming typically 2000m plus. Tuesday Night 1.5 hours of surf ski paddling
    Wed - ride bike to work (20kms each way) and/or a High intensity Kettlebell training
    Thur -Yoga or Body weight session, Evening ski paddling 1.5 hours interval training
    Frid - Swim squad training 1 hour swimming typically 2000m plus
    Sat - Typically I either surf or Paddle ski training 1-2hrs, afternoon bike ride or light run jog
    Sun - Beach day surfing having fun, might ride bike in afternoon if I feel like it and do the Kettlebell work out evening

Fitness has built pretty well over the last 6 weeks. Pulled up with a sore calf muscle a week an half ago so have backed off running, also had a couple of light weeks in there with work travel overseas. Feeling the fittest I have been for a while havent seen any significant drop in weight but have toned up and dropped a belt hole or two.

I can now jog for 6-7km without stopping, swim 600-700m non stop, ride 30-40kms and paddle for 1.5hours. Need to increase my speed as I am a very slow runner, slowest swimmer in squad and slowest paddler in the groups I train with

Goal for the next 6 weeks is to build endurance (longer ski paddles, bike rides, jogs/runs if calf comes right) and start to brick a 10-15min run after a 45 min bike etc on weekends. I also need to spend more time on the surf ski in the open ocean and get use to chop/waves.

The middle 4 weeks will be used to build speed, High intensity drills, hill sprints (bike/runs), KB workouts, swim sprint sessions

The last four weeks will be to work on skills, MTB off road, open ocean swims, trail runs and brick a few sessions together on weekends. Really enjoying the challange of learning new skills and working on techniques (swim, ski paddling) and feeling myself getting fitter.

Cheers a not so fat slow frog hoping to hop off the lilly pad and become the fastest frog in the pond