Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caffeine? page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    I gave up coffee on my neurologist's orders. The frequency of my seizures dropped off dramatically. Migraines went away too.

Now most people say, "Well I don't have epilepsy. That doesn't apply to me." I think that most people can get by with drinking coffee but, if it causes anyone's brain to have more seizures, it probably isn't really very good for anyone.

Total agreement with lizmint. People get really defensive about their addictions.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I gave it up for about a month a while back, and my energy levels totally stabilized and I felt a lot better. I now drink it once or twice a week, but I'm contemplating giving it up for another month and then seeing if I want it after that. I think the quality of the coffee is extremely important here -- the presence of mycotoxins might determine whether or not your coffee is worth drinking.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    The difference for me with regards to coffee is that I used to drink a pot of it every day just to stay functional during the afternoon blood sugar crash. Now I drink a cup or 2 a couple of days a week just to get that slight buzz but not as a crutch to make it through the day.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    I cannot imagine life without my coffee. If I have more than two cups I get anxious and off the wall, so i know it defintely affects me. However, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't take drugs and I don't eat chocolate. I need a vice so I'll make it coffee thanks! I do still have it with a bit of milk, I tried cream for a couple of weeks and gained weight.

Vega is offline Member
    I quit caffeine (again) a few months back. I didn't even have much, maybe averaged about a cup of coffee or so a day. I seem to be fairly sensitive to it. When I'm off, I can wake up easier in the mornings, I have more energy in general, and I can even stay up later at night. I also have less PMS symptoms and less anxiety in general.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    This is the one topic in this forum community that really bothers me. We have people (this is a generalization, dont take it personal), that will not eat over 30 carbs at a meal, would never touch prescription drugs and even don't use any soap or shampoo to lessen their "toxic load", yet they will drink 3 cups of coffee a day. If you are using it as your one remaining vice, then fine I understand, but everyone seems to think it's "safe" just bc nutritionally it is zero cals and provides some antioxidants. How about the fact that when you drink it regularly as a means to wake up it down-regulates your dopamine receptors over time? Or that it promotes estrogen conversion which can indirectly decrease testosterone? Or that it can give you uneven cortisol response to daily stressors?

If it's just your "thing" then I don't care, by all means, enjoy it. But let's remember, a lot of us on here had no idea how damaging grains were to our bodies UNTIL we CLEARED them from our bodies and felt the difference. I really am not preaching or suggesting that you give it up if it means that much to you, it just bothers me the tone that coffee seems untouchable when it can be just as damaging as anything else you are trying to avoid if used regularly.

icz
    icz is offline Member
    I've not read any compelling evidence from reputable sources that show that coffee is on balance negative for health. If one is a purist, sure -- take everything except fruit, veg, and meat out of the diet. However, I have been know to roast my own coffee - that seems at least primal-ish to me. And for me, that is enough. And like I said, there is not a balance sheet of evidence against its healthfulness.

And I, like a PP, have also given it up a number of times. I, also, felt no different. No better sleep, no less anxiety, nada. But I tell you what, the first cup back is always a fun trip!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I have never understood coffee hatred. But, then again, I'm your typical "he can't sit still so give him pills" kind of guy, and the neanderthal/aspergers studies to point to frequent use of caffeinated herbs in that species - so maybe I was born to hit the caffeine, and not everybody was.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I drink it, not because I need coffee, but I enjoy the taste, and smell.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I gave up coffee on my neurologist's orders. The frequency of my seizures dropped off dramatically. Migraines went away too.

Now most people say, "Well I don't have epilepsy. That doesn't apply to me." I think that most people can get by with drinking coffee but, if it causes anyone's brain to have more seizures, it probably isn't really very good for anyone.

Total agreement with lizmint. People get really defensive about their addictions.

Funny. My neuro said that it's fine to drink coffee so long as it's the only caffeinated thing that I consume and that I ensure that I am getting adequate sleep. I don't need it (no addiction issue) but I do enjoy the taste of it. I can easily go days without it (which I've done in the past), but I drink it usually during my IF and/or on my walks to work/dog park. I like the taste of good quality coffee just as much as I do good quality dry red wine.
    Last edited by Metric; 06-01-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast